Author Topic: "ME + GUITAR/PIANO =...."  (Read 2361 times)

Offline blissfulmitch

• Babyface
"ME + GUITAR/PIANO =...."
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
Hey, my fellow atu2ers. I apologize to my fellow New Yorkers for 9/25, but I have been dying for many years to hold up a sign, and this time, I will. I will also try my best to accommodate people behind me.

However, at this moment I'm at a complete loss as to what song or album I should put on the sign. I have a feeling they like people who know the rarer stuff, but I really don't know what they usually go for. Can anyone please help me make a list of suggestions?

Also who else is making the "ME + GUITAR/PIANO =..." sign?

Thank you so much folks. Can't wait for those two nights.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: "ME + GUITAR/PIANO =...."
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
Good for you!

I am planning on something similar for Chicago. What I've done is practice, practice, practice until I had a U2 song I could play with my eyes closed. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable playing. I don't know if there's any way to guess which one they'd want you to play, so this way if you get picked, you'll sound awesome.
I won't be using a very big sign out of deference to my fellow fans, so one song is all that will fit.

GOOD LUCK!
Birdlover

Offline blissfulmitch

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
Actually, birdlover, one thing that might help us narrow the list down is seeing which songs have backing rhythm guitar/piano tracks on the recordings? Off the top of my head, I think these songs have backing guitar tracks:
No Line
Magnificent
Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy
Breathe
A Man and a Woman
Love and Peace
All Because of You
Yahweh
When I Look at the World
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
Do You Feel Loved
Wake Up Dead Man
Staring at the Sun
Last Night on Earth
Gone
Hold Me Thrill Me
Acrobat
The Fly
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World
One
All of Rattle and Hum

What about for piano?

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:56:53 PM »
Good luck to both of you - hope you get lucky! 

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually, birdlover, one thing that might help us narrow the list down is seeing which songs have backing rhythm guitar/piano tracks on the recordings? Off the top of my head, I think these songs have backing guitar tracks:
No Line
Magnificent
Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy
Breathe
A Man and a Woman
Love and Peace
All Because of You
Yahweh
When I Look at the World
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
Do You Feel Loved
Wake Up Dead Man
Staring at the Sun
Last Night on Earth
Gone
Hold Me Thrill Me
Acrobat
The Fly
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World
One
All of Rattle and Hum

What about for piano?

Good idea, Mitch.

I don't know about piano, I pay most attention to Edge's guitar, since that's what I play.

I'm looking at it more from the standpoint of 'what can I play well?' and "what don't they want an added person on stage for?" These are great songs, but some are ones where Bono is really getting into the emotion, or they're personal songs. I'd guess they'd rather bring a fan on board for something less intense. But this is just a guess.

Have you seen them bring anyone on stage? I only know what I've read and so far, the only song I've heard of them sharing with a fan was "Knocking on Heaven's Door". ("U2 and the Road to Pop" by Carter Alan)

I'm all ears, though. I really want to do this.  Though I keep asking myself "Do I really want to play for 60,000 people?" Yikes! :o

And thanks, Viki, for the encouragement.

Birdlover

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:03:31 AM »
Im really going to try at Sheffield, but im not bothered about playing Party Girl/Heavens Door... Id rather play Desire, All i Want... Something Bono can get into. It would be a dream come true though. I should have tried last time but didnt have the courage! When the tour starts it will give me a better idea where to stand etc...

Offline larrys pants

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 05:14:13 AM »
No offence but can't really be doing with people wanting to get up and perform...We're there to see the band so please give it a by ! Thanks

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:25:43 AM »
The fan on stage moments happen so rarely and are always great to see. There are not many bands who do it so good on them.
I'm glad the whole "People Get Ready" tradition is still alive and well.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:02:18 AM »
It has to be a song outside of the set list, or it can't a corner stone song. Not a new song either. I don't think you will get to play One,Streets or Magnificent.  I personally have seen Angel of Harlem (guitar) and Wild Horses (piano) work.  Desire would be a good choice.

Pick a song that it is easy for them to recall, with a simple two or three chord riff.  That way they can get into it too, along with the crowd.  And finally, if you do make it..."don't suck up there."

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
Also who else is making the "ME + GUITAR/PIANO =..." sign?
I'm seriously considering a "ME + DANCE" sign... I'm a classically trained ballet dancer/modern dancer/sometimes instructor, and dancing onstage at a U2 concert would be absolutely a-mazing... but I don't know if it would be stupid or not. What do y'alls think?

InThisHeartland

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »
my sign will say:

Offline blissfulmitch

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »
Hey, Heartland, that's actually a good idea? Does Heartland fit into a "two/three chord" structure that is easy for them to remember and get into, etc. criteria? I love the song, and I've always seen it as a fairly easy song to play.

And yes, if I want to make a "Me + Guitar" sign, you should go ahead and make a "Me + Dance" sign. Either way, we'll be blocking someone's view, and it's only fair, hah hah.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
It has to be a song outside of the set list, or it can't a corner stone song. Not a new song either. I don't think you will get to play One,Streets or Magnificent.  I personally have seen Angel of Harlem (guitar) and Wild Horses (piano) work.  Desire would be a good choice.

Pick a song that it is easy for them to recall, with a simple two or three chord riff.  That way they can get into it too, along with the crowd.  And finally, if you do make it..."don't suck up there."

Thank you, Wanderer! I've been working on a bunch of songs and the one that keeps being easiest is "One Step Closer". It seems to fit your description.  :)
And I promise not to suck.  ;D  I have been playing on stage for many years, but never, ever to any sort of concert audience. Meep!

Birdlover