Author Topic: Thoughts On U2 increasing ticket prices from $162.50 to $250.00 in bad economy  (Read 5271 times)

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i don't really have a big problem with the prices...most tickets ARE under 100. i don't know what the breakdown is - i read it somewhere but forgot - but there aren't all that many tix for 250. The way this thread is titled kinda makes it seem as though this is the price for the majority of tix. Though if pple wanna pay that and can afford it, i don't mind b/c it's subsidizing the GA people's tix and those few even cheaper ones. 

From what I can tell, virtually all lower level seats are 250.  In some venues the third level has 250.00 seats.

10% are supposedly $30.00.  Some of those may be good.  It's unfortunate that every map isn't like the the one in Amsterdam, which showed the prices in each section.

I've done the math before, and U2's ticket prices have gone up dramatically every single tour since Zoo.  Last tour seemed like they didn't go up as much, because the top level tickets only went up about $20.00 (before fees), but the number of $45.00 seats was down a lot.  On vertigo, at least half of the tix behind the stage were $100.00.  They were all $45.00 in 2001.  In Anaheim I saw uppers for 150.  Similar tickets were $85 on Elevation.

Yes, Live Nation wants to make money, but U2 get's a guarantee for each show and roughly 85% of the gross.  One can argue that it's an expensive show, but the fact is Elevation was not an expensive show, yet prices were more than double Popmart, which was Double ZooTV.

If the goal is cash, they're making the right moves.  If the goal was to try and get younger fans through the door they've failed...and the dramatic aging of the audience over the last 10 years makes that clear.  I saw virtually no younger fans (defined as college or younger) that didn't come with mom and dad on the last tour.  That's not good if the goal is to continue making and playing new music.

Then again, I wouldn't mind that nearly as much as I do if they were going deeper into older albums...but playing the same old warhorses tour after tour along with 4-6 news songs is kinda sad.  They're better than that....and frankly, an aging audience means a quieter audience which means a less interesting U2....because we're the 5th member of u2 live and we didn't show up at a good chunk of the shows I saw last tour :(

Finally, GA tickets aren't cheap.  $70.00 for a lottery ticket is expensive.  It's especially expensive when U2's system has typically reqired you to line up all day anyway, because if you didn't win, you probably wouldn't see anything (if you're tall, then the tickets are probably just cheap).

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
For the Vertigo tour, was anybody around here stunned to see $250/ticket prices on the secondary market, esp. for the better seats?  Of course not.  (I paid $140 per for high in the upper deck, and that was a bargain compared with what others were going for.) 

So if the secondary market sells 250 tickets for $500.00 you expect u2 to go to $500?
There's always people willing to spend more than face.  If you're  a stripper at Rick's Caberet in Houston, you can drop a grand on a ticket and not care, because you'll make that much Friday night.

As the bands raise ticket prices, they raise the price of scalped tickets.

So if the band/promoter etc. want to try to get some of that money, which reflects the obvious demand for their product, more power to them.  They are the ones at risk of loss if there are 10000 seats they didn't sell, but could have at lower prices. 

This ain't a charity they're running, and they have no moral obligation to the fans other than giving them their money's worth at the show or on the CD.  And they do that.

Don't think the band is risking that much....I believe that LN finances the tour and likely guarantees U2 a minimum each night.  I'm not sure how merchandising is working this tour, though I know that LN is running that as well.

You don't have to charge 250/ticket to assure success.  ZooTV broke even at $30.00/ticket (or $45.00 in current dollars).  ATP for this tour is probably $140-160 or roughly $100.00 in 1992 money.  That's a HUGE price hike and one that's not required to make a healthy profit....it works at gouging old fans and assuring younger folk think you're a bunch of old money grubbing dinosaurs...and yes, i recall plenty of people saying that about bands like the Stones when they were at this stage in their career.....and they'renot pulling in many new fans either....can't play new songs...because few will pay 250 to hear new songs.

Offline biggirlzrbest

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I bought $250 seats, so obviously I'm one of those willing to pay the big bucks to see the band and (hopefully) get the best possible seats - but my beef(s) are as follows:
*The venue diagrams should be more detailed so you really have a good idea about what you are getting for your money.
*If you have the opportunity to buy during the pre-sale, you should definitely get a CHOICE of seats.  When I tried to get tickets for the Tampa show I was offered the same seats over and over again - it was like I was "pre-assigned" to a certain section-and it wasn't the one I would have chosen if I'd had more options.
*Why were the most expensive seats in Europe averaging $180.00, but in the US they are $250 plus outrageous fees???

But for the most part, I agree with others who have voiced opinions on this subject.  After seeing how the secondary market sellers were raking in the bucks during the Vertigo tour, U2 and the promoters decided to make the money up front.  The one thing I hope it does is cut out some of the legalized scalping!  If I have to pay $250 to get the seats I want, then I will pay it to U2, not some organization that buys up tickets at face value and keeps legitimate fans from getting them!

Offline rodander

• Babyface

. . . .

As the bands raise ticket prices, they raise the price of scalped tickets.

Only if people pay it.

You don't have to charge 250/ticket to assure success.  ZooTV broke even at $30.00/ticket (or $45.00 in current dollars).  ATP for this tour is probably $140-160 or roughly $100.00 in 1992 money.  That's a HUGE price hike and one that's not required to make a healthy profit....it works at gouging old fans and assuring younger folk think you're a bunch of old money grubbing dinosaurs...and yes, i recall plenty of people saying that about bands like the Stones when they were at this stage in their career.....and they'renot pulling in many new fans either....can't play new songs...because few will pay 250 to hear new songs.

It's their toy.  If the market is bearing the higher prices (as it did for Vertigo), it seems silly for the one making the product to let others make the profit on it.

No need to define for others what their "healthy profit" should be. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:31:27 AM by rodander »

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
I bought $250 seats, so obviously I'm one of those willing to pay the big bucks to see the band and (hopefully) get the best possible seats - but my beef(s) are as follows:
*The venue diagrams should be more detailed so you really have a good idea about what you are getting for your money.
*If you have the opportunity to buy during the pre-sale, you should definitely get a CHOICE of seats.  When I tried to get tickets for the Tampa show I was offered the same seats over and over again - it was like I was "pre-assigned" to a certain section-and it wasn't the one I would have chosen if I'd had more options.
*Why were the most expensive seats in Europe averaging $180.00, but in the US they are $250 plus outrageous fees???

But for the most part, I agree with others who have voiced opinions on this subject.  After seeing how the secondary market sellers were raking in the bucks during the Vertigo tour, U2 and the promoters decided to make the money up front.  The one thing I hope it does is cut out some of the legalized scalping!  If I have to pay $250 to get the seats I want, then I will pay it to U2, not some organization that buys up tickets at face value and keeps legitimate fans from getting them!

I agree that diagrams should be better and there s/b choice of sections, whether with TM, LN or whatever ticket promoter.  It used to be that way but now TM definitely gives crap sections often first.  I've experienced this time and again when buying from TM.   >:(

As for cost of Europe vs. States, I think you have that wrong but only slightly.... On a quick check of Barcelona the tix are listed on TM: 

ASIENTO RESERVADO

30,00 - 150,00
ENTRADA GENERAL PISTA

E150 (euros) high end tix = approx. $225.00, so they're only slightly less expensive than in the US. 

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
i don't really have a big problem with the prices...most tickets ARE under 100. i don't know what the breakdown is - i read it somewhere but forgot - but there aren't all that many tix for 250. The way this thread is titled kinda makes it seem as though this is the price for the majority of tix. Though if pple wanna pay that and can afford it, i don't mind b/c it's subsidizing the GA people's tix and those few even cheaper ones. 

It doesn't seem to me that people are getting stuck w/ either buying 250$ tickets or not going at all. Plus, for a lot of pple, the "best" tickets are $55 (but not for me, since I've never loved GA). So yeah, 100$ tickets (which are in the MID range) are on the pricey side though I don't think it's unreasonable...and if I need to pay that ONCE every five years to see them, so be it. But of course, you've got the scalpers who will have a field day jacking up these prices...that is when things get crazy.  :-\

There are around 10,000 tickets priced at $250. In smaller markets, that means about 8,000 empty seats on the lower level. It's going to look really cool.

My local show (Tampa) is one I'd consider "smaller market," and our $250 seats were the first to sell out after the GAs. In fact they were gone from the Ticketmaster site three days after the general sale. There are still a few mid-level $95 seats available in the corners behind the stage, and beyond that nothing available besides upper deck. Besides, it's kind of extreme to assume they'd only sell +/- 2,000 tickets at the $250 price. As has been mentioned, brokers have been selling plenty of U2 tix for those prices (and far higher) for the past two arena tours.

With so many months between now and the shows, and so few shows here in the U.S. period, I'm pretty sure that come show time most of these stadiums will look pretty sold out. As fall draws near, the excitement, publicity, and general word-of-mouth buzz will certainly drive ticket sales. Further, you'll have some people seeing an early show on the tour, catching the "bug" and then making an impulse purchase to see it again in another city. I know I've done it before. I wouldn't worry about too many empty seats.