Author Topic: $30 tix my butt!  (Read 6064 times)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Re: $30 tix my butt!
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My point about there being other ticketing companies out there was not in reference to U2 shows, but to venues having other options.  They can sign a contract with any ticket selling company they want and these venues chose to sign with Ticketmaster.  At one point yes, you could use your term of Live Nation and Ticketmaster being "in bed" together, because Live Nation was a Ticketmaster client.  Until the end of last year, LN had a singed contract to sell their venues', and most of their shows', tickets via Ticketmaster.

Get your facts right. They are in Bed. 

"Ticketmaster, Live Nation announce merger plan" - LA Times : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
By Dawn C. Chmielewski
9:36 AM PST, February 10, 2009

"The largest ticket seller and the largest live concert promoter could have vast influence on pricing in the entertainment business. The deal may face antitrust challenges."

On Anti-trust: 
.... " The deal is likely to attract antitrust scrutiny, lawyers said. One source estimated that the combined company would control ticketing rights for 80% of the concert halls, amphitheaters, sports arenas and other venues where live events are staged.

"The first place the antitrust agencies look is at direct horizontal combination, to see whether the merger would result in higher prices," said Marc Schildkraut, a Washington, D.C., antitrust lawyer and former assistant director at the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Competition.

....A lawsuit filed against Ticketmaster alleges that it manipulated the market for event tickets and cheated customers out of millions of dollars. The suit, filed on behalf of one ticket buyer, Ellen Diamond, claims that fans who attempted to buy tickets for a Feb. 2 Bruce Springsteen concert were redirected to TicketsNow.com, where tickets were marked up hundreds of dollars beyond their original face value. Ticketmaster effectively profits twice from the sale of its tickets -- once from the sale to its wholly owned subsidiary, and through a 15% commission on the sale of the tickets at marked-up prices -- the suit claims.

Springsteen posted an open letter to fans on his website, condemning the practice and noting, "Ticketmaster has made us as furious as it has made many of you." The New Jersey attorney general's office launched an investigation after hundreds of fans contacted its Division of Consumer Affairs.

"Ticketmaster profits twice as the result of the monopolistic scheme," wrote Paul Kiesel, of Kiesel, Boucher & Larson, in the complaint filed Feb. 6 in Los Angeles federal court. Defendants have bilked consumers of millions of dollars."

And given U2 signed a huge deal with Live Nation, they're in bed also!  Tramps!   :P

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
I agree with a lot of the complaints that have been voiced.  However, my $30 tickets only cost me $38.57 each (more reasonable, imo).  I had only a $2 facility charge for Charlottesville, a $5.90 "convenience" charge, and a $4 order fee divided by 6 tickets.  I am not sure why Scott Stadium has lower fees, but I just checked and there are still tickets available there - $250 great seats and some $30 and $95 seats behind the band and to the side a bit.  It would be nice to know all of the extra fees before you order the tickets.

streetmission

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 08:46:50 PM »
I just bought 4 tickets to the FedEx Field show here in the DC area.  I got 4 upper level tickets.  $30 face value/each.  After fees, $197/total.  you do the math.

at least i'm going.  I'm taking a couple of my kids to their first show.  the good news is that the seats are basically identical (although opposite side of the field) to my Redskins Season tickets so I know the view will be good. (40 yard line, 12th row). 

My only concern  is whether the top of the stage will somehow block the view of the screen for those of us sitting upstairs.  I hope not.

i hate ticketmaster.

That sounds a bit off - $120 for the four tickets meaning $77 for fees and delivery - how did you final bill break down?

there is no delivery fee as I opted for the standard mail option.  the $30 ticket fee had two additional charges... a "building/facility charge" of $8/ticket and a "Convenience charge" of $9.90/ticket.  There was an additional $5.60 Order Processing Charge for the entire bill.

a co-worker of mine bought the "$55" tickets which translated into $88/each.

Holy cow! :o  That's what drove it up!  I got Soldier Field tix and the convenience charge is comparable but the facility charge is only $2 a ticket.  What exactly is FedEx Field doing with that $8, I wonder?

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 06:25:35 AM »
I just bought 4 tickets to the FedEx Field show here in the DC area.  I got 4 upper level tickets.  $30 face value/each.  After fees, $197/total.  you do the math.

at least i'm going.  I'm taking a couple of my kids to their first show.  the good news is that the seats are basically identical (although opposite side of the field) to my Redskins Season tickets so I know the view will be good. (40 yard line, 12th row). 

My only concern  is whether the top of the stage will somehow block the view of the screen for those of us sitting upstairs.  I hope not.

i hate ticketmaster.

That sounds a bit off - $120 for the four tickets meaning $77 for fees and delivery - how did you final bill break down?

there is no delivery fee as I opted for the standard mail option.  the $30 ticket fee had two additional charges... a "building/facility charge" of $8/ticket and a "Convenience charge" of $9.90/ticket.  There was an additional $5.60 Order Processing Charge for the entire bill.

Holy cow! :o  That's what drove it up!  I got Soldier Field tix and the convenience charge is comparable but the facility charge is only $2 a ticket.  What exactly is FedEx Field doing with that $8, I wonder?

hopefully being put back into the team to make sure we hold on to all our free agents and to go out and get some more talent when we need it.  Snyder is probably just p*ssed that he couldn't raise ticket prices after an 8-8 season so he's trying to get it in through the back door.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »

i hate ticketmaster.

I'm sure that money is helping to lower the cost of beer.

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »
My "$55" GA tix for Vegas were $73.75 after all the fees. I was pi**ed that there was only one option for shipping for Vegas, too.

My Phoenix GA ticket was $74.65 after fees, and I chose the slowest shipping option (free) to avoid paying even MORE! I understand they need to make money, too, but that's just f***ing outrageous.

Ticketmaster has a monopoly and that is serious B.S. I hate them, too.  >:(

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:50 PM »
My "$55" GA tix for Vegas were $73.75 after all the fees. I was pi**ed that there was only one option for shipping for Vegas, too.

My Phoenix GA ticket was $74.65 after fees, and I chose the slowest shipping option (free) to avoid paying even MORE! I understand they need to make money, too, but that's just f***ing outrageous.

Ticketmaster has a monopoly and that is serious B.S. I hate them, too.  >:(

Um, that show's tickets are not available, at least for the presale, via Ticketmaster.  Sam Boyd uses a different ticketing company, so no monopoly there.