Poll

Whats you fav tune from the album Zooropa!

Zooropa
17 (22.4%)
Babyface
1 (1.3%)
Numb
1 (1.3%)
Lemon
16 (21.1%)
Stay
23 (30.3%)
Daddy's gonna pay for your Crashed car
6 (7.9%)
Some days are better than others
2 (2.6%)
The first time
1 (1.3%)
Dirty Day
6 (7.9%)
The Wanderer
3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: April 12, 2009, 04:37:55 AM

Author Topic: Zooropa  (Read 4352 times)

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Zooropa
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:15 PM »
I agree. Every album before Zooropa had to grow on me; I had to gradually fall in love with pre-Zooropa albums. But. Zooropa was love at first listen. I kind of think it might be because they're weren't any real surprises on it. You know? After how different Achtung Baby was from the JT/R&H era, nothing was going to shock us. They're wasn't really anything on Zooropa that didn't seem like it belonged. Well, okay, maybe The Wanderer.. :) ..but even that didn't seem totally unusual after grasping the quirkiness of the rest of the album.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 06:19:02 AM »
Stay is a great song.  great.  one of U2's great ballads. and the video for it is brilliant.  very touching.  

The Wanderer is ruined by Johnny Cash.  I like Johnny but this just didn't work.  It's made all the more frustrating for me because I loved the version U2 performed on their tribute to JC when he died...and it was great.  So, while the Wanderer is a great song, the album version sucks.

I pretty much like all of U2's music.  The peaks for me are Fire, Joshua, and Achtung with plenty of other really really good albums.  Even their near-misses really only missed by a little.

but Zooropa is their worst album to me by a country mile.  The reason:  they released it while on tour.  they didn't spend time in the studio working it out.  i don't care if this stuff was from the Achtung sessions.  they should have shelved it and worked on it later.  They don't even play it here in America.

I like Zooropa, Babyface, and Stay.  There are some decent songs that would survive better for me on another album (First Time, Dirty Day) but I don't ever listen anymore to:  Numb, Lemon, Daddy, Some Days, and The Wanderer.

I think Pop is miles better.  I agree with the band that it sounds a bit unfinished but there is some really good stuff on there.  I'm not a Pop-hater but I do like to spread the word that even the band has disavowed it.  But Zooropa really drops the ball.  

bottom line: i totally disagree re: "common denominator".

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 06:29:33 AM »
Zooropa, i think, because it really was at the time so different.

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
 ;D

Offline ThatStutterSound

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
Zooropa is a wonderful album. It just has this great warmth, especially in Bono's vocals. Musically, their most interesting and challenging work.

Offline edgecentric

• Refugee
  • Some days have bouncers and won't let you in
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Man melts the sand so he can see the world outside" greatest Bono lyric ever.

My favorite lyric. Brilliant imagery and a brilliant observation.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »
Get your head out of the mud people. :) This is U2 at its experimental best. IMO, better than Pop. Zooropa is one of my fav tunes. Some Days and Daddys Gonna Pay are up there as well. In my top 5 albums, Zooropa sits nicely at #5.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
I tell you what...U2 resurrected "the first time" on the Vertigo tour and it was terrific.

Offline Jazz

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 02:10:07 AM »

Underated!?

It's their best album!!!

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 03:48:04 AM »
I loved "Zooropa" on first listen. For a time it was even my 2nd favourite U2 album, right after TUF. With time my love for it has toned down a bit, but I still think it's a very good album.

My favourite song on it is probably "Lemon", but others come close. The only songs I feel are less than great are "Babyface", "Stay" and "The Wanderer". I can't really understand the love many people seem to have for "Stay" - U2 have much better ballads. The chorus on that song ("If I could stay...") is almost too generic. In fact, it already sounds like the U2 of "All That You Can't Leave Behind".

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »
I tell you what...U2 resurrected "the first time" on the Vertigo tour and it was terrific.

I would say yes by the majority of casual u2 fans

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
i am amused at this love for Zooropa.  It seems to me that the album is the least U2-y album I can think of.  Pop is close to that but I can definitely hear the classic U2 in it.  Zooropa is experimental, but U2 is not experimental.  Sure they have changed their sound over the years but they have never sounded experimental except for that one album.

Zooropa - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere.
Babyface - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Numb - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Lemon - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Stay - played a bunch of times on Elevation tour.  (as I said, it's one of their best songs.  about the only classic U2 sound on the album)
Daddy - never played (full version; once a snippet) in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Some Days - Never performed live
The First Time - never played live during ZooTV tour; re-invented for Vertigo tour and played frequently.
Dirty Day - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere.
The Wanderer - performed once as a tribute to Johnny Cash.  If Cash were still alive, this song would have never been played live.

U2 is first and foremost a live band.  The fact that these songs don't get played live kinda underscores my point.

Stay is a great song.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 07:12:03 AM »
i am amused at this love for Zooropa.  It seems to me that the album is the least U2-y album I can think of.  Pop is close to that but I can definitely hear the classic U2 in it.  Zooropa is experimental, but U2 is not experimental.  Sure they have changed their sound over the years but they have never sounded experimental except for that one album.

Zooropa - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere.
Babyface - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Numb - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Lemon - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Stay - played a bunch of times on Elevation tour.  (as I said, it's one of their best songs.  about the only classic U2 sound on the album)
Daddy - never played (full version; once a snippet) in America, only played in 1993 anywhere
Some Days - Never performed live
The First Time - never played live during ZooTV tour; re-invented for Vertigo tour and played frequently.
Dirty Day - never played in America, only played in 1993 anywhere.
The Wanderer - performed once as a tribute to Johnny Cash.  If Cash were still alive, this song would have never been played live.

U2 is first and foremost a live band.  The fact that these songs don't get played live kinda underscores my point.

Stay is a great song.

The Zooropa album had so many sounds impractical to recreate live.  It was an experimental album more than anything else.  The album is beautiful in its studio version.  It was just a novelty live to create new interest for the Zoo TV Tour which was already going on for a couple of years, but the Zoo TV Tour was still grounded on Achtung Baby so this was never an album designed to be the main star to the tour but more of an addendum.  It is important to know the purpose of the album before downplaying it.

I do agree though that in most cases, the relevance of U2 songs is largely based on how often they get performed live and how many tours they span.  It is safe to say that songs like Streets, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, With Or Without You have reached iconic status.  For the Nineties, songs such as One and Mysterious Ways are there.  And even the new era, we know that Vertigo, Stuck In A Moment, and Beautiful Day belong.

Those songs that are "one-tour-wonders" with the occasional appearance on subsequent tours are hardly of iconic status.

Cheers,

J

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »
well, if the goal was to increase interest in the ZooTV tour, you'd think they'd play the songs more often on that tour once the album was released. 

way too experimental for me.  i'm glad it doesn't sound like U2.  cuz if it did, I would have lost faith in the band.  they would have turned into Radiohead and gone all weird.

that's why Achtung Baby is a perfect album.  it is radically different in sound from all that came before but at the same time it retained the classic U2 sound.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
well, if the goal was to increase interest in the ZooTV tour, you'd think they'd play the songs more often on that tour once the album was released. 

way too experimental for me.  i'm glad it doesn't sound like U2.  cuz if it did, I would have lost faith in the band.  they would have turned into Radiohead and gone all weird.

that's why Achtung Baby is a perfect album.  it is radically different in sound from all that came before but at the same time it retained the classic U2 sound.

The 2nd part of "Zooropa", the song, has some of that classic U2 sound. And "Dirty Day" sounds like a Achtung out-take. There's nothing experimental about "Babyface" and "Stay". In fact, "Zooropa" is not an experimental album - you'd have to reach for "Original Soundtracks" to find something really experimental in the U2 catalogue.