Author Topic: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
Re: I Just Listened To HTDAAB...
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
Yeah right. It had nothing to do with freaking out after POP "failed" and not selling well.? It had nothing to do with wanting their fans back? They sold out after pop and have been creatively struggling ever since.

I don't understand where you're coming from at all. How exactly did U2 "sell out"? Bono and gang have all stated repeatedly in several interviews that by the time of Pop they were all already disillusioned with the electronica experimentation and missed the feeling of playing together in a room. Their artistic intentions after Pop were to return to rock and roll and music for the soul, which they did. Doing otherwise would have been a betrayal of their artistic selves.

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah right. It had nothing to do with freaking out after POP "failed" and not selling well.? It had nothing to do with wanting their fans back? They sold out after pop and have been creatively struggling ever since.

I don't understand where you're coming from at all. How exactly did U2 "sell out"? Bono and gang have all stated repeatedly in several interviews that by the time of Pop they were all already disillusioned with the electronica experimentation and missed the feeling of playing together in a room. Their artistic intentions after Pop were to return to rock and roll and music for the soul, which they did. Doing otherwise would have been a betrayal of their artistic selves.

I would say that all the way up to Pop, U2 was challenging themselves and coming up with new sounds.  After Pop, their music sounded safe, boring and crappy--just my opinion.  The one thing I loved about U2 was how they always came up with a new sound with every album.  The last two albums (and a chunk of No Line) sounds safe.  Sorry I can't come up with a better word to describe their new music, but it's either safe/boring.  I like to call it Eric and Kathy music--for those who are in Chicago and listen to the crappy Mix radio station.  Even with the new album, the band still felt that they had to include "radio-friendly" hits to make sure they would get an audience.  I think I read an Eno article about how he wanted to push the band a little further, but the band was reluctant.  I could be wrong and I don't have a way of knowing this, but I don't think the band was thinking "hey, let's come up with some radio hits" when they were creating Zooropa or Pop.  I'm sure they've always wanted to be the biggest band in the world, but they've changed their way of accomplishing that feat after Pop. 

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
Geez. They could of put an unpeeled, over ripened banana as the album cover & it wouldn't of made a difference to me. & I don't think Pop or anything else "failed". Who cares about statistics or what the majority thinks. If we all took popularity or sales into account as the gospel, we'd all be on a Miley Cyrus forum or something right now.

jimyjazz

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
I love All That, am so-so on No line and hate Bomb.  It's painfully MOR and all the songs have an awful part that doesn't fit.  The "rocking out" is lame and forced and they lyrics are awful.  The alternate versions are really good though - it could have been awesome.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
If we all took popularity or sales into account as the gospel, we'd all be on a Miley Cyrus forum or something right now.

...Some things shouldn't even be joked about...

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
I really don't get all the Bomb bashing either.  While the cover photo's a bit uninspired, I still really like the font used and the hash marks and targets used in the imagery.  I like how there are consistant themes and colors used throughout the singles and peripheral releases.  ATYCLB was really good for this as well.
As far as the album itself is concerned, I think it's full of amazingly well-crafted (although not particularly bold) music.  People say that if they want to be true as artists, they need to follow where their muse takes them.  Well, U2 have been very honest since the beginning in saying that one of their goals as musicians was to be the biggest band in the world.  Just because they weren't making Pop or Zooropa part 2 didn't mean they weren't following their creative muses.  The people who complain about them going on a new track with ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb are just as bad as the folks who think they never should have gone down the Achtung/Zooropa/Pop path. 
The Vertigo tour, apart from having some fantastic pop culture visuals and those amazing bead curtains, probably had the best setlists of any tour they've ever had, especially the first leg.  Each show was about 1/3 songs off Atomic Bomb, 1/3 greatest hits songs, and 1/3 deeper cuts.  As someone who got into U2 during Pop, I NEVER thought I'd get to hear Zoo Station, the Ocean, Gloria, or An Cat Dubh live.  I got to during Vertigo.
Lastly, and most importantly, are the songs on the album.  Vertigo is an energetic masterpiece that takes what Elevation did to the next level and puts Boots to shame.  Miracle Drug's got kinda weak verses but the chorus feels like what Crazy Tonight was trying to be.  The bridge is amazing, especially when Edge's vocals transfer over to Bono's final chorus.  Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.  Between Bono's lyrics and Edge's frozen and fragile guitars, it's probably in the top 3 or 4 ballads the band has ever done, IMO.  Love and Peace or Else has an awesome, grumbling, menacing opening and the overall vibe of the song, the threat of love, is something I don't think any other band can pull off.  City Of Blinding Lights is my favorite U2 song ever, and its cascading opening gets me going as much as Streets' does.  The last verse is one of the best Bono has ever written.  This song wraps up all the hope and ambition and glory U2 has ever had.  All Because of You, apart from being a tongue-in-cheek hoot, is a bit of a tribute to the Who.  I've found the song makes a lot more sense, musically, if you consider that.  A Man And A Woman is a cheesy love song, the kind which I'm glad U2 avoids most of the time.  The verses have some great lyrics, though, and I love seeing how often I can match the falsettos.  Crumbs From Your Table has some of the most sarcastic, biting lyrics Bono's ever written and sits well with Actung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop in that respect.  One Step Closer, in my opinion, is a sibling song to The First Time, and not just because they're musically similar.  However, whereas The First Time is about a person resonding to crises in the world around him, One Step Closer is about someone responding to internal crises.  Original Of The Species gets so close to the cheese line but masterfully never quite hits it.  Those choruses make me want to sing along every single time I hear it and Edge's got some absolutely beautiful moments.  The single mix is better than the album mix, though.  Yahweh's a bit too Jesusy for me but it's still like a big white train chugging through a beautiful, green landscape for me.  There's a very Joshua Tree-esque majesty to it and the U23D visuals for it were one of the best parts of the whole film. 
Is it their deepest album?  Nope.  Is it their most accesible album?  Nope.  Is it their most adventurous album?  Nope.  However, it's where U2 were at at the time, it's got some of their most well-crafted music ever, it had a bitching tour to go along with it, and it's one of the three U2 albums that I'd say is completely balanced from the first half to the second.  The other two are Boy and Achtung Baby.  Like I said before, if you don't like ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb because they were a departure from Pop, how are you any different from the people who didn't like Achtung Baby and Zooropa because they were a departure from the Joshua Tree?  Just because the band went from an innovative, intelligent strength to a designed, detail-styled strength doesn't mean they weren't going from strength to strength.   

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
NLOTH is not Eric and Kathy music. Maybe Crazy or Stand Up Comedy. But I dont see NLOTH, Fez, UC, being played on their station. I have heard Fez on WXRT. I dont know what you listen to, but if its 101.9 and Eric/Kathy I feel for you. Either way, radio just sucks nowadays in the US. And what defines a song as "radio friendly?" Ive heard Zooropa and Wild Horses on the radio before. And many consider them unfriendly radio tunes. So dont use the excuse that U2 got soft, or included radio hits on the album. Thats just a weak argument, IMO.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
I'm often surprised at how badly this album gets beaten up...not their best but jeez, does have some very high points.....the cover sucks.....

Yeah, it isn't that bad!? I mean things could...potentially get worse. But seriously it wasn't that bad. OK!?!?!?!?!?!?! 8)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »
If we're talking about radio play, it's not surprising for me to hear I Will Follow, Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, I Still Haven't Found, With Or Without You, Streets, In God's Country, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town, Desire, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Numb, Lemon, Discotheque, Sweetest Thing, Walk On, Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, In A Little While, Vertigo, All Because Of You, Sometimes You Can't, Original Of The Species, The Saints Are Coming, and Window In The Skies on the radio stations in the Portland metro area.  Some more than others, of course, but they still all get play.  What radio stations will and will not play is hardly a good standard.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »
and you survived?
 :D just kidding.

Offline Jazz

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2009, 04:03:57 AM »
I'm often surprised at how badly this album gets beaten up...not their best but jeez, does have some very high points.....the cover sucks.....

Yeah, it isn't that bad!? I mean things could...potentially get worse. But seriously it wasn't that bad. OK!?!?!?!?!?!?! 8)

The cover? I think it's one of the better things about the album!

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »
To be honest I hope I never hear that album again as long as I live.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »

Who's gonna force you to? if you hate it so much chuck it out the window.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2009, 08:56:43 AM »

To be honest I'd like to never see another post from you for as long as I live.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

Do you admit listening to it in the afterlife, then?