Author Topic: The New Depeche Mode far better than No line on the Horizon  (Read 7489 times)

joegtheog

Re: The New Depeche Mode far better than No line on the Horizon
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »
Yawn

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »
Whaaaaaaaat? Depeche Mode irrelevant for over a decade? Ultra was such a good album. One of the best of the 90s IMO (along with others like Blur, OK Computer, Achtung etc.).

joegtheog

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Whaaaaaaaat? Depeche Mode irrelevant for over a decade? Ultra was such a good album. One of the best of the 90s IMO (along with others like Blur, OK Computer, Achtung etc.).

Ultra came out in 1997.  Thats over a decade ago.  LOL

Seriously,  I like Ultra a lot but "The Bottom Line" is one of the worst songs they have ever done.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

Ultra came out in 1997.  Thats over a decade ago.  LOL

Seriously,  I like Ultra a lot but "The Bottom Line" is one of the worst songs they have ever done.

Yeah I guess that makes sense then.

But then again, U2 hasn't been irrelevant for over a decade. But their last two albums (before No Line) have been euck.

And yeah I agree with The Bottom Line being bad.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »
this can be argued until the end of time. Depeche Mode did sell out. It was called "Exciter". Sound of the Universe is a great album. I love it. But it's not exactly new either. It's a mix/culmination of every period of DM's career. So, just like you're saying NLOTH is same old, Some DM fans are saying the same about SOTU. The only track that offers any progression really is Come Back, if the shoegaze-y version is the official album version. All that aside, it's a great enjoyable album. NLOTH is far superior though IMHO.
Well then we have all the time in the world.
Anyway U2 sold out with all that you can leave behind. POP didn't start their creative decline. it was all that you can leave behind which was the nail in their coffin. yeah it sold a couple of million units but boy was it a boringly safe album. Even the lyrics toned down. Then came the "bomb" which was a bomb and not in the nicest sense of the word.

And now the decline is apparent creativly but also in the chartsales. 76% delcine after just one week release sounds pretty bad to me.

They really should've done an album that speaks of the times we live in. WAR did that perfectly with the No Future consensus of those days. Pride came at the moment we really needed it and so. And the joshua spoke of so many beautiful things like love and loss.

Achtung baby and Zooropa totaly en perfectly tapped in to the cyberpunk era.

No line tapped absoluty into nothing. Yeah they tried hard and falied with lyrics like "force quit then move to trash" It means absolulty nothing.

U2 should really open their eyes and look around again to what's happeing and really feel it again
Other wise hang it up.

Yeah they sold out when they started making populistic music to pull back the people who judged them for making creative leaps. POP wasn't a failure trying hard to get the fans back by maing real commercial bland music that was failure which they never recovered from.
They sold out.

i guess you take 'force quit & move to trash' at face value then. It means nothing else to you? It means a lot more to me than computer commands. Everyone's entitled to an opinion I guess. IMO, U2 are more in touch with the world than perhaps any other artist right now. They walk the walk and they generally put their money where their mouths are. And what big mouths!  :D I absolutely love NLOTH! It keeps sounding better and better!
Let's see if you're still loving it 15 years from now. A lot of songs from the last 2 albums don't seem to get a lot of airplay here in holland. We get a lot of where the streets have no name and Pride but the stuff they did the last 17 you don't hear that much. Ok One gets played something but not as much as it used to be.

that's because most radio sucks. a lot of people don't listen to music anymore and when they do they want the stuff they heard way back before they developed man boobs or when they lost their virginity.

I'll save you 15 years. Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Breathe, and White as Snow will certainly stand the test of time. Will they be played on radio? I don't know. But I don't look to radio to tell me what good music is. Depeche Mode don't get played on radio. Least not in the U.S. that much. If they did it would probably be "Enjoy the Silence" or "Personal Jesus". And, I'm sure you'd agree that their music holds up 15+ years later.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:03:03 PM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

hurricane hugo

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
I liked No line when it came out but now it kinda doesn't stick like the New Depeche Mode does. yeah  Bands like Duran Duran and Depeche Mode are very underrated.
With U2 it feels too much same old same old. I am really a huge fan of their music but it gets tiring to hear the same structure of song making over and over again. And the lyrics of aren't that great anymore. He used to have these killer opening lines that grabbed you by the throat and would let you go until the song was finished. I really loved that. Also the simplicity but directness of their songs and his lyrics got to me. Check Dirty Day, Please, Stay, In your blue room (very very underrated song by the way), one, pride, new years day, bad and the list goes on and on. Their last 2 albums are lacking that.

Bono's big mouth in advance before an albums gets released also annoys me. This time he was yelling Stuff about experimenting and blah blah. He gave a lot of people the hope that this was going to be an album that would really stretch the ability of their music So I was warming up for that. well it turned out to be not the case and we got is a kinda dull collectiong of song, who hold up better as an whole album then teh 2 albums before but it didn't show anything but U2 firmly staying in tehir comfort zone. Afraid to go all the way. And it shows. I like some of the intro's but then the over familiar  cliché U2 sounds kicks in and destroys any hope of of what the song really could've been. No line is another missed opportunity for U2 to go all the way. I'm really wandering looking at the sales how long they think they will be able to fool the crowd but mostly themselves. Maybe dwindling record sales could be the key for them to realy let their hair down and give us at least one really f****** great record. A soundtrack for this century. like like war was, like the joshua tree was. Like achtung und Zooropa was. the world really could use something like that coming from them/ Other wise they should really hang it up before they embarrass themselves even further

To be honest I find Mode more consistent. Yeah Maybe they sell less records than U2 but at least they never betrayed their music. they never sold out.

"You sell out the moment you sign a recording contract. After that, the best you can do is protect your art." - Peter Garrett, Midnight Oil

#@!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
good one!