Author Topic: Thoughts On U2 increasing ticket prices from $162.50 to $250.00 in bad economy  (Read 5269 times)

Offline bobbyd48

• Babyface
Love U2 like no other. Ive been to 16 shows. Very dissapointed they raised prices. Coldplay on the other hand kept prices the same as they did on their 2005 tour. I know I know Coldplay is not U2 but im interested in fans opinion. I will still go and have $98.00 tickets for Gillette stadium. I could have got the $250.00 tickets but decided against it. What do you guys think?

Offline beershack

• Wanderer
Livenation paid U2 millions of dollars and decided the optimum amount to charge in order to start earning a return on their investment

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
i think a lot of artists/promoters/venues saw their premium seats in previous tours being resold in secondary markets for quite a lot more than face value

they realized that the face value of the premium tickets were below the market value and were frustrated that scalpers were profiting and not them, so they adjusted accordingly.

the ticketing business as we know it will continue to change.  there is speculation that premium seats will be auctioned off by ticketmaster in the future.  in effect, this already takes place behind the scenes.  ticketmaster already sets aside the best seats in the house and puts them on it's ticketfast auction site.  below links explain further.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

another thought is what u2 has already stated:  they are subsidizing the $30 seats w/ the $250 seats.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:57:45 PM by chadp123 »

Offline FatSkippy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
They need 120 trucks to cart their equipment/stage from show to show, that cant be cheap

Offline ricky

• Babyface
They need 120 trucks to cart their equipment/stage from show to show, that cant be cheap

Yea, but they now have a sponsor for this tour - Blackberry to help cover those costs.

I thought Bono said in some interview (Rolling Stone ? - will look it up) that in these tough economic times ticket prices would be reasonable. To me reasonable means less that $100 for most seats. Maybe $150 for the best.

Offline ricky

• Babyface
In the latest Rolling Stone Issue #1075 (Blake Lively Ice Cream cover) page 14...

Longtime show director Willie Williams is quoted as saying "in a nod to the econmic crisis, tickets will be priced as low as $30"

Anyone out there paying $30 ? From what I'm reading in these threads people are spending that much just in the service fees.

Offline Dfit00

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Sing for your sanity
Hey, I am a Colplay fan too! They are my second favorite band after U2.  :D

Well yeah, concert tickets are expensive, especially for a band for like U2.

Why don't you get general admission (GA) tickets for your U2 concert? They are about $70 with the services fees.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
i think a lot of artists/promoters/venues saw their premium seats in previous tours being resold in secondary markets for quite a lot more than face value

they realized that the face value of the premium tickets were below the market value and were frustrated that scalpers were profiting and not them, so they adjusted accordingly.

the ticketing business as we know it will continue to change.  there is speculation that premium seats will be auctioned off by ticketmaster in the future.  in effect, this already takes place behind the scenes.  ticketmaster already sets aside the best seats in the house and puts them on it's ticketfast auction site.  below links explain further.

another thought is what u2 has already stated:  they are subsidizing the $30 seats w/ the $250 seats.

Great article & thanks for posting!   I'm not that surprised that artists are doing that but it still bugs me!   :P
I'd say they're not just subsidizing cheaper seats ( which is fine) & costs but I'd say also declining album sales due to illegal downloads.   

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
The band has spread the price out pretty well, and some of the best seats (GA) are some of the cheapest.
I would love liked to see a few more tickets in the $95, but other than that it is hard to complain. As long as their are people who are going to pay any price to see the band over and over again during a single tour, the market for the tickets are going to be pretty high. Sell stadiums out in minutes, and you can pretty much charge whatever the hell you want.

Offline squiggles

• Wanderer
i don't really have a big problem with the prices...most tickets ARE under 100. i don't know what the breakdown is - i read it somewhere but forgot - but there aren't all that many tix for 250. The way this thread is titled kinda makes it seem as though this is the price for the majority of tix. Though if pple wanna pay that and can afford it, i don't mind b/c it's subsidizing the GA people's tix and those few even cheaper ones. 

It doesn't seem to me that people are getting stuck w/ either buying 250$ tickets or not going at all. Plus, for a lot of pple, the "best" tickets are $55 (but not for me, since I've never loved GA). So yeah, 100$ tickets (which are in the MID range) are on the pricey side though I don't think it's unreasonable...and if I need to pay that ONCE every five years to see them, so be it. But of course, you've got the scalpers who will have a field day jacking up these prices...that is when things get crazy.  :-\

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
i don't really have a big problem with the prices...most tickets ARE under 100. i don't know what the breakdown is - i read it somewhere but forgot - but there aren't all that many tix for 250. The way this thread is titled kinda makes it seem as though this is the price for the majority of tix. Though if pple wanna pay that and can afford it, i don't mind b/c it's subsidizing the GA people's tix and those few even cheaper ones. 

It doesn't seem to me that people are getting stuck w/ either buying 250$ tickets or not going at all. Plus, for a lot of pple, the "best" tickets are $55 (but not for me, since I've never loved GA). So yeah, 100$ tickets (which are in the MID range) are on the pricey side though I don't think it's unreasonable...and if I need to pay that ONCE every five years to see them, so be it. But of course, you've got the scalpers who will have a field day jacking up these prices...that is when things get crazy.  :-\

There are around 10,000 tickets priced at $250. In smaller markets, that means about 8,000 empty seats on the lower level. It's going to look really cool.

Offline green19

• Babyface
If every seat was $250 I would have a problem, but these are smaller sections not near the front (at least at Gillette, I haven't studied other venues) meant for those with fat wallets, or an irresistable impulse to give Bono as much money as possible. The option is there, but you don't have to take it. As you said, you can be closer to the action for the $97 seats and the $55 floor.

Love U2 like no other. Ive been to 16 shows. Very dissapointed they raised prices. Coldplay on the other hand kept prices the same as they did on their 2005 tour. I know I know Coldplay is not U2 but im interested in fans opinion. I will still go and have $98.00 tickets for Gillette stadium. I could have got the $250.00 tickets but decided against it. What do you guys think?

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
There are many levels of prices to choose from....so they raised the high end prices but lowered the low end......and I mean no disrespect to the group, but you knew either way, they're(group, management,TM,Live Nation) going to get their money, one way or another. I will be going to Foxboro on the $54 second level seating....and CAN'T WAIT!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:40:46 PM by wrldchamps04 »

Offline squiggles

• Wanderer

There are around 10,000 tickets priced at $250. In smaller markets, that means about 8,000 empty seats on the lower level. It's going to look really cool.
[/quote]

This is, relatively speaking, a very small amount though...Giants stadium, for example, has a capacity close to 80K I believe...and I bet these tix will certainly sell by show day.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still

This is, relatively speaking, a very small amount though...Giants stadium, for example, has a capacity close to 80K I believe...and I bet these tix will certainly sell by show day.
[/quote]

I probably exaggerated 8,000 empty seats, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it's around half in a place like Norman. The stadium there holds nearly 85,000 and it's a small market. I have no doubt they'll sell all the seats in NY.

Also, they earlier said that 85% of the ticket prices will be $95 or below. Even in 60,000 seat stadium, 15% is still 9,000 seats. I just think it's going to look weird in the smaller markets with empty seats closest to the stage. I know their main concern is making a profit as opposed to having a full stadium, but even then, if I do my math correct, selling 10,000 seats at $150 makes more than selling 5,000 seats at $250. I guess I'll find out in a few months if they know what they're doing.

Finally, there's only one other thing I don't like about the ticket prices...$95 to $250. It just seems like a more progressive pricing system would be better. I don't like the idea of someone with a $95 ticket being a few yards away from someone with a $250 ticket. That's how I'm seeing it at least. If I'm wrong, someone let me know. If it went $200, $150, $125, $95, that's a little different. On the last tour, it was $55-95-$160, or something close to that. I guess the more I'm thinking about this, it's the jump that bothers me more than the price.  :o