Author Topic: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...  (Read 5949 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »
I have a bias towards HTDAAB simply because it was the first U2 album I ever really got into. That said, it's still probably in my top few- I realise I'm one of the only ones, but I'd stick it above 'Boy', 'October', 'Zooropa', 'Rattle and Hum', 'Pop', 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', maybe 'War'... I agree that the back few songs are weak, but 'Vertigo grips you from the start, 'Miracle Drug' and 'SYCMIOYO' are powerful songs (Particularly love the guitar in MD), and COBL is one of the best songs of the 2000s...  And a few others are pretty good- 'Love and Peace' and 'One Step Closer', for instance.

I'm a fan of the album all round.

shockdocta22

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »
The album cover is Ok for the song Sometimes you cant...but thats it.

For the album:

I enjoy every song, but feels incomplete to me, i dont know why everyone is so unfond of it

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For the album:

I enjoy every song, but feels incomplete to me, i dont know why everyone is so unfond of it
Because it's a crappy album. Two crappy albums and you're out huh Bono. Well it's actually three now Bono and you're still here.

shockdocta22

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »

For the album:

Because it's a crappy album. Two crappy albums and you're out huh Bono. Well it's actually three now Bono and you're still here.

Dude, the last 3 were good

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »

For the album:

You tell him, Shock! I fully agree.

Birdlover

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »
Hey Johnny shouldnt you be in your Depeche Mode thread? Theres a troll lurking in here.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
a really good album. U2, I think Bono has said that October was their worst cover art. But I'd give that title to HTDAAB. It's a really bad cover. Boring. And from the perspective of the photo, Larry looks like a really tiny guy. The only good thing about the cover art is it proves that a cover doesn't necessarily sell albums. ipod commercials do!

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
With No Line, I've gone back and listened to all the other U2 albums.  I even went back and listened to October, which I hadn't listened to in over a year--with the exception of maybe Gloria or I threw a brick...  The one album that I can't go back and listen to is (stink)bomb.  I don't know what it is about the album, but I hate it.  It's awful.  Super cheesy lyrics to go along with safe, boring music.  I hated it the first time I listened to it and I still hate it to this day.  I've changed my mind on other U2 albums like War and TUF, both of which I didn't like at first, but my opinion of (stink)bomb has not changed over these years.  The only saving grace is One Step Closer. 

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:41 AM »

For the album:

No they weren't.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 03:45:52 AM »
With No Line, I've gone back and listened to all the other U2 albums.  I even went back and listened to October, which I hadn't listened to in over a year--with the exception of maybe Gloria or I threw a brick...  The one album that I can't go back and listen to is (stink)bomb.  I don't know what it is about the album, but I hate it.  It's awful.  Super cheesy lyrics to go along with safe, boring music.  I hated it the first time I listened to it and I still hate it to this day.  I've changed my mind on other U2 albums like War and TUF, both of which I didn't like at first, but my opinion of (stink)bomb has not changed over these years.  The only saving grace is One Step Closer. 
War and TUF are great albums because U2 was on the roll and stayed there for many tears to come ending with pop after what they saw as a debacle )i sure don-t) they wanted their fans back and became afraid of taking risks and that killed them resulting in abominations and abortions like atyvlb BOMB and No line. believe me songs of ascent won't be any different. Another crap album and they're still here.
As an artist myself I know that you should never make any concessions it will kill your true art and you'll be staggering on trying to get that feeling back, You can only get it back by saying screw everybody. This is what I want to make I totally go to the bottom of your soul without caring what people have to say about it. Other wise it's better to pack it up before you embarrass yourself even more.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 07:47:21 AM »
Johnny Amsterdam if you don't like U2's newer work so be it, but don't act like they've crumbled as a band. They're still huge and making great music (the 2nd part is subjective, but many people share this view). They are still one of the biggest bands in the world and if you don't like them it's your problem, not theirs.

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »
I won't call HTDAAB my favourite U2 album, but I have to say that I might not have become a U2 fan without it. I'd heard a few of their songs on the radio; had checked 18 Singles out from the library, but it wasn't until I heard HTDAAB that I really started paying attention to U2's music. So slam it if you want—y'alls are entitled to opinions—but for me it will always have a special place in my heart. :)

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
Dismantle is not a horrible album but it feels like just the sum of its parts and falls into the bottom half for me in U2's catalog. 

As for the cover... There was a photo I remember (perhaps inside the HTDAAB booklet) that showed the band standing out in a desert/wasteland.  I with I had the album with me or could find the image, but it was very distinct and very fitting for the album cover.  If anyone knows what photo I'm talking about, what do you think?

... edit:  I just saw that it is the image on the back cover of the album.  That is the image that should have been on the front, or would have been a better image at least.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »
I'm really surprised at how much people bash this album on the boards.  I thought it was the closest thing to Boy they've ever produced.  Just a straight up Rock record. 

It doesn't have 10% of the enthusiasm of "Boy". Or the guts. Or the memorability. Really, the closer U2 have ever got to "Boy" is about 30% of the "October" album...

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
The album cover does reflect the sound of the album somewhat.

It's just too inconsistent. The second half of the record just doesn't take off y'know? I wish they'd kept the energy of Vertigo & Blinding Lights up. After ALYCLB, I felt they would rock out abit more & Vertigo was a good start (before it grew stale) but I was dissapointed with the rest of the album.