Author Topic: Thoughts On U2 increasing ticket prices from $162.50 to $250.00 in bad economy  (Read 5272 times)

Offline squiggles

• Wanderer
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are around 10,000 tickets priced at $250. In smaller markets, that means about 8,000 empty seats on the lower level. It's going to look really cool.

This is, relatively speaking, a very small amount though...Giants stadium, for example, has a capacity close to 80K I believe...and I bet these tix will certainly sell by show day.

I probably exaggerated 8,000 empty seats, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it's around half in a place like Norman. The stadium there holds nearly 85,000 and it's a small market. I have no doubt they'll sell all the seats in NY.

Also, they earlier said that 85% of the ticket prices will be $95 or below. Even in 60,000 seat stadium, 15% is still 9,000 seats. I just think it's going to look weird in the smaller markets with empty seats closest to the stage. I know their main concern is making a profit as opposed to having a full stadium, but even then, if I do my math correct, selling 10,000 seats at $150 makes more than selling 5,000 seats at $250. I guess I'll find out in a few months if they know what they're doing.

Finally, there's only one other thing I don't like about the ticket prices...$95 to $250. It just seems like a more progressive pricing system would be better. I don't like the idea of someone with a $95 ticket being a few yards away from someone with a $250 ticket. That's how I'm seeing it at least. If I'm wrong, someone let me know. If it went $200, $150, $125, $95, that's a little different. On the last tour, it was $55-95-$160, or something close to that. I guess the more I'm thinking about this, it's the jump that bothers me more than the price.  :o
[/quote]

Yeah i do hear you...that is a pretty big jump. I'd be pretty interested to see exactly where these $250 seats are...perhaps in Edge's pocket? But i'm happy with my 95ers.  :)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
No act is worth US$250

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
No act is worth US$250

obviously not for you!   I think so and obviously hundreds of thousands of other people do too!   ;D
I'd much rather see 1 U2 show than 4 crap er lesser bands.   :)

On the jump in price points, mr.jedi, I can agree with that.  Its a big spread and stepped would make more sense.
Who knows but I would imagine that LN, TM & Principle Mgmt did their math and came up with those amounts.

daveyg

Equation in units of money

(Blackberry sponsorship+inordinate prices for tickets+richest band promising "affordable tickets" > cost of putting on show) = $$$$$$$$

andyt

Do you really think U2 give a sh*t if you can afford a ticket or not?

daveyg

Not in the slighest! They'll tell you they do but I doubt Bono's lost a minute's sleep over it!

andyt

Not in the slighest! They'll tell you they do but I doubt Bono's lost a minute's sleep over it!

Quite...

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
For all those that can't stop moaning...

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
SO, what happens concert night if...uhm....some of those $250 seats are empty?

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
SO, what happens concert night if...uhm....some of those $250 seats are empty?

The same thing that happened at Madonna's last concert in Chicago-they offered those seats to people in the furthest nosebleeds. I know, because my friend and I ended up in $300 dollar seats after having paid $95. Different people around us had been given different reasons (lighting moved, VIP's didn't show, etc). Whatever the reason I really liked our seats. ;D
They were filming a video that night and I guess those empties didn't look good on film.

Birdlover

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
I think it is the $95 to $250 jump that bothers most people and it is quite a leap. And I think that the amount of $250 seats still out here show ht they may have overshot on the high end seats. I find it weird that, for $95, I am going to be sitting in the lower arena four seats away from someone who paid $250. I am not complaining though - I love my seats! And while they may have overshot on the high end tickets, you have to applaud the band for continuously offering the best seats near the stage at some of the lowest prices.

Offline KMciver81

• Babyface
Hmm...

U2 is my favorite band, and has been for ages. I really feel like a U2 show is a special experience, among the handful that I treasure when I look back on all the things I've done. I'm not going to miss them live, even if I have to travel a very long way (and I often have).

If tickets were ONLY $250, that's what I'd cough up. But truth is, I haven't paid more than $55 (excluding "service charges") for a U2 ticket, EVER. On two shows on the last tour, I picked up tickets at below face value for the cheapest level (sat behind the stage once and sidestage for another) and I've done GA on the 2001 and 2005 tours.

This time, I've got GAs to L.A. and Vancouver, and $30 top-of-the-stadium seats for Vegas (which won't matter a bit given how small that place is). So even though I could pay $95 or $160 or $250, I just don't wanna. And I'd give a body part if necessary to see them.

So I just don't see why the outrage. It's not that hard to get tickets at a reasonable level, especially if you're willing to haunt fan boards, or bide your time on eBay or even come to the show and wait until just before showtime.

I don't begrudge those who have the desire and means to buy those $250 seats, nor do I begrudge the band or the promoters the right to charge that for some of the seats. But there's a whole lot of ways to see U2 and not come close to paying that much. And you'll still have a FABULOUS time.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
^ Refreshing post!   :)

On a related note to the ticket prices and economy, I saw last night on the news, that local hockey play-off tix are in huge abundance at this point, so many brokers and scalpers are getting screwed!  er... stuck with tix.    ;D  Tix are going for face or less than face at this point, and this is quite unusal but obviously b/c people are being careful about where they spend their money these days. 

So obviously most fans will have their tix for their shows but I wonder if that'll be the same case for U2 and other concerts this year? 

Offline rodander

• Babyface
For the Vertigo tour, was anybody around here stunned to see $250/ticket prices on the secondary market, esp. for the better seats?  Of course not.  (I paid $140 per for high in the upper deck, and that was a bargain compared with what others were going for.) 

So if the band/promoter etc. want to try to get some of that money, which reflects the obvious demand for their product, more power to them.  They are the ones at risk of loss if there are 10000 seats they didn't sell, but could have at lower prices. 

This ain't a charity they're running, and they have no moral obligation to the fans other than giving them their money's worth at the show or on the CD.  And they do that.

Offline green19

• Babyface
I wouldn't pay $250. But someone will, and good for them. Because this time there are 40,000-50,000 lower price tickets available, many closer to the action than the $250 ones, so they can't say $250 ones were the only tickets available or the best seats available. Buying them shows a true desire to give U2 as much money as possible. Why shouldn't U2 give people a chance to financially show their love?