Author Topic: My U2 success story  (Read 1566 times)

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
My U2 success story
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
Hello again from macphisto. Because this forum is for all things Feedback, I think it's apropos to share how the Hype literally saved and transformed my life. I'd appreciate your comments and feedback on your own stories :)

This story begins in October 2007. I was in my senior year of HS and recently smitten by a case of unrequited love. There was a girl who I believed was absolutely stunning. Naively, I assumed that she would reciprocate and made her out to be the epitome of the ideal woman (I guess you could say I idealized her as even better than the real thing). However, she flatly turned me down and turned out to be the most pretentious and cruel individual I have ever met. She wouldn't so much as even look at me. I understand the idea of awkwardness, but to deny for others the right to even be acknowledged...was the quintessence of cruel.

I was distraught beyond words. From October 07 to about March of 08, I wallowed in a state of abject depression. I shunned friends and came pretty close to thoughts of suicide. I would spontaneously decompose into a saltwater mess whenever the slightest reminder of her essence came up. It was pretty pathetic, I must admit in hindsight. It was during this time that I began rediscovering the Hype. Before, I'd loved them for their musical genius and lyricism. But now, several of their timeless classics were born anew in my head. With or Without You became MY song; for months, I kept on singing "...and you give yourself away, and you give yourself away, and you give, you give, and you give yourself away' wherever I went.

Truth be told, songs like WOWY, Bad and One helped me out of the mire. I became empowered to take control of the situation. At some point, the music kicked in and I felt like rising again, like resurrecting a la Lazarus from my silent death. I started eating more healthy, lost 50 pounds, worked strenuously unlike ever before in school, got a full scholarship to college, and graduated as the Valedictorian out a graduating class of 680. I'm currently at school and having the time of my life.

Certainly, the music wasn't the magic pill that got me in better physical and academic shape. However, it was the catalyst that allowed me to overcome my intense emotional distress. If it hadn't been for Feedback, I'd still be in my dreams and drowning in sorrows learning how to swim, surrounding me, going down on me, spilling over the brim...

To Paul Hewson, Adam Clayton, Dave Evans, and Larry Mullen, Jr...
And especially to Iris and Bobby H. from the southside of Dublin...
Thank you.

Wide awake,
Macphisto

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
Re: My U2 success story
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Glad you're wide awake now, macphisto.  Sounds like you went through a rough patch and came out the other side.  I'm happy you found strength to make a success of your life.  U2 has some good songs for hard times.  "Walk On" and 'Stuck in a Moment" both work for me.   :)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: My U2 success story
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
That is absolutely awesome. Congrats, macphisto. :)