Author Topic: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...  (Read 5953 times)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The album cover is Ok for the song Sometimes you cant...but thats it.

For the album:

I enjoy every song, but feels incomplete to me, i dont know why everyone is so unfond of it
Because it's a crappy album. Two crappy albums and you're out huh Bono. Well it's actually three now Bono and you're still here.

Dude, the last 3 were good
No they weren't.

Yeah, but thats your opinion, doesn't actually make them bad. Troll.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »
I enjoy it. It's enjoyable. That's about it.

Nothing stands out save for a couple of tracks, and so much is forgettable - I can't imagine finding myself saying "I really want to hear One Step Closer, or A Man And A Woman" - It's not a bad album, it just doesn't stand up to the rest of U2's catalog. Maybe if they had put Mercy, or even Smile on there, It could've been a lot better.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
IMO, it stands up better than ATYCLB. Its a bit harder. The only songs I skip are Vertigo and A Man and a Woman. As for ATYCLB, I only like Beautiful Day, Kite, In a Little While, When I Look At The World, and New York. Walk On is still ok. However NLOTH blows both of them away. And its the album Ive been waiting for since Pop.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
HTDAAB is nothing amazing but its a decent U2 album. I'd say it has about 3 really good songs and the rest are good/ok.....with about 2 poor tracks. I never understood what some people saw in All Because of You...I thought that song was terrible. I'm fine with Man Woman and Original is one of my favourties. Like I said, nothing special, but I enjoy it for the most part for the type of album that it is.

Album cover? Yeah, weak.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »
War and TUF are great albums because U2 was on the roll and stayed there for many tears to come ending with pop after what they saw as a debacle )i sure don-t) they wanted their fans back and became afraid of taking risks and that killed them resulting in abominations and abortions like atyvlb BOMB and No line. believe me songs of ascent won't be any different. Another crap album and they're still here.
As an artist myself I know that you should never make any concessions it will kill your true art and you'll be staggering on trying to get that feeling back, You can only get it back by saying screw everybody. This is what I want to make I totally go to the bottom of your soul without caring what people have to say about it. Other wise it's better to pack it up before you embarrass yourself even more.
[/quote]

Here's a thought: so if what being an artist means staying true to yourself and not caring about what people think, why the f*** does your opinion matter in the first place? Because no one put guns to the heads of U2 and forced them to release ATYCLB, Bomb, and NLOTH. These were records the band released voluntarily and dedicated their hearts into. These records were written and created from the depths of their soul. If what U2 want to make is music for radio and for stadiums, why should your opinion matter?

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 03:50:20 AM »
War and TUF are great albums because U2 was on the roll and stayed there for many tears to come ending with pop after what they saw as a debacle )i sure don-t) they wanted their fans back and became afraid of taking risks and that killed them resulting in abominations and abortions like atyvlb BOMB and No line. believe me songs of ascent won't be any different. Another crap album and they're still here.
As an artist myself I know that you should never make any concessions it will kill your true art and you'll be staggering on trying to get that feeling back, You can only get it back by saying screw everybody. This is what I want to make I totally go to the bottom of your soul without caring what people have to say about it. Other wise it's better to pack it up before you embarrass yourself even more.

Here's a thought: so if what being an artist means staying true to yourself and not caring about what people think, why the f*** does your opinion matter in the first place? Because no one put guns to the heads of U2 and forced them to release ATYCLB, Bomb, and NLOTH. These were records the band released voluntarily and dedicated their hearts into. These records were written and created from the depths of their soul. If what U2 want to make is music for radio and for stadiums, why should your opinion matter?
[/quote]Yeah right. It had nothing to do with freaking out after POP "failed" and not selling well.? It had nothing to do with wanting their fans back? They sold out after pop and have been creatively struggling ever since.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 03:53:30 AM »
Just don't.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 06:27:35 AM »
What I don't really understand is the people who can't stand Bomb.  They complain and complain but 1, they are still fans (they're on the boards so obviously), and 2, they probably shelled out $50-100 to see the Vertigo tour.  Everyone can have their opinions, but if you hate the last 3 albums so much, stick to the 80s material and stop listening to the new material.  It's not the end of the world.  That happened with me and REM.  I loved everything up until Up.  Hifi was good but the sound was gone.  So I don't buy the new material. End of story.  My thoughts on Bomb are that it is a good album.  It's probably the closest to Boy we've seen after War.  A straight out rock record.  And the tour was very good.  Even songs like Crumbs took on a new persona live.  I don't know...at the rate this thread is filled with complaints of the last 3 albums, why not split? If I hated the last 3, I'd stick with the old stuff and stop buying or seeing the new stuff.  Easy solution no?

Offline Jazz

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »
What I don't really understand is the people who can't stand Bomb.  They complain and complain but 1, they are still fans (they're on the boards so obviously), and 2, they probably shelled out $50-100 to see the Vertigo tour.  Everyone can have their opinions, but if you hate the last 3 albums so much, stick to the 80s material and stop listening to the new material.  It's not the end of the world.  That happened with me and REM.  I loved everything up until Up.  Hifi was good but the sound was gone.  So I don't buy the new material. End of story.  My thoughts on Bomb are that it is a good album.  It's probably the closest to Boy we've seen after War.  A straight out rock record.  And the tour was very good.  Even songs like Crumbs took on a new persona live.  I don't know...at the rate this thread is filled with complaints of the last 3 albums, why not split? If I hated the last 3, I'd stick with the old stuff and stop buying or seeing the new stuff.  Easy solution no?

It is an easy solution but that would mean no one would have anything to moan about on here!

I don't like HDDAAB but think Sometimes You Can't make it more than makes up for the rest of it...

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:25 AM »
Good point Jazz. It's almost like the people who constantly complain about their jobs.  Go get a new job then!  :P

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 06:40:40 AM »

Well, maybe not quite so easy. I mean, for some people, if you really, really loved their old stuff, you may constantly tell yourself that the new stuff must be getting better- maybe 'this' will be the album where it turns around. At the very least, maybe there'll be a few good songs in there? And as for the tour, well, it's not as though they play only new material, and lots of songs are FAR better live than the recorded versions.

So basically, while I agree your solution would work in principle, I can see why the Bomb-haters are still buying and still complaining.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:13 AM »
Well, maybe not quite so easy. I mean, for some people, if you really, really loved their old stuff, you may constantly tell yourself that the new stuff must be getting better- maybe 'this' will be the album where it turns around. At the very least, maybe there'll be a few good songs in there? And as for the tour, well, it's not as though they play only new material, and lots of songs are FAR better live than the recorded versions.

So basically, while I agree your solution would work in principle, I can see why the Bomb-haters are still buying and still complaining.
[/quote]

Keep in mind though most of the Bomb haters also dislike NLOTH and ATYCLB.  That's almost 10 years of material that is going to make up a majority of 360's setlist.  Their songs definitely take off live, but if those 3 albums are so bad, even live performances can't add value.  I'm a bad example though.  Even though Zooropa and Pop weren't my ideal U2 outing, I still listen to them.  It's freakin' U2!  8)

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »

Let's try and separate different things here. The number of people on this forum that hate all the 3 last albums is very very diminute. Just 2 or 3, as far as I can tell. These people probably have no better way of spending their time...

99% of the people who don't like "Bomb" (my case) seem to like NLOTH, so they have good reasons to remain fans.

Then there's also the few people who don't like NLOTH but who like "Bomb". Those people still have good reasons to remain fans, since it's probably not very reasonable to start hating a band just because one single album does not conform to their expectations...

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 07:23:07 AM »
Keep in mind though most of the Bomb haters also dislike NLOTH and ATYCLB. 

This really seems to be false, if the recent discussions and polls on the forum are anything to go by.

Offline ThatStutterSound

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »
Bomb stunk for the most part. The crappy cover art was appropriate: distracted, thrown-together. I honestly can't recall many of the songs on that record, but I will say Love and Peace and Vertigo were cool live.