Author Topic: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
I Just Listened To HTDAAB...
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
After sitting through NLOTH, and I was surprised by how much it got me out of my seat and jumping around. For most of NLOTH I was attentively sitting with my eyes closed paying attention to the subtle sonic details that I love about this album, and occasionally singing or bobbing along. For HTDAAB, however, from the moment Vertigo exploded out of my speakers I was on my feet and strumming my guitar along furiously. I had forgotten just how good that album sounded with the volume knob turned way up. All Because Of You in particular took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to headbang and play guitar as passionately as I did!

A Man And A Woman was still horrible though.

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
Re: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:12:52 AM »
I want to like HTDAAB. It has it moments of greatness for sure. I do hate the album cover though...

I just feel the second half of the album trails off y'know? I wish they'd stuck in 'Mercy' or 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever?' in there towards the end. It is a much more instant record than NLOTH. It does feature some tunes than make you want to pick up the guitar & play along.

A Man & A Woman is awesome. One of the best songs they've ever done. Seriously.

Offline Chas

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:28:13 AM »
I agree. I can see why A Man And A Woman gets criticism but imo it is a good song.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 02:10:56 AM »
Even Corbijn hates his image of the band for Bomb (if it was Corbijn's picture?).

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:14:06 AM »
Why did they use that image for the album cover though?

It makes no sense y'know? Some people may feel it's not important but I reckon an album cover can really change things...

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
It's just the 4.....sitting there.....with sunglasses.....on a bench.....

_

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
... And Edge looked like he was sleeping after a whole day of Bono taunting him "Edge is on fire, Edge is on fire, punk rock from VENUS!!11!1!1!!11111!!!!1!" and chasing him around with a fire extinguisher in hand, this led to Edge falling asleep in the covershoot with Adam left to impress viewers with his charming "Adam-ness".

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After sitting through NLOTH, and I was surprised by how much it got me out of my seat and jumping around. For most of NLOTH I was attentively sitting with my eyes closed paying attention to the subtle sonic details that I love about this album, and occasionally singing or bobbing along. For HTDAAB, however, from the moment Vertigo exploded out of my speakers I was on my feet and strumming my guitar along furiously. I had forgotten just how good that album sounded with the volume knob turned way up. All Because Of You in particular took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to headbang and play guitar as passionately as I did!

A Man And A Woman was still horrible though.

That song really gets bashed.  It has its moments.  Edge's background guitar is solid.  Yea the vocals aren't the best but the music in the chorus is good I think.  I'm really surprised at how much people bash this album on the boards.  I thought it was the closest thing to Boy they've ever produced.  Just a straight up Rock record.  That's what Lillywhite brings to the table.  With that said, the Lanois and Eno albums are my favorite (TUF, JT).

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »
Reason i dislike A Man And A Woman is that it feels like a substandard Sting song, and the lyrics as a whole just feel contrived and awfully mawkish to me. That said, "I could never take a chance/of losing love to find romance" is something I try to live my life by.

One Step Closer and Original of The Species in particular were exceptional tracks in the way they resonated with me. Those two tracks felt like the core of the album. In many respects Bomb is a mirror album to Boy. Those two tracks felt like Bono was singing to his 20 year old self, his voice wearied and cracked with age but still breaking through at times to shine with joy.

I do agree that Mercy should have been on the album. It could definitely have taken the place of AMAAW, or possibly Yahweh( a song that I like but which sounds like U2 didn't get the sonic aspect of it right.)

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »
HTDAAB is a heated wading pool, while NLOTH is a vast, cold ocean.  (NorCal folks, picture Santa Cruz.)  The latter has a lot more depth and is ultimately more rewarding, but it's easier to get your feet wet with the former.  That said, I feel like HTDAAB is quite possibly U2's weakest albums while NLOTH is definitely in the top four or five.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
I'm often surprised at how badly this album gets beaten up...not their best but jeez, does have some very high points.....the cover sucks.....

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
I definitely enjoy the album, even A Man and a Woman, but hate the cover.  I remember the first time I saw it, I was hoping beyond hope that it was a fake, just something that a fan put together to try and make everyone believe that was the cover.  I was wrong. 

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
I think HTDAAB is a great album and I like it because, much like War, it's one of those albums that gives me an instant burst of energy. That's what I love about U2: they have a song and album for any occasion. ;D

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
HTDAAB sits somewhere in the middle for me. When I first got it I loved it and I played the hell out of it. But it lost its novelty very quickly and now I barely listen at all. It has a few great songs, a few average songs, a few substandard songs, and a few horrible songs. And I don't understand why everyone hates the cover so much. It sort of has this 1980's Qwest Records feel to it in my opinion, cheesy yet classy at the same time. It's not one of their best, but it's not horrible either. Sort of like the album itself.

As a side note, am I the only one who thinks "Love And Peace Or Else" is absolutely amazing? Reminds me of "Exit" a little. Easily the best track on the album, but I never see anyone mention it. And speaking of often mentioned songs, "Original Of The Species" blows. I skip it pretty much every time.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »
HTDAAB has good songs. Really only two GREAT songs, COBL and SYCMIOYO. IMO  :)

But I can see why the majority don't. It's a bit superficial, I think.