ZOO TV v PopMart

ZOO TV
58 (74.4%)
PopMart
13 (16.7%)
Can't decide
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Better Tour? ZOO TV v PopMart  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
Re: Better Tour? ZOO TV v PopMart
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hummm this is a tough one.  I saw Pop and it was AMAZING, but my brother in-law said ZOO TV blew him away. I think they are similar,(as far as the scale) but very different.  I love the music from both albums.  The only thing I felt I missed out on with the pop tour was missing MacPhisto.

The thing U2 does that continues to amaze me is they can have a HUGE stage and you still feel like you are in a small venue and they are singing to you.  They are masters at this.

It's a different atmosphere... Absolutely watch ZooTV, too!  ;D

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
I'm going to buck the trend here.

POPMART.

Epic. Passionate. Beautiful. Funkier. Lemon-ier. Discotheque-ier. Crazy Bono. Cowboy Edge (That's MR. The Edge). And one song: Please.

(That said ... Dirty Day, played live during Zoo TV, kicks major butt.)

Boom Cha!

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »
I'm going to buck the trend here.

POPMART.

Epic. Passionate. Beautiful. Funkier. Lemon-ier. Discotheque-ier. Crazy Bono. Cowboy Edge (That's MR. The Edge). And one song: Please.

(That said ... Dirty Day, played live during Zoo TV, kicks major butt.)

Hazzah! Together you and I can spread the good of Popmart and.....ehh...what the hell am I talking about? I'm just gonna stop.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
I saw both tours and ZooTv blew Popmart away for me.  Although I did enjoy both.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
I missed PopMart due to work commitments  :'( one of my biggest regrets in life!
Managed 13 ZooTV shows (3 indoor, the rest outdoor) and preferred the intamacy of the indoor shows

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »
ZooTV pwns PopMart  ;D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
Well that solves verything, I may declare ZOOTV better than PopMart, no matter how many lemons and cowboy hats PopMart had.  :P

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
Well that solves verything, I may declare ZOOTV better than PopMart, no matter how many lemons and cowboy hats PopMart had.  :P

Vlad - did you attend any ZooTV shows? They were just mesmerising! I so wish I had caught PopMart - just once would have been good.

Revolver7

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »
There was nothing like Zoo TV before 1992, and there's been nothing like it since

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »

Vlad - did you attend any ZooTV shows? They were just mesmerising! I so wish I had caught PopMart - just once would have been good.

Nope, I was either far too young or not even born then.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:23 AM »
I went with Zoo TV because first of all, I got to see both the indoor leg as well as the Outside Broadcast. The indoor one was just so very new and had this B stage halfway down the floor with this little car hanging over it. It was basically like the outside one, except that everything was just squeezed in on a smaller scale. But it was all just so new and different.
Dude, Bono's in a silver suit and cowboy hat....and it sparkles and glitters!  8)

The Outside Broadcast was absolutely the best show that I've ever been to. Public Enemy opened up, and if that wasn't outright insane and awesome itself.
U2 came out and I thought I was going to be crushed to death. It was the coolest! I actually got myself to the front barrier between Adam and center. I didn't let go for the life of me. It wasn't even like I fought my way up....we all just got pushed and you couldn't even control where you went. People were flying over the front barrier - some conscious, and some not. It was actually hard to tell between the two.
But I held on to that barrier though! We all finally got a break when the band went way down to the B stage. Which was a lot farther away than it was for the indoor Zoo TV. After this concert, I was sore for a week!  :P

Pop Mart was great, but it wasn't general admission on the field level. And even though I had 5th row seats from the front, we all pretty much just stood there in front of our seats for the show, like good little boys.
....and no blood was drawn for this show either.  :o
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:07:05 AM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »
I went with Zoo TV because first of all, I got to see both the indoor leg as well as the Outside Broadcast. The indoor one was just so very new and had this B stage halfway down the floor with this little car hanging over it. It was basically like the outside one, except that everything was just squeezed in on a smaller scale. But it was all just so new and different.
Dude, Bono's in a silver suit and cowboy hat....and it sparkles and glitters!  8)

The Outside Broadcast was absolutely the best show that I've ever been to. Public Enemy opened up, and if that wasn't outright insane and awesome itself.
U2 came out and I thought I was going to be crushed to death. It was the coolest! I actually got myself to the front barrier between Adam and center. I didn't let go for the life of me. It wasn't even like I fought my way up....we all just got pushed and you couldn't even control where you went. People were flying over the front barrier - some conscious, and some not. It was actually hard to tell between the two.
But I held on to that barrier though! We all finally got a break when the band went way down to the B stage. Which was a lot farther away than it was for the indoor Zoo TV. After this concert, I was sore for a week!  :P

Pop Mart was great, but it wasn't general admission on the field level. And even though I had 5th row seats from the front, we all pretty much just stood there in front of our seats for the show, like good little boys.
....and no blood was drawn for this show either.  :o
Dude, I got the chills just reading that.  I want to see U2 live!

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 05:02:35 AM »
zoo tv

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »
Saw both but my vote has to go to ZooTV... 

I didn't manage to get any tickets for the '92 indoor leg in the UK, but saw two outdoor shows in '93.  The last night of ZooTV in the UK at the old Wembley stadium was an amazing night.  I have enjoyed all of the tours since but there was just something about ZooTV that made it special.

I am not sure if it was the new songs from Achtung Baby or perhaps just the whole transformation from the Joshua Tree & Lovetown tours.  Zoo Station  - what an opener!  I was really glad to see it return as the first song in the encore during the Vertigo tour.  Visually I think ZooTV worked better than PopMart, there is no doubt that the PopMart screen and lemon were impressive but I think the multi-screen setup in ZooTV worked much better.

Can't wait to see what they do on the next tour, the 360 idea sounds good.... whatever it is I am sure it will be amazing as usual.

Mark.

Offline spinningman

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
Having seen both, ZooTV wins by a mile.  Mainly because it was in support of a much better album.