Author Topic: The New Depeche Mode far better than No line on the Horizon  (Read 7481 times)

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: The New Depeche Mode far better than No line on the Horizon
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 06:05:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I love U2 for what they did. But I frustrating to see that you know that they can do so much better but they simply won't because the have this POP trauma. If Depeche Mode made a bad record I  would be saying the same stuff about them. Well actually Exciter wasn't that exciting to be honest.

I love both bands But even to I love something it doesn't mean that they are above criticism.

But who said U2 are beyond criticism? Not me. About the "Pop trauma", maybe they have had that kind of problem in the 2000's, but with NLOTH they're already shaking the disease. And even better things will come in the future. Just don't expect them to deliver an avantgarde album, because that's not what U2 are about. And neither are Depeche Mode (a good band, by the way).

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 06:28:23 AM »
I can back up my assertion that the original poster is full of sh** by stating, as a stoned cold fact, that Depeche Mode are not on the same playing field as U2.

Crazy talk.

andyt

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »
I can back up my assertion that the original poster is full of sh** by stating, as a stoned cold fact, that Depeche Mode are not on the same playing field as U2.

Crazy talk.

I'm defending him - I would suggest he's more 'a rock of sanity in a sea of sh*t' - I'm not 100% about the Mode but he's talking a lot of sense...

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »
No line already sounds dated and they're not even on tour yet.

This is just nonsense.

with no line I hoped that they would grow they're balls back but the boys just had a margarita to many and are afraid  they will never grow their balls back and deliver and totally out there album. They waaaay to comfortable in their comfort zone. which is boring The best U2 albums where the ones nobody understood or liked at first listings but now they are juts too busy with making music everybody likes and swallows.

U2 have never delivered  a "totally out there" album. What are you talking about?

By the way, I "understood" and liked all U2 albums at first listen, except ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Johnny, don't worry, you get this attitude all over the forum. Dare you critisize at your peril!

I agree ATYCLB and HTDAAB weren't interesting records and as far as being 'out there' or 'sonically challenging' or 'cutting edge' are concerned, U2 have never been that.

The really interesting and cutting edge music comes from much smaller, left field bands.

Which isn't to say U2 haven't made some truly great music because they have.
I know Jazz and I don't give a damn. I love U2 for what they did. But I frustrating to see that you know that they can do so much better but they simply won't because the have this POP trauma. If Depeche Mode made a bad record I  would be saying the same stuff about them. Well actually Exciter wasn't that exciting to be honest.

I love both bands But even to I love something it doesn't mean that they are above criticism.

Let's be really honest, Exciter was a near HORRIBLE album. A lot of the blame should be placed on the production (Producer Mark Bell, also produced Bjork) which smoothed out and polished the DM sound and washed it on spin cycle. It was flat.

I disagree that ATYCLB & HTDAAB are weak albums. Commercially and artistically they were both great successes. While I also like and value a more experimental approach in U2's music (AB, Zoo, POP), The ATYCLB and HTDAAB albums are more about craft and songwriting, and more emphasis on what the 4 members contribute to the whole. They were the right albums for the time they were made. Maybe they were a bit 'safe' sure bets but I think it's hard to deny that many of the songs are high quality.

While I think the late '80's & '90's were a more exciting time to be a U2 fan, I think the direction chosen on ATYCLB and HTDAAB was a necessary one. Let me say that I like POP alot, but Pop had frayed their fanbase and experimenting into more dissonant territory would not have been well received. A lot of people were very confused about what and who U2 were during and after POP and POPMART. U2 were pretty much beyond recognition. And, dance music: techno, D&B, Jungle, electronica in general were not really being embraced by America as the country went into a dormant wave of inward, isolated conservatism for 8 years. I only go into this because U2 care about it. They obviously understood what was happening in the world and what they would have to do in order to regain and maintain a relationship with a majority of their fans.

Now, even as Bono has remarked 'The world is awake again'. Change is in the air and hopefully for the better. Though uncertain, it seems like it's okay for the world's biggest band to experiment a bit once again. NLOTH is a step into that direction. I really like this album. It could be more experimental for my tastes, but many of the songs are beautifully done and most of all..it really works as a cohesive album. Something that HTDAAB was lacking.

All this said, I also think that DM's record is the best record they've made since the departure of Alan Wilder, who was instrumental in defining the DM sound and direction along with Martin Gore. I am looking forward to it's release and will buy the CD. It will take a while to assess how good it is. I've heard 3 versions of the song "Come Back" and the studio version on youtube is the most emotional and in my opinion would have been the bravest choice. It also would have provided a short break from the many layers of vintage synthesizers that are featured on the rest of the album. Funny how The Beatles are such an influence on a Depeche Mode album. I didn't see that coming! All Across The Universe!

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR COMEBACK, YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK IT OUT! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!
HERE IT IS: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:57:56 AM by Mr. BonorFLY »

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 08:11:24 AM »

Let's be really honest, Exciter was a near HORRIBLE album. A lot of the blame should be placed on the production (Producer Mark Bell, also produced Bjork) which smoothed out and polished the DM sound and washed it on spin cycle. It was flat.

Mark Bell dis a remarkable job for Bjork, though. "Homogenic" is a great album song-wise, but the masterful production surely helps it. And "Advance" by his band LFO remains one of the hidden gems of ambient techno.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »

Mark Bell dis a remarkable job for Bjork, though. "Homogenic" is a great album song-wise, but the masterful production surely helps it. And "Advance" by his band LFO remains one of the hidden gems of ambient techno.

I agree on that. Homogenic is one of my favorite Bjork albums. Unfortunately, he was just 'Wrong' for Depeche Mode.

andyt

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR COMEBACK, YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK IT OUT! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!
HERE IT IS: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah, great tune - maybe they're getting back to the brilliance of Violator and Songs of Faith.

I'll take this over Unknown bloody Caller any time

jimyjazz

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »
the new DM is awesome - sounds like they`ve been listening to a lot experimental electronic music (not surprising) and gahan sounds better than every record.  Slays nloth, which i have grown tired of quicker than any u2 record.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »
Not in my opinion. NLOTH is fantastic. For me, it helps to actively listen to this album rather than passively listen to it. That said, I am so far very happy with DM's new album. Corrupt is so devilishly good. Have you seen the youtube video of them playing it live in the studio. Very cool.

These 2 bands are very different overall. I don't think it's fair to either band that we compare them or face them off like street gangs. I'm excited they both put out such great albums this year!

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »
How come I like the new mode far more better than the latest U2? When No line came out I liked some songs on it but most were the same old.  But now listening to the new Depeche Mode I have to say the delivered more than U2.
Sounds of Universe beats U2's No line easily.

Jezebel was a sh** song. But man I bloody love "Come Back" by far best song on the album. And their best song in years. It's so "shoegazey" spaces me out completely. Good atmosphere.

Still comparing albums I would give U2's new one the Edge.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
Shake the disease is their best ....hands down.

Absolutely.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
In response to the title of this thread:

Um, no.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
I still like NLOTH more, but DM's new album is gosh darn good.  :P

hurricane hugo

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »
When I first played No line I thought it was a great comeback but after numerous listening it kinda doesn't hold up. (Magnifecent is the bets track on the Album the rest is kinda well not up there) I'm back on Zooropa which I still think is U2's most daring album. I love the Cybersonic sound of it. When Achtung came out I was a long time U2 fan. But I thought that album really kick ass in a time when U2 needed to kick ass. But although Achtung is a better made album it's Zooropa that really stayed with me. It fully understood and embraced the dawn of new technology and it's so good it withstood the test of time. which is really an achievement since No line already sounds dated and they're not even on tour yet.

For me after Zooropa and some songs on POP it went downhill with U2. Yeah To be honest I really liked some songs on POP. Liked the sound of it. Didn't know it wasn't finished when it came out. I didn't like the single and the overproduced version op Please. The version on the album was heartbreakingly beautiful. The one they finished was mwauh. Ok. Pop contained a couple of hauntingly beautiful song which I'm glad that U2 didn't have time to finish and f*** up.

The came all that u can leave behind I been never been able to listen to that album in one go since it bores the living sh** out of me. I think atomic bomb was even worse. it had absolutely no soul or fire what so ever Just A couple of very overproduced boring songs.
 with no line I hoped that they would grow they're balls back but the boys just had a margarita to many and are afraid  they will never grow their balls back and deliver and totally out there album. They waaaay to comfortable in their comfort zone. which is boring The best U2 albums where the ones nobody understood or liked at first listings but now they are juts too busy with making music everybody likes and swallows.

And Now about the video's they've been making in the last ten years. Please have balls to stay the f*** out of your own video's
 it's tiring to see the bad playing in each damn video.

I showed All I want is you to my girlfriend and she hates u2 but that video made her cry.
Make more art and deepfelt story telling Like electrical storm, video's instead of look here we are in a panaorma shot look here we are in close up. it gets boring Bono to see you in every goddamn shot. Just let the lyrics tell a f****** beautifl story.

Magnificent should've been the first video and track and a f****** great one since it lends it for it. But I bet we're going to get to see U2 in every goddamn shot playing the song Bono with his mouth wide open.

Damn I'm so glad that Depeche mode is at least trying it.

You're awfully obsessed with other men's balls.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

#@!

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »

Crazy talk.

Nah you fail. U2 are a better band in my opinion. But Depeche Mode is no laughing matter. People keep bringing up Simple Minds vs. U2 all the time.

That's a weak argument. I'd rather go with DM vs. U2. Much better quality there.