Poll

Is the band a different entity today? Read on and comment please.

Yes
12 (46.2%)
No
5 (19.2%)
Not entirely
9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: The band I love has changed  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: The band I love has changed
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, your post really made no sense to everyone else reading it as none of us saw what they wrote, so if you're looking to make a public show of "how not to post' it kinda failed as we didn't get to see it. I'm sure you also handled it privately....

It should have made sense to everyone.  The message I wrote was to consider the wide variety of of age, culture and sensitivity levels of those who come through this board before deciding to hit the "post" button.  Surely that message came through as it was very plain - be responsible in your posts.  It was especially clear to those who left me reason to jump in.

The fact that few people saw what was written to cause me to leave that comment means I'm doing my job.

I hope this helps bring things into focus for you.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »
Thank you Matt & Joe (for everything!).

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »
I guess my issue would be with the sonic shadings aka the production. The songs sound perhaps too clean and slick; there's a lot of polish on the songs.
I really don't think that the overproduction aspect is a new issue for them.

Rattle and Hum is a good example - you have the Sun Studios stuff where they recorded "5 songs in 5 hours" and then you have songs like Hawkmoon (take #269).  What about Joshua Tree, where they worked and reworked Streets so much (~40% of the recording time) that Brian Eno (I think it was him) tried to "accidentally" erase the tapes?  Some of the articles about the new album also hint at some of these issues, most notably Edge's description about the new album having sort of 2 categories of songs: those captured at the moment of creation and those that they are working and reworking. 

By itself, production shading isn't a bad thing, as long as the soul of the song is kept intact.  Streets is the best example - by being worked and reworked, it developed into the song we know from the album.  However, the true development of their music comes when they take the show on the road, and the songs take on a new form.  Streets got elevated from a really good song to "God walking through the room". Even Yahweh (which I didn't like on HTDAAB) got elevated into a pretty good element of the encore.

Maybe the last 2 albums have had a decent amount of polish.  Perhaps that is their attempt to avoid something like Pop, which they felt could have used more polishing.  I think that a mini tour (before finishing the album) with small venue shows for U2.com members would be a brilliant idea.  It could help them develop their songs and get them in final form (plus they would add a LOT of memberships).  I don't mind polish, as long as it is a gem that you are polishing.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:50:28 PM by mschaus »

Offline guitarz

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 04:40:45 AM »
Thank God they changed over the years... But still, you can always recognize the style and signature of the each of the band.

I can't stand groups that sound the same album after album after album.... And there's too many to list here and I don't intent on bashing any of these...

That's what I like about U2, they don't just sit on something that worked in the past, do it over again to sell records, take the money, fame and run...

Can't wait for the next, different sounding album !!!!    ;D

Thanks U2 for being what U are !!!

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 05:19:40 AM »
That's funny, the same question was asked about U2 (especially Bono) on a Morrissey fansite. Here's my answer :

People change...

I advise you to look vor a DVD bootleg of U2 playing in Dortmund 11/21/84, this is the last example I know of the "young Bono".

By "young Bono", I mean the guy who was totally immersed in the songs and not really aware of himself.

Then came the "responsible Bono", then "the fly Bono", then the "rock star Bono"...as he once said : "I'm a nice bunch of guys".

I like him all the way but the "young Bono" made me a U2 fan, I'm not sure the actual Bono could do that.

And again...people change : U2 members are married, have kids, have tons of $$$...that only would justify a major change of lifestyle for much of us, if not all.

I've changed too in the last 20 years. A lot. So did my wife. And we're still in love.

And remember U2 kept the same line up all the way and that's a bit of a miracle. What would have happened to The Smiths if they had stuck together all this years ?

About the songs evolving in a live setting : Yes, that WAS the case, but with all the loops and back tracking that they use on almost each song nowadays, much of the time they just can't express anything else than what has been recorded.

examples : "City of Blinding Lights", "Miracle drug", "Crumbs"...are all good but it's about the same thing live as it was on the record. What's the point of a live show if you just reproduce what's on tape ?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »
Change is inevitable. Influences, personal experiences, personal losses, all these affect us and change us as we move on.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »
I just want to applaud all the opinions here... I think everyone is hitting a nail on the head.

U2 has changed, and there is nothing wrong with it.  My problem with HTDAAB is that it felt like they were almost trying to prove that they hadn't changed.  It felt like a midlife crisis type of thing.

They tried to record an album that reached back to the sound of Boy, October, War while keeping the song writing in the now like in ATYCLB and then overproduced it to too sharp a sound.

On the whole there might not be anything wrong with that, and if I listen to HTDAAB without thinking about that, it is a great album.  But, if you are trying to show that you are a group with that raw energy you had back during Boy or War then you got to back off the production a bit so as to be more convincing.  I also think that a lot of the more ballad style pieces don't help if that is goal... and the more I think of it, perhaps that wasn't entirely the goal.

Regardless, I do look forward to the new U2 whatever that may be.  I'll admit I am a bit tired of this incarnation of U2 that recorded ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

mariamontreal

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 10:51:39 AM »
Of course they have changed , I have changed , you have changed, the world has changed . It would be theoreticaLLY impossible to remain the same as they were back in the 80's and so forth . They would be pretty boring in todays world if they stagnated ,and stayed stuck in a moment and never got out of it . They remain true to themselves that is the difference , and sing about it in different ways and sounds. That is what makes them stand out from other bands . Change is good !

Offline Stanley

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »
I agree 100% with the first post.

I don't have a problem with change per se. The change from Joshua to Achtung was amazing for example.
But I can't get into the change that came with ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

Looking forward to the new album.

mariamontreal

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 10:23:58 AM »
Well Stanley , the change is going to come and we will hear it very soon . Cannot wait !

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 10:33:57 AM »
Some people don't really change over the years, but I think U2 have always had that desire to constantly reinvent themselves and try something new. I think it's a good thing, that's why they're one of the very few bands who manage to sound fresh after 30+ years in the business.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
Well Stanley , the change is going to come and we will hear it very soon . Cannot wait !

Interesting use of words, because You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »
That would be a change!  Seriously, TKL/Z, thanks for the link.  Pain never sounded so sweet.

mariamontreal

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
What ? TKL/Z & u2yooper? You lost me there ! I am talking about the new album definetly not sounding the same , change , new sounds, etc .... nothing to do with Sam Cooke .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:39:54 PM by mariamontreal »