ZOO TV v PopMart

ZOO TV
58 (74.4%)
PopMart
13 (16.7%)
Can't decide
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Better Tour? ZOO TV v PopMart  (Read 5314 times)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Better Tour? ZOO TV v PopMart
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:02:14 PM »
Which of U2s two 90's tours do you think was better, in term of excitement, presentation and setlists?

Vote now.  :)

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Better Tour? ZOO TV v PopMart
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:16:15 AM »
I'm sitting on the fence for this one. I think ZooTV has the edge for setlists - opening with seven or eight songs in a row from the new album is ballsy and inspired - although the Pop songs kicked ar*e live, and Please-Streets was phenomenal. ZooTV also has the fact that it was new, very unexpected and totally messed with people's expectations. Popmart on the other hand was perhaps even more ballsy, and the design was more coherent, more colourful, more in-your-face, more just-about-everything. Yes, it took a while to get firing, but when it was on song, it was phenomenal. Also... that screen  :o

So yeah, sitting on the fence. Glad that each of them existed and that we have DVDs of both. On that note: IMHO, Popmart is the better show to watch, ZooTV is the better show to listen to.

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:43 AM »
For me Zoo TV wins by a mile.  It was groundbreaking, they had done nothing like it before, and not what people had expected from U2, that was brave of them.  Also they had the rich vein of Achtung Baby songs to add to their setlist.  Popmart was ok, but for me I'd had enough of the "big" shows by then and Pop was not such a brilliant source of new songs to perform.  I was glad when they scaled everything back again with the Elevation Tour.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:23 AM »
oh this is a mismatch zoo v wins hands down.the band took live shows to a whole new level with zootv tour .the technology the setlists.i believe alot of bands including the stones started using a b-stage not long ater the boys started using one on this tour,this tour had everything for me it was the band reinventing themselves in a whole new way that we never expected and the songs were damn good too :).popmart for me was just ill prepared,starting a tour without the album being released was a mistake and they weren't ready and the early part of the tour you could tell that.i saw popmart at leeds in 97 and apart from the weather and cast i don't remmeber a whole lot about that show whereas birmingham nec 92 just stands out for so many reasons.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:40:55 AM »
I'd say ZooTV. It had the whole Fly/MacPhisto/ Mirrorball Man element to it and it was all so unexpected. Also Bono's vocals were far better and I think there are more classic performances on that tour than Popmart. Nevertheless, Popmart was also really cool but won't be remembered in the same way ZooTV was.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »
I think everything about ZooTV worked better - Bono's vocals, the way they performed the songs, the set-lists - everything.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 07:16:18 AM »
My vote is for ZooTV - quite the gutsy move.  I remember being absolutely blown away by the first 7 songs, all back to back in your face AB.  I caught the first leg of that tour and even that was a nonstop visual assault that changed everything about a concert (video monitors, B stage, etc.).  Even the band was radically reinvented, with the earnestness of the JT tour replaced by the irony and sarcasm of the fly and mirrorball man (MacPhisto hadn't yet made his appearance).  Even the quiet moments like One, Angel of Harlem and Satellite of Love were amazing, especially in contrast to the audiovisual assault we had just endured.

Does a band have to radically reinvent themselves every tour - NO, but that was not the question.  Was PopMart amazing - clearly, but it's hard to top ZooTV.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »
Zoo TV!  I think this one is going to crush Pop (but you never know).

mariamontreal

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »
ZOO TV - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

Boom Cha!

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »
Well, since I never saw either in person I'll go by the two DVD's that I own.

I prefer Popmart....very shiny.... :o

(hhmmm....I seem to be the only one, so far, to vote for Popmart)

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, since I never saw either in person I'll go by the two DVD's that I own.

I prefer Popmart....very shiny.... :o

(hhmmm....I seem to be the only one, so far, to vote for Popmart)
well if your judging just by the dvd's, popmart is stronger.the sydney zooroopa/zoomarang live dvd was taken 18 months after the zoo tv tour actually started and included another album in it.it would have been nice for u2 to have released something from the zootv shows in 92 .those were great shows and the band were fresh, rather than the sydney show which was at the end of a hard two years slog around the world in 93

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
Two words:

The Fly!  8)

Online singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »
It has to be Zoo TV - ground breaking and jaw droppingly watchable - what did Larry say about coming to watch TV at a concert. The total experience in my humble opinion!!

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
Maybe I shoulda thought twice before making this thread.  :D

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »
Hummm this is a tough one.  I saw Pop and it was AMAZING, but my brother in-law said ZOO TV blew him away. I think they are similar,(as far as the scale) but very different.  I love the music from both albums.  The only thing I felt I missed out on with the pop tour was missing MacPhisto.

The thing U2 does that continues to amaze me is they can have a HUGE stage and you still feel like you are in a small venue and they are singing to you.  They are masters at this.