Author Topic: $30 tix my butt!  (Read 6076 times)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: $30 tix my butt!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It still amazes me that after all these years, people still feel that Ticketmaster should operate as a not-for-profit charity instead of an actual business.  The people who work for TM would like to be able to provide food and shelter to their families just like you do.  They do not have landlords or banks that take IOUs for rent and mortgages or insurance companies that give them coverage for free.  Also, the technology needed so that you can sit at home and purchase tickets instead of sleeping on a sidewalk for days, cost money to run and maintain.  They need to make money just like any other business and the service charges are how they do that. 

Instead of hating TM, you should be demanding to know why FedEx Field felt it necessary to charge an $8 facility charge.  That is a little high, especially considering that they would have already known what the TM charge was going to be. 

But I'm sure you won't do that, because no one ever does.  It's much easier to jump on the "I hate Ticketmaster" bandwagon then to actually think the situation through and come to a rational understanding. 

I hate to say it but he does have a point.
However, Ticketmaster has closed many of its offices in the last 10 years and laid thousands of people. All in an attempt to become more automated and save money. Have their savings been passed on to us? Becoming automated should make the ticket prices cheaper, especially since you only have to pay a few hundred employees instead of a few thousand.
There is a difference between profit and price gouging. as for the facility fees, what this means is the facility makes little to no money off the actual ticket sales for events. Instead they pay for their staff by charging a direct facility fee. Again these prices might be questionable, but most facilities charge $2-$5 per ticket and not $8.
personally, the whole ticket system needs to be revamped. I say back to the good old days of camping out  ;D

Since I've already been singled out to be hated, I'll continue to play devil's advocate...

If General Motors closes plants and laysoff thousands of workers in an attempt to save money, do cars suddenly become cheaper for us?  
And, for about the 1 gazillionth time... Ticketmaster has absolutely NOTHING to do with ticket prices.  The acts' management and tour promoters set the prices.  But those of us who know this also know that we can repeat it until we're blue and there are still people out there that will never believe us.
And, you are right in that the facility charge is usually the only way that a venue can make money off of a show.  $8 is still crazy high though.

What about Ticketmaster's 'convenience fee'?

Or how about the added charge to email you a pdf file over mailing an actual printed hard copy ?

WTF is up with THAT ????

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »
The group and its management sets the price long before Ticketmaster gets involved. So you can thank them for the $200+ seats. My tickets included the $12.70 "convenience fee" a $2 facility charge and a $1 pickup charge. About $111 for $95 ticket. The "convenience charge" could be a bit more reasonable, but still not too bad. I agree with Luckado that just working some of these fees into the ticket price would be an improvement. Then maybe the artist would consider lowering their cost a bit, since hey know the fees will be factored into the price. The BEST thing would be for someone to compete with Ticketmaster in the US, but for know they have the monopoly.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »
So, what some of you are saying is that you would be perfectly happy to pay $100+ for a ticket, if the fees were "hidden" inside that ticket price and you never had a clue what any of those fees were, or who/what they were for?  Seriously?  This also will not make acts suddenly realize the error of their ways and lower ticket prices.  They, and their managers and tour promoters, will still want their money, so they'll probably try to make everyone else lower their fees instead. 

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
your GM analogy is inapt because when buying cars we have a choice.  Other than me going down to a particular box office, i don't have an option with respect to these tickets other than the obvious choice of NOT buying.

if GM wants to play games or somehow changes the market with its actions, that's fine.  the market can absorb it and sustain itself despite GM's status.  Ticketmaster, on the other hand, is the market.

it's called a monopoly.  and it sucks.  while all they're doing is taking advantage of the situation and i'm not entirely sure i can blame them, they need to be stopped.

i would have hated Ma Bell and Standard Oil as well.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »
So, what some of you are saying is that you would be perfectly happy to pay $100+ for a ticket, if the fees were "hidden" inside that ticket price and you never had a clue what any of those fees were, or who/what they were for?  Seriously?  This also will not make acts suddenly realize the error of their ways and lower ticket prices.  They, and their managers and tour promoters, will still want their money, so they'll probably try to make everyone else lower their fees instead. 

Or maybe we're paying for Ticketmaster employees to spend their workdays on the internet defending their position to thousands of people.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »
I wonder how many people would go if U2 ever offered a free concert, you know like Jesus on the Mount..not to be joking at all, i mean just a big desert type space that would attract redicious crowds...

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
your GM analogy is inapt because when buying cars we have a choice.  Other than me going down to a particular box office, i don't have an option with respect to these tickets other than the obvious choice of NOT buying.

if GM wants to play games or somehow changes the market with its actions, that's fine.  the market can absorb it and sustain itself despite GM's status.  Ticketmaster, on the other hand, is the market.

it's called a monopoly.  and it sucks.  while all they're doing is taking advantage of the situation and i'm not entirely sure i can blame them, they need to be stopped.

Okay then I'll modify it to be, does a GM car suddenly become cheaper?  There are several other ticketing services options out there for venues to go with (Tickets.com, Audience View, Live Nation Ticketing - just to name a few), so TM does not have an actual monopoly. 

Nice to see that you would spread your hatered around.  However, my basic phone bill is around $40 a month (before call fees) and I paid over $2 a gallon for gas a few days ago.  So, having several options to choose from really hasn't helped prices in those two industries, has it?

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
I just bought 4 tickets to the FedEx Field show here in the DC area.  I got 4 upper level tickets.  $30 face value/each.  After fees, $197/total.  you do the math.

at least i'm going.  I'm taking a couple of my kids to their first show.  the good news is that the seats are basically identical (although opposite side of the field) to my Redskins Season tickets so I know the view will be good. (40 yard line, 12th row). 

My only concern  is whether the top of the stage will somehow block the view of the screen for those of us sitting upstairs.  I hope not.

i hate ticketmaster.

Fedex field charges an additional $8 "venue fee"

I had four GA tix @ $55 each ($220), plus a $12 service charge ($48- $268 total), plus $8 venue fee ($32- $300 total) Plus $7 handling to arrive at my $307 total for four general admission tickets!
Unfortunately for me... I may not even get to use them... my wife is pregnant and due THE NEXT DAY! I've already asked our doctor to induce if she hasn't delivered by the 21st!
Now... under any other circumstance... she'd go early... or late... but BECAUSE U2 is in town she will go into labor at noon on September 29th, and I'll miss the show.
(Please god no...)

That sounds a bit off - $120 for the four tickets meaning $77 for fees and delivery - how did you final bill break down?

Offline ricky

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »
Or maybe we're paying for Ticketmaster employees to spend their workdays on the internet defending their position to thousands of people.

LOL. Well if they are U2 fans that's ok. As long as they're not wasting time on a Jonas Brothers forum we'll cut them a break.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »

Okay then I'll modify it to be, does a GM car suddenly become cheaper?  There are several other ticketing services options out there for venues to go with (Tickets.com, Audience View, Live Nation Ticketing - just to name a few), so TM does not have an actual monopoly. 

Nice to see that you would spread your hatered around.  However, my basic phone bill is around $40 a month (before call fees) and I paid over $2 a gallon for gas a few days ago.  So, having several options to choose from really hasn't helped prices in those two industries, has it?

an actual monopoly?  no.  but our antitrust laws are set up to go after companies that are effectively a monopoly.   and by the way, I just went to tickets.com and could not find U2 concert tickets.  and Live Nation and Ticketmaster are in bed together.

so yes, they are a monopoly.  perhaps not technically but for all practical purposes they are.  and i'm stunned that the antitrust lawyers haven't come crashing down on ticketmaster. 

but they will.  eventually.  they will.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
Live Nation just bounces you to the Ticketmaster site. Ticketmaster has a monopoly and they have had it for years. (Am I the only one who remembers Pearl Jam getting buried because they tried to go around Ticketmaster?) I don't really see the point of trying to place blame solely on Ticketmaster or the artist. The artists set their ticket prices, so they are responsible for those high ticket costs. Ticketmaster is responsible for the (in)convenience charges. But look at the arenas. FedEx is charging $8? The facility charge on my ticket was $2. Can anyone explain why no one can compete against Ticketmaster?

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
because Ticketmaster has negotiated deals with the arenas (exclusive?) that locks them into contracts with Ticketmaster for numerous years.  If you want to have a show at a particular arena, you need to use their ticket seller, i.e., Ticketmaster.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »
because Ticketmaster has negotiated deals with the arenas (exclusive?) that locks them into contracts with Ticketmaster for numerous years.  If you want to have a show at a particular arena, you need to use their ticket seller, i.e., Ticketmaster.
Not a monopoly? If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 01:49:40 AM »
I just bought 4 tickets to the FedEx Field show here in the DC area.  I got 4 upper level tickets.  $30 face value/each.  After fees, $197/total.  you do the math.

at least i'm going.  I'm taking a couple of my kids to their first show.  the good news is that the seats are basically identical (although opposite side of the field) to my Redskins Season tickets so I know the view will be good. (40 yard line, 12th row). 

My only concern  is whether the top of the stage will somehow block the view of the screen for those of us sitting upstairs.  I hope not.

i hate ticketmaster.

That sounds a bit off - $120 for the four tickets meaning $77 for fees and delivery - how did you final bill break down?

there is no delivery fee as I opted for the standard mail option.  the $30 ticket fee had two additional charges... a "building/facility charge" of $8/ticket and a "Convenience charge" of $9.90/ticket.  There was an additional $5.60 Order Processing Charge for the entire bill.

a co-worker of mine bought the "$55" tickets which translated into $88/each.

My "$55" GA tickets came to $70.70 each after shipping, and I even added the $6 insurance just to be safe. I'm going to Chicago. Interesting...

Birdlover
For once, glad to be in the Midwest!

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »

an actual monopoly?  no.  but our antitrust laws are set up to go after companies that are effectively a monopoly.   and by the way, I just went to tickets.com and could not find U2 concert tickets.  and Live Nation and Ticketmaster are in bed together.

so yes, they are a monopoly.  perhaps not technically but for all practical purposes they are.  and i'm stunned that the antitrust lawyers haven't come crashing down on ticketmaster. 

but they will.  eventually.  they will.
My point about there being other ticketing companies out there was not in reference to U2 shows, but to venues having other options.  They can sign a contract with any ticket selling company they want and these venues chose to sign with Ticketmaster.  At one point yes, you could use your term of Live Nation and Ticketmaster being "in bed" together, because Live Nation was a Ticketmaster client.  Until the end of last year, LN had a singed contract to sell their venues', and most of their shows', tickets via Ticketmaster.