Author Topic: The New Depeche Mode far better than No line on the Horizon  (Read 7546 times)

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
Re: The New Depeche Mode far better than No line on the Horizon
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can back up my assertion that the original poster is full of sh** by stating, as a stoned cold fact, that Depeche Mode are not on the same playing field as U2.

Crazy talk.

Nah you fail. U2 are a better band in my opinion. But Depeche Mode is no laughing matter. People keep bringing up Simple Minds vs. U2 all the time.

That's a weak argument. I'd rather go with DM vs. U2. Much better quality there.

This is pointless, u2 is in a different league...I'm not saying for one second that they're a better band, it's for personal decision, but..u2 is so much bigger.  Depeche Mode are playing to 15,000 fans in Toronto when they come...u2 = 120,000.  Different catagories.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »
I can back up my assertion that the original poster is full of sh** by stating, as a stoned cold fact, that Depeche Mode are not on the same playing field as U2.

Crazy talk.

Nah you fail. U2 are a better band in my opinion. But Depeche Mode is no laughing matter. People keep bringing up Simple Minds vs. U2 all the time.

That's a weak argument. I'd rather go with DM vs. U2. Much better quality there.

This is pointless, u2 is in a different league...I'm not saying for one second that they're a better band, it's for personal decision, but..u2 is so much bigger.  Depeche Mode are playing to 15,000 fans in Toronto when they come...u2 = 120,000.  Different catagories.

They're bigger for sure.

But I recently did a quick google search and was surprised that DM sold 100 million albums worldwide. And they remain popular in Europe. NA not so much.

Yeah it is pointless to say which band is better due to it being subjective taste. But that guy dismisses Depeche Mode like they are just some cheese synth-pop 80s only band. They've evolved.

joegtheog

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »

Crazy talk.

They're bigger for sure.

But I recently did a quick google search and was surprised that DM sold 100 million albums worldwide. And they remain popular in Europe. NA not so much.

Yeah it is pointless to say which band is better due to it being subjective taste. But that guy dismisses Depeche Mode like they are just some cheese synth-pop 80s only band. They've evolved.

Depeche Mode, like Duran Duran, are two bands that are severely underrated.  Yeah, I didn't like Wrong, but there have been sporadic songs of theirs that I loathe ("Dead of Night"). Overall, their body of work stands up quite well.  They discovered depth and guitar with Violator and have expanded their sound quite nicely. 

U2 versus Depeche Mode?  No.  U2 still occupies a place of resonance deep within my heart and soul that can't be touched.  They have no intentions of moving out with NLOTH. Gorgeous album.  But at the same time Zooropa was my liferaft (even when Bono was "holding onto nothing"), Songs of Faith and Devotion promised me the existence of a "Higher Love".

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
I liked No line when it came out but now it kinda doesn't stick like the New Depeche Mode does. yeah  Bands like Duran Duran and Depeche Mode are very underrated.
With U2 it feels too much same old same old. I am really a huge fan of their music but it gets tiring to hear the same structure of song making over and over again. And the lyrics of aren't that great anymore. He used to have these killer opening lines that grabbed you by the throat and would let you go until the song was finished. I really loved that. Also the simplicity but directness of their songs and his lyrics got to me. Check Dirty Day, Please, Stay, In your blue room (very very underrated song by the way), one, pride, new years day, bad and the list goes on and on. Their last 2 albums are lacking that.

Bono's big mouth in advance before an albums gets released also annoys me. This time he was yelling Stuff about experimenting and blah blah. He gave a lot of people the hope that this was going to be an album that would really stretch the ability of their music So I was warming up for that. well it turned out to be not the case and we got is a kinda dull collectiong of song, who hold up better as an whole album then teh 2 albums before but it didn't show anything but U2 firmly staying in tehir comfort zone. Afraid to go all the way. And it shows. I like some of the intro's but then the over familiar  cliché U2 sounds kicks in and destroys any hope of of what the song really could've been. No line is another missed opportunity for U2 to go all the way. I'm really wandering looking at the sales how long they think they will be able to fool the crowd but mostly themselves. Maybe dwindling record sales could be the key for them to realy let their hair down and give us at least one really f****** great record. A soundtrack for this century. like like war was, like the joshua tree was. Like achtung und Zooropa was. the world really could use something like that coming from them/ Other wise they should really hang it up before they embarrass themselves even further

To be honest I find Mode more consistent. Yeah Maybe they sell less records than U2 but at least they never betrayed their music. they never sold out.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
this can be argued until the end of time. Depeche Mode did sell out. It was called "Exciter". Sound of the Universe is a great album. I love it. But it's not exactly new either. It's a mix/culmination of every period of DM's career. So, just like you're saying NLOTH is same old, Some DM fans are saying the same about SOTU. The only track that offers any progression really is Come Back, if the shoegaze-y version is the official album version. All that aside, it's a great enjoyable album. NLOTH is far superior though IMHO.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2009, 03:55:04 PM »
I liked No line when it came out but now it kinda doesn't stick like the New Depeche Mode does. yeah  Bands like Duran Duran and Depeche Mode are very underrated.
With U2 it feels too much same old same old. I am really a huge fan of their music but it gets tiring to hear the same structure of song making over and over again. And the lyrics of aren't that great anymore. He used to have these killer opening lines that grabbed you by the throat and would let you go until the song was finished. I really loved that. Also the simplicity but directness of their songs and his lyrics got to me. Check Dirty Day, Please, Stay, In your blue room (very very underrated song by the way), one, pride, new years day, bad and the list goes on and on. Their last 2 albums are lacking that.

Bono's big mouth in advance before an albums gets released also annoys me. This time he was yelling Stuff about experimenting and blah blah. He gave a lot of people the hope that this was going to be an album that would really stretch the ability of their music So I was warming up for that. well it turned out to be not the case and we got is a kinda dull collectiong of song, who hold up better as an whole album then teh 2 albums before but it didn't show anything but U2 firmly staying in tehir comfort zone. Afraid to go all the way. And it shows. I like some of the intro's but then the over familiar  cliché U2 sounds kicks in and destroys any hope of of what the song really could've been. No line is another missed opportunity for U2 to go all the way. I'm really wandering looking at the sales how long they think they will be able to fool the crowd but mostly themselves. Maybe dwindling record sales could be the key for them to realy let their hair down and give us at least one really f****** great record. A soundtrack for this century. like like war was, like the joshua tree was. Like achtung und Zooropa was. the world really could use something like that coming from them/ Other wise they should really hang it up before they embarrass themselves even further

To be honest I find Mode more consistent. Yeah Maybe they sell less records than U2 but at least they never betrayed their music. they never sold out.

aahhhh....so funny to hear people say 'sold out' when in context, they have no idea what that means....and....who has the definition of selling out?  What does selling out mean...taking corporate sponsorship? selling your music for ads?  Give me a break, this is a tired argument.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
yeah I agree. just under the 90's definition of 'selling out' when that was the big topic...'Exciter' would fit under that because it was sold and marketed at Violator version 2.0. And it wasn't...it sucked.

But the term 'selling out' is stooopid.  :P I didn't bring it up either! see the guy above me. well I guess the guy above you that's above me. oh....whatever.  ;)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »
Depeche Mode have been irrelevant for over a decade now.  They aren't even a blip in the radar of the music industry.  This is really what happens when bands abuse substances during their heyday.  It is a good thing U2, save for one member, have been generally into clean living.  We are blessed to have a band like U2.

Cheers,

J

Offline hawthorn mccadden

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2009, 03:26:06 AM »
Depeche Mode have been irrelevant for over a decade now.  They aren't even a blip in the radar of the music industry.  This is really what happens when bands abuse substances during their heyday.  It is a good thing U2, save for one member, have been generally into clean living.  We are blessed to have a band like U2.

Cheers,

J

Woah! Jick, go easy on Depeche.

Their ace in the hole, Alan Wilder, left after "Songs of Faith and Devotion". He was like Depeche Mode's equivalent of Edge. A brilliant musician...even classically trained. Check out the album "Violator"...that is a hard album to not appreciate. I will even say it is damn catchy...thanks largely to Alan.

And Depeche have never sounded the same without Alan. He left one album after Violator.

And about the drug abuse: I believe Gahan's return to "clean living" needs to acknowledged here. He has worked hard, straightened out, and that should always be applauded. And he still has one hell of a voice.

(And if you want to meet some pretty girls, go to a Depeche Mode concert ;))

Thas' all.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2009, 06:51:50 AM »
this can be argued until the end of time. Depeche Mode did sell out. It was called "Exciter". Sound of the Universe is a great album. I love it. But it's not exactly new either. It's a mix/culmination of every period of DM's career. So, just like you're saying NLOTH is same old, Some DM fans are saying the same about SOTU. The only track that offers any progression really is Come Back, if the shoegaze-y version is the official album version. All that aside, it's a great enjoyable album. NLOTH is far superior though IMHO.
Well then we have all the time in the world.
Anyway U2 sold out with all that you can leave behind. POP didn't start their creative decline. it was all that you can leave behind which was the nail in their coffin. yeah it sold a couple of million units but boy was it a boringly safe album. Even the lyrics toned down. Then came the "bomb" which was a bomb and not in the nicest sense of the word.

And now the decline is apparent creativly but also in the chartsales. 76% delcine after just one week release sounds pretty bad to me.

They really should've done an album that speaks of the times we live in. WAR did that perfectly with the No Future consensus of those days. Pride came at the moment we really needed it and so. And the joshua spoke of so many beautiful things like love and loss.

Achtung baby and Zooropa totaly en perfectly tapped in to the cyberpunk era.

No line tapped absoluty into nothing. Yeah they tried hard and falied with lyrics like "force quit then move to trash" It means absolulty nothing.

U2 should really open their eyes and look around again to what's happeing and really feel it again
Other wise hang it up.

Yeah they sold out when they started making populistic music to pull back the people who judged them for making creative leaps. POP wasn't a failure trying hard to get the fans back by maing real commercial bland music that was failure which they never recovered from.
They sold out.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »
Anyway U2 sold out with all that you can leave behind. POP didn't start their creative decline. it was all that you can leave behind which was the nail in their coffin. yeah it sold a couple of million units but boy was it a boringly safe album. Even the lyrics toned down. Then came the "bomb" which was a bomb and not in the nicest sense of the word.

And now the decline is apparent creativly but also in the chartsales. 76% delcine after just one week release sounds pretty bad to me.

They really should've done an album that speaks of the times we live in. WAR did that perfectly with the No Future consensus of those days. Pride came at the moment we really needed it and so. And the joshua spoke of so many beautiful things like love and loss.

No line tapped absoluty into nothing. Yeah they tried hard and falied with lyrics like "force quit then move to trash" It means absolulty nothing.

U2 should really open their eyes and look around again to what's happeing and really feel it again
Other wise hang it up.

Yeah they sold out when they started making populistic music to pull back the people who judged them for making creative leaps. POP wasn't a failure trying hard to get the fans back by maing real commercial bland music that was failure which they never recovered from.
They sold out.

I tend to agree with your statements about NLOTH, after giving it a few listens.  Sure I was all hot for it when it came out but that may have just been the over-anticipation.

I don't agree with your statements about ATYCLB and HTDAAB though.  That was just U2 finding themselves and being four musicians in one room again.

This album though shows they are grasping for straws of new ideas.  The desperation is clear when they needed Eno and Lanois to even help them with the songwriting process and contributing lyrics.

But at the bottom of it all, these albums discussed here are still leagues above anything Depeche Mode has done or can do in the last 10 years or so.

Cheers,

J

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2009, 07:14:09 AM »
Maybe desperation is what they need to get back on track. desperation and getting very very hungry again. And not being afraid of critisism. And not being afraid to step out of their comfort zone.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:51 PM »

Other wise hang it up.

They sold out.

i guess you take 'force quit & move to trash' at face value then. It means nothing else to you? It means a lot more to me than computer commands. Everyone's entitled to an opinion I guess. IMO, U2 are more in touch with the world than perhaps any other artist right now. They walk the walk and they generally put their money where their mouths are. And what big mouths!  :D I absolutely love NLOTH! It keeps sounding better and better!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »

Cheers,

J

Woah! Jick, go easy on Depeche.

Their ace in the hole, Alan Wilder, left after "Songs of Faith and Devotion". He was like Depeche Mode's equivalent of Edge. A brilliant musician...even classically trained. Check out the album "Violator"...that is a hard album to not appreciate. I will even say it is damn catchy...thanks largely to Alan.

And Depeche have never sounded the same without Alan. He left one album after Violator.

And about the drug abuse: I believe Gahan's return to "clean living" needs to acknowledged here. He has worked hard, straightened out, and that should always be applauded. And he still has one hell of a voice.

(And if you want to meet some pretty girls, go to a Depeche Mode concert ;))

Thas' all.

Lol, DM are still very big. I would not call them a blip. What is all this 'relevant' talk anyway? This argument of 'relevancy ' will turn out to be as pointless as saying that an artist has 'sold out'. DM make great music that is both edgy, dark, and spiritual. Great sounds and a great singer. And, while ignored by radio in the U.S. at least, they still move a ton of albums and concert tickets. Their contributions to electronic popular music are widely respected, and perhaps should be even more respected.

You're right about the loss of Alan Wilder though. While Martin Gore controlled the brilliant song writing, it was Alan who mainly controlled their soundscapes. They've been trying to get the sound back ever since. The new album seems to pretty much nail it. Not an easy task as it's taken them well over a decade to get back to their essence.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »

Other wise hang it up.

They sold out.

i guess you take 'force quit & move to trash' at face value then. It means nothing else to you? It means a lot more to me than computer commands. Everyone's entitled to an opinion I guess. IMO, U2 are more in touch with the world than perhaps any other artist right now. They walk the walk and they generally put their money where their mouths are. And what big mouths!  :D I absolutely love NLOTH! It keeps sounding better and better!
Let's see if you're still loving it 15 years from now. A lot of songs from the last 2 albums don't seem to get a lot of airplay here in holland. We get a lot of where the streets have no name and Pride but the stuff they did the last 17 you don't hear that much. Ok One gets played something but not as much as it used to be.