Author Topic: $30 tix my butt!  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
$30 tix my butt!
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
I just bought 4 tickets to the FedEx Field show here in the DC area.  I got 4 upper level tickets.  $30 face value/each.  After fees, $197/total.  you do the math.

at least i'm going.  I'm taking a couple of my kids to their first show.  the good news is that the seats are basically identical (although opposite side of the field) to my Redskins Season tickets so I know the view will be good. (40 yard line, 12th row). 

My only concern  is whether the top of the stage will somehow block the view of the screen for those of us sitting upstairs.  I hope not.

i hate ticketmaster.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
Re: $30 tix my butt!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:25:19 PM »
Are there no other official online ticket sellers in the US?
 In the UK we have a plethora of competitors to the scum at Ticketmaster.
Seetickets, Ticketline, SECC tickets, Stargreen, all official sellers none of your Stubhub secondary seller nonsense.

Offline RedRocks83

• Stateless
  • I'm running down the road like loose electricity
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:21:03 AM »
That's weird...
My $95 ticket for Atlanta only cost $108.50 after all fees.
How much was shipping?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:28:48 AM by RedRocks83 »

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just bought 4 tickets to the FedEx Field show here in the DC area.  I got 4 upper level tickets.  $30 face value/each.  After fees, $197/total.  you do the math.

at least i'm going.  I'm taking a couple of my kids to their first show.  the good news is that the seats are basically identical (although opposite side of the field) to my Redskins Season tickets so I know the view will be good. (40 yard line, 12th row). 

My only concern  is whether the top of the stage will somehow block the view of the screen for those of us sitting upstairs.  I hope not.

i hate ticketmaster.

That sounds a bit off - $120 for the four tickets meaning $77 for fees and delivery - how did you final bill break down?

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:14:29 AM »
Are there no other official online ticket sellers in the US?
 In the UK we have a plethora of competitors to the scum at Ticketmaster.
Seetickets, Ticketline, SECC tickets, Stargreen, all official sellers none of your Stubhub secondary seller nonsense.

Unfortunately Ticketmaster has standing contracts with the majority of the major venues in the US. Meaning it is Ticketmaster equipment and tickets being used in the sale of tickets by venues. I'm not sure how long the contracts they currently have are for. In the 90's they were able to get many of these venues to sign contracts in return for upkeep of the ticketing system. So in other words, it was cheaper for the venues to outsource a portion of their business than hire in house staff.
Gotta love american, the land of outsourcing  ;)
That is why it is so hard to compete with ticketmaster. I have seen many ticketing companies try and fail over the years. On the flip side, many of these other official ticketing companies have similar fees and pricing guidelines in the US.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »

i hate ticketmaster.

That sounds a bit off - $120 for the four tickets meaning $77 for fees and delivery - how did you final bill break down?

there is no delivery fee as I opted for the standard mail option.  the $30 ticket fee had two additional charges... a "building/facility charge" of $8/ticket and a "Convenience charge" of $9.90/ticket.  There was an additional $5.60 Order Processing Charge for the entire bill.

a co-worker of mine bought the "$55" tickets which translated into $88/each.

daveyg

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »

i hate ticketmaster.

there is no delivery fee as I opted for the standard mail option.  the $30 ticket fee had two additional charges... a "building/facility charge" of $8/ticket and a "Convenience charge" of $9.90/ticket.  There was an additional $5.60 Order Processing Charge for the entire bill.

a co-worker of mine bought the "$55" tickets which translated into $88/each.

My God! Someone along the line's not worried about the global credit crunch with those rates!

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »
Yeah, the fees here in the US are really ridiculous!! If you can buy tickets at the venue you can save a little, but in this case we didn't have that option.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
It still amazes me that after all these years, people still feel that Ticketmaster should operate as a not-for-profit charity instead of an actual business.  The people who work for TM would like to be able to provide food and shelter to their families just like you do.  They do not have landlords or banks that take IOUs for rent and mortgages or insurance companies that give them coverage for free.  Also, the technology needed so that you can sit at home and purchase tickets instead of sleeping on a sidewalk for days, cost money to run and maintain.  They need to make money just like any other business and the service charges are how they do that. 

Instead of hating TM, you should be demanding to know why FedEx Field felt it necessary to charge an $8 facility charge.  That is a little high, especially considering that they would have already known what the TM charge was going to be. 

But I'm sure you won't do that, because no one ever does.  It's much easier to jump on the "I hate Ticketmaster" bandwagon then to actually think the situation through and come to a rational understanding. 

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »
It still amazes me that after all these years, people still feel that Ticketmaster should operate as a not-for-profit charity instead of an actual business.  The people who work for TM would like to be able to provide food and shelter to their families just like you do.  They do not have landlords or banks that take IOUs for rent and mortgages or insurance companies that give them coverage for free.  Also, the technology needed so that you can sit at home and purchase tickets instead of sleeping on a sidewalk for days, cost money to run and maintain.  They need to make money just like any other business and the service charges are how they do that. 

Instead of hating TM, you should be demanding to know why FedEx Field felt it necessary to charge an $8 facility charge.  That is a little high, especially considering that they would have already known what the TM charge was going to be. 

But I'm sure you won't do that, because no one ever does.  It's much easier to jump on the "I hate Ticketmaster" bandwagon then to actually think the situation through and come to a rational understanding. 

LOL at Ticketmaster employee's first post on this U2 board.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »

LOL at Ticketmaster employee's first post on this U2 board.

That made me laugh...now I'm waiting for FedEx field employee to post.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »

I hate to say it but he does have a point.
However, Ticketmaster has closed many of its offices in the last 10 years and laid thousands of people. All in an attempt to become more automated and save money. Have their savings been passed on to us? Becoming automated should make the ticket prices cheaper, especially since you only have to pay a few hundred employees instead of a few thousand.
There is a difference between profit and price gouging. as for the facility fees, what this means is the facility makes little to no money off the actual ticket sales for events. Instead they pay for their staff by charging a direct facility fee. Again these prices might be questionable, but most facilities charge $2-$5 per ticket and not $8.
personally, the whole ticket system needs to be revamped. I say back to the good old days of camping out  ;D

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »
The "building/facility charge" is definitely coming from Dan Snyder, the owner of FedEx Field.  He isn't a multi-million dollar businessman because he doesn't charge extra.  Look him up, this guy's picture is next to the definition of "jerk" in the dictionary.

I think people are just mad because they see these added "charges" instead of just having it rolled into the ticket price.  Would you feel better if the ticket price was $49, and not $30 + $8 + $9.95?  I think we just don't like it when we feel like we're getting nickeled and dimed to death.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »

However, Ticketmaster has closed many of its offices in the last 10 years and laid thousands of people. All in an attempt to become more automated and save money. Have their savings been passed on to us? Becoming automated should make the ticket prices cheaper, especially since you only have to pay a few hundred employees instead of a few thousand.
There is a difference between profit and price gouging. as for the facility fees, what this means is the facility makes little to no money off the actual ticket sales for events. Instead they pay for their staff by charging a direct facility fee. Again these prices might be questionable, but most facilities charge $2-$5 per ticket and not $8.
personally, the whole ticket system needs to be revamped. I say back to the good old days of camping out  ;D

Since I've already been singled out to be hated, I'll continue to play devil's advocate...

If General Motors closes plants and laysoff thousands of workers in an attempt to save money, do cars suddenly become cheaper for us?  
And, for about the 1 gazillionth time... Ticketmaster has absolutely NOTHING to do with ticket prices.  The acts' management and tour promoters set the prices.  But those of us who know this also know that we can repeat it until we're blue and there are still people out there that will never believe us.
And, you are right in that the facility charge is usually the only way that a venue can make money off of a show.  $8 is still crazy high though.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »

Since I've already been singled out to be hated, I'll continue to play devil's advocate...

If General Motors closes plants and laysoff thousands of workers in an attempt to save money, do cars suddenly become cheaper for us?  
And, for about the 1 gazillionth time... Ticketmaster has absolutely NOTHING to do with ticket prices.  The acts' management and tour promoters set the prices.  But those of us who know this also know that we can repeat it until we're blue and there are still people out there that will never believe us.
And, you are right in that the facility charge is usually the only way that a venue can make money off of a show.  $8 is still crazy high though.

What about Ticketmaster's 'convenience fee'?