Poll

Whats you fav tune from the album Zooropa!

Zooropa
17 (22.4%)
Babyface
1 (1.3%)
Numb
1 (1.3%)
Lemon
16 (21.1%)
Stay
23 (30.3%)
Daddy's gonna pay for your Crashed car
6 (7.9%)
Some days are better than others
2 (2.6%)
The first time
1 (1.3%)
Dirty Day
6 (7.9%)
The Wanderer
3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: April 12, 2009, 04:37:55 AM

Author Topic: Zooropa  (Read 4396 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Zooropa
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
I love this album.  It took me a looong time to get it, but once I got it I couldn't stop.  Stay is easily the last, most haunting ballad they have ever released.  And that video really gets under my skin in a good way.   There are so many colors and textures in Edge's playing that I think it rivals his work on any other album.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »
Interesting to see the song Zooropa among the poll leaders.

Can those who voted for that song explain their vote?  Just curious.

Cheers,

J

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
well, if the goal was to increase interest in the ZooTV tour, you'd think they'd play the songs more often on that tour once the album was released. 

way too experimental for me.  i'm glad it doesn't sound like U2.  cuz if it did, I would have lost faith in the band.  they would have turned into Radiohead and gone all weird.

that's why Achtung Baby is a perfect album.  it is radically different in sound from all that came before but at the same time it retained the classic U2 sound.

The 2nd part of "Zooropa", the song, has some of that classic U2 sound. And "Dirty Day" sounds like a Achtung out-take. There's nothing experimental about "Babyface" and "Stay". In fact, "Zooropa" is not an experimental album - you'd have to reach for "Original Soundtracks" to find something really experimental in the U2 catalogue.

Like I said before, I like Zooropa, Babyface and (I love) Stay.  First Time and Dirty Day are ones that I could listen to if on another album.  I don't hate the album.  But i won't listen again to Numb, Lemon, Daddy, Some Days, and The Wanderer.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
Stay is my favorite, although the entire album is brilliant. Each song is something different yet they all flow well together.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »
IMO, as an album, Zooropa is average.

To me, Zooropa and Stay are the only really good songs on this album.  There are a few pretty good songs, and then a few boring songs.  I don't dislike the album, I just don't think it is one of U2's best.  Once Pop came out, I don't think I listened to Zooropa much after that.

Zooropa is my favorite song from the album.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
I voted for Zooropa as I really just love the song.  I love the way it builds, I love the texture it has musically, I love it's lyrics.  It really sets up the album and fits really well with some of the other tracks.  I felt like it goes well with Lemon, Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Some Days are Better Than Others.  Lyrically and musically this groups of songs are fantastic.  Last, I feel like next to Streets and perhaps Zoo Station, Zooropa may be the best lead off track for a U2 album.

Zooropa (the album) has always been among my U2 top 3.  When I look back at it musically, and lyrically, I would have expected it to become the most dated of U2 albums.  Lyrically and musically, it just felt so 90s when it came out, yet I find that a lot of the themes remain relevant (as do most U2 albums in general).  I find that the album really reflects U2 at that period of time, during the ZooTV tour, and how they were looking at the world at the time.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
Stay

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2009, 05:14:26 AM »
 :D

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 05:25:48 AM »
Daddy's going to pay of course.

It's just...mad. Larry's drum's are immense. You gotta love that fuzzy loop that repeats underneath it all...

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2009, 05:48:11 AM »

My vote goes to Zooropa, with its mellow, floppy first verses segueing into the expansive adrenalin-rush of the last verses.

I didn't like the album when it first came out (although it did have some profound personal significance in 1993). Now though I love it.

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 02:20:09 PM »
Stay is one of my Top 5 U2 songs and videos.

They need to play it more. And not just acoustic like on Elevation.

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »
 ;D :o ::)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 04:13:47 PM »
I voted for Daddy's Gonna Pay - it has one of Adam's best bass lines, is very different yet still unmistakably U2. Interesting to see Stay in the lead - this is my LEAST favourite song from Zooropa. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the album, it's like traditional U2 and would actually go with ATYCLB.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2009, 02:58:04 AM »
I voted for Zooropa as I really just love the song.  I love the way it builds, I love the texture it has musically, I love it's lyrics.  It really sets up the album and fits really well with some of the other tracks.  I felt like it goes well with Lemon, Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Some Days are Better Than Others.  Lyrically and musically this groups of songs are fantastic.  Last, I feel like next to Streets and perhaps Zoo Station, Zooropa may be the best lead off track for a U2 album.

Zooropa (the album) has always been among my U2 top 3.  When I look back at it musically, and lyrically, I would have expected it to become the most dated of U2 albums.  Lyrically and musically, it just felt so 90s when it came out, yet I find that a lot of the themes remain relevant (as do most U2 albums in general).  I find that the album really reflects U2 at that period of time, during the ZooTV tour, and how they were looking at the world at the time.
Funny that it turned out that achtung (wich actually is a better produced album and initially better received album) ended up sounding far more dated than Zooropa. I loved it the moment it came out. Over the years I ended up playing it far more than Achtung or any other U2 record. I doubt that No line can keep up with it over the years to come. No line will fade away Zooropa for ever will STAY.