Author Topic: Songs To End Main Set  (Read 4726 times)

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Songs To End Main Set
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:11:45 AM »
Streets and Pride have held this position for a long time. Personally, i think Streets is THE song to end concerts with, but a few people in the forum have said that both songs mentioned should be dropped for the next tour. If this was to happen, what song should they end with?

Vertigo or Out Of Control are what springs to mind to end euphorically.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: Songs To End Main Set
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Streets and Pride have held this position for a long time. Personally, i think Streets is THE song to end concerts with, but a few people in the forum have said that both songs mentioned should be dropped for the next tour. If this was to happen, what song should they end with?

Streets be dropped from the set?  That's BLASPHEMY! 

Well maybe not blasphemy, but IT'S STREETS!  I can find a LOT more cases where folks from this forum praise that song as U2's best thing live ever, or even the best rock and roll song ever.  If they dropped that from their show I would literally ask for my money back.  I am serious - the feeling in your heart when that chime-like guitar rings out those first few notes and then every fan in the building screaming and jumping up and down in unison.  It doesn't get any better than that.  (I am hoping that the new album will prove that last statement wrong)

Pride could be dropped.  It is a good song and an important song, plus a great sing-a-long, but is not 100% crucial.  I would miss it, but I wouldn't freak out.  It wouldn't have to close the first set, but it should be there somewhere.  Someone in this forum mentioned that Sting plays "Roxanne" in every show because of the fans who are seeing him live for the first time that night.  Pride and Streets (plus maybe One) are the ones that fit that mold for U2.

With that said - to close the main set, my choices would be:

Streets
Bad (would also be an amazing first set closer)
One and Pride could also work well

WOWY could also close the main set, but it has been a staple in the encore for a while and probably works better there.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »

Streets be dropped from the set?  That's BLASPHEMY! 

Well maybe not blasphemy, but IT'S STREETS!  I can find a LOT more cases where folks from this forum praise that song as U2's best thing live ever, or even the best rock and roll song ever.  If they dropped that from their show I would literally ask for my money back.  I am serious - the feeling in your heart when that chime-like guitar rings out those first few notes and then every fan in the building screaming and jumping up and down in unison.  It doesn't get any better than that.  (I am hoping that the new album will prove that last statement wrong)

Pride could be dropped.  It is a good song and an important song, plus a great sing-a-long, but is not 100% crucial.  I would miss it, but I wouldn't freak out.  It wouldn't have to close the first set, but it should be there somewhere.  Someone in this forum mentioned that Sting plays "Roxanne" in every show because of the fans who are seeing him live for the first time that night.  Pride and Streets (plus maybe One) are the ones that fit that mold for U2.

With that said - to close the main set, my choices would be:

Streets
Bad (would also be an amazing first set closer)
One and Pride could also work well

WOWY could also close the main set, but it has been a staple in the encore for a while and probably works better there.
i agree with streets .it is the one song that deserves to stay in the set.personally i wouldn't have pride or one or wowy to end the main set because they hopefully will be dropped altogether and given a rest.i think out of control is a good call for a closer but i will throw in gloria or maybe even gods country,something fast paced and upbeat to end on a bang.failing that if they wanted to keep with something there happy playing maybe vertigo or cobl

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
I think they closed with Kite a few times on the last tour. A good choice imho.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
Kite closed the entire show (as in at the last encore) and it was an amazing way to finish the concert. This is about what song should finish the main set, before the encores.

I'm with mschaus: Bad would be an amazing set-closer, with the snippet of 40 at the end.

Also, there's no way they'll drop streets. There's a quote that was (still is) on the quote thingy on the @U2 home page where, I think it was Willie Williams was talking about how they talked about dropping Streets from the setlist for Popmart, but they realised they couldn't do it. I felt like pulling the heart out of the show. Also, in U2 by U2, Bono mentions that there was talk of not playing streets on the Vertigo tour, because it was so important on the elevation tour and they didn't think they could top it, but "Larry and Adam quite rightly put a stop to that nonsense". It wont happen, and we should all be very, very thankful for that.

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »
"Pride" makes a great first set closer, even if people are getting a little tired of it.  The song in that position is ideally one that will unite the band and the crowd in one last euphoric moment before the encore break, and big sing-a-longs work well.  "Streets" is also a great set-closer, especially with the added coda on the Popmart tour.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »
I was at the ZooTV/MTV Video Awards linkup show in Detroit back in '92, and that night they closed with a medley of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/Stand By Me". Edge sang SBM as Bono left the stage...

How about "a sort of homecoming" or "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"? Naah - just make it The Fly Until the End of the World.

#@!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »
They should close out the main set with a cover of Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing."   :P

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:42:17 PM »
They should close out the main set with a cover of Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing."   :P

I think I might actually be sick. I freaking hate that song.

My opinion may be coloured, though, by the fact that I live in Sydney and seemingly cannot open a newspaper, magazine or news website without seeing another pick of Leo Sayer at this party or that party. How can someone that small and annoying be freaking everywhere?

Offline guitarz

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 05:48:16 AM »
STREETS should be the ender of all enders !!!!!!

Just let that echoed outro ring for minutes while the rest of the band stop playing, then group together around Edge for a final salute...

I actually play the outro waaaaayyyyyyy too long just for the fun of it ... I don't get tired of it.    ;D

Tching, Tching, Tching, Tching, Tching, Tching, ..........  :P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:50:17 AM by guitarz »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
"You got a cute way of talking" Joe! You crack me up, why you "make me feel like dancing, gonna dance the night away!"  Loooove it. They should use it  ;D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 01:38:24 AM »
Main set closing (to get back on line with this thread and to stop images of Bono with a curly perm as per Leo Sayer!!) I really like the idea of Out of Control - it would just leave you on such a high!!!

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
Maybe it will be Streets and they will let that echo chime until they come back on stage.

How about Ultraviolet? I would love to see more Achtung Baby songs on this tour.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
One of the Vertigo shows I was at, closed with Bad. I mean it was the very last song they played. That was a freakin' great closer, too!

I think a good main set closer would be The Unforgettable Fire. Change out Pride for TUF.

And if the mountains should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no not I
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after this loving time
And if you save your love
Save your love, save it all
Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far tonight
Tonight, tonight....