Author Topic: Worst U2 Song Title? (Regardless if you love the song or not)  (Read 7102 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Worst U2 Song Title? (Regardless if you love the song or not)
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Totally random, but I have to know- is ":if I were able" in Crumbs From Your Table a grammatical erorr also? Okay, jusdt being random. :D

It's always "If... were" if what's being talked about is hypothetical (as in, "If I were taller"). But you can use "was" with "if" when you're talking about something real event in the past ("I'm not sure if I was born yet").

PS - I thought Bono sang, "if I was able" in Crumbs? If so, it's wrong.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:05:45 PM by The Exile »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »

Sorry, mate, sentiment can't save the song for me, I think it's rubbish. Meaningless lyrics and poor singing.

I'm not typically going to ever defend 'Peace on Earth', but I'm not sure that listing the lives of people who died in the Omagh Bombing and saying 'Their lives are bigger than any big idea' really qualifies as meaningless - at least in comparison to quite a lot of U2's catalogue, from Some Days Are Better Than Others to Elevation.

Yeah, I understand that part. But a lot of the rest of the lyric is just kind of inane. I mean, "where there was trees [grammatical error] we'd tear them down and use them on our enemies"?

Plus it's sung poorly.

No argument on the poor singing, but I think the lyrics make sense, even if they can be a bit crude. (Although I am personally a fan of 'hope and history won't rhyme) That line is DEFINITELY a poor and crude line, but it does make sense- it's essentially saying that even where there is something as simple and harmless and potentially beautiful as a tree, it gets torn down and used as a weapon  - like wood in catapults, or whatever.  Man's capacity to turn even things meant to help into things meant to hurt, essentially. Again, really bad lyric, no question- but I wouldn't say it's meaningless.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »

Sorry, mate, sentiment can't save the song for me, I think it's rubbish. Meaningless lyrics and poor singing.

I'm not typically going to ever defend 'Peace on Earth', but I'm not sure that listing the lives of people who died in the Omagh Bombing and saying 'Their lives are bigger than any big idea' really qualifies as meaningless - at least in comparison to quite a lot of U2's catalogue, from Some Days Are Better Than Others to Elevation.

Yeah, I understand that part. But a lot of the rest of the lyric is just kind of inane. I mean, "where there was trees [grammatical error] we'd tear them down and use them on our enemies"?

Plus it's sung poorly.

No argument on the poor singing, but I think the lyrics make sense, even if they can be a bit crude. (Although I am personally a fan of 'hope and history won't rhyme) That line is DEFINITELY a poor and crude line, but it does make sense- it's essentially saying that even where there is something as simple and harmless and potentially beautiful as a tree, it gets torn down and used as a weapon  - like wood in catapults, or whatever.  Man's capacity to turn even things meant to help into things meant to hurt, essentially. Again, really bad lyric, no question- but I wouldn't say it's meaningless.

Oh that's what it's about.  I thought Bono was just singing about his childhood.  In that case I'd better scrub my earlier post. :-[

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »

Totally random, but I have to know- is ":if I were able" in Crumbs From Your Table a grammatical erorr also? Okay, jusdt being random. :D

It's always "If... were" if what's being talked about is hypothetical (as in, "If I were taller"). But you can use "was" with "if" when you're talking about something real event in the past ("I'm not sure if I was born yet").

PS - I thought Bono sang, "if I was able" in Crumbs? If so, it's wrong.
Oh, yeah, it's "was" but I just haven't listened to that song in a while so my mind probably auto-corrected it. 
On the subject of titles, Crumbs From Your Table is one that I never fully got...

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
Crumbs From Your Table refers to how the wealthy (in this case, a wealthy country) will always looks after its own comfort and wellbeing before that of the poorer (country). All that we give them is the metaphorical crumbs left over from our feast, which we then sweep to the floor for them to consume.

"Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die."

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
Crumbs From Your Table refers to how the wealthy (in this case, a wealthy country) will always looks after its own comfort and wellbeing before that of the poorer (country). All that we give them is the metaphorical crumbs left over from our feast, which we then sweep to the floor for them to consume.

"Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die."
OH! It makes so much more sense to me now.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
Love and Peace or Else. Stupid title and worse song. Like the only U2 song I truly can't listen to.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
RE: Peace on Earth

I actually thought Bono sang "The pope and history won't rhyme", so 'hope' actually makes more sense  ;D Anyway, PoE is moot point. You won't see them performing it live anytime, nor giving it any homorable mention.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »

Two shots of happy one shot of sad

That's Frank Sinatra's title, not U2's.

What do you mean? As I understand it U2 wrote it (and presumably titled it), right?

Well I'll be damned. All this time I thought the song was a cover.

Were you thinking of Ive Got You Under My Skin?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »
Love and Peace or Else. Stupid title and worse song. Like the only U2 song I truly can't listen to.

Yea. Dumb title. I used to hate it but the live version makes me appreciate it more. Anyways dumb title is dumb.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 01:50:04 AM »

Two shots of happy one shot of sad

That's Frank Sinatra's title, not U2's.

What do you mean? As I understand it U2 wrote it (and presumably titled it), right?

Well I'll be damned. All this time I thought the song was a cover.

Were you thinking of Ive Got You Under My Skin?

Yes I was.

And Peace On Earth has been performed live. Several times.