Author Topic: Are Zooropa and POP Long Lost Twins?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
Are Zooropa and POP Long Lost Twins?
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »
I think that these are very intertwined, mix and match. Zooropa is viewed as creatively different, innovative sound etc....POP is crucified (except by the POP lovers on here) in general.WHY is this the case? 

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
Re: Are Zooropa and POP Long Lost Twins?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »
I agree with you they're alike, only POP is much better.

"Zooropa" is loved because it got a Grammy (to make it up for "Achtung Baby" not getting it).
POP is hated because the opening night of the tour from Las Vegas was aired live on ABC.
People would obviously rather believe that the album sucked than that U2 didn't reahearse enough.

Or you can blame it all on Village People and Al Jolson...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:31:10 AM by dragmio »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »
I love both albums, but I do NOT love Zooropa because it won a Grammy.

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »
Well, you love them both, you're not a relevant specimen.  ;)

We need those who love "Zooropa" and hate POP. Those who do that, do it because of hype.
And the causes of the hype were as I said.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:00:20 AM »
I think it's funny how many loved Hold Me,Thrill Me.....then said what is this POP rubbish? As if they couldn't see the progression coming....AB...Zooropa....Hold Me(single)...POP...I love'em all.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »
I dislike Zooropa quite a lot, as it contains many of my least favourite U2 songs. It's probably the only U2 album which I would consider not putting on my iPod even for a moment.

Pop on the other hand has the insanely camp, joyous, mindless brilliance of 'Discotheque', the rhythmic intensity of 'Do You Feel Loved?' the the incredibly unique opening of 'Mofo', the underspoken passion of 'And if God will send his Angels'. I admit that the back half of Pop ranges from the mediocre to the poor, but still, the front half prevents it from being anywhere near as bad as some people like to say.

I say this as someone who used to hate Pop- and indeed, saw Discotheque as emblematic as all that was wrong with it- but has grown to appreciate it steadily more and more.

So I'd say no, on the basis that I far prefer Pop to Zooropa. :P

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dislike Zooropa quite a lot, as it contains many of my least favourite U2 songs. It's probably the only U2 album which I would consider not putting on my iPod even for a moment.

Pop on the other hand has the insanely camp, joyous, mindless brilliance of 'Discotheque', the rhythmic intensity of 'Do You Feel Loved?' the the incredibly unique opening of 'Mofo', the underspoken passion of 'And if God will send his Angels'. I admit that the back half of Pop ranges from the mediocre to the poor, but still, the front half prevents it from being anywhere near as bad as some people like to say.

I say this as someone who used to hate Pop- and indeed, saw Discotheque as emblematic as all that was wrong with it- but has grown to appreciate it steadily more and more.

So I'd say no, on the basis that I far prefer Pop to Zooropa. :P
I realize some prefer one over the other...but if you "shuffled" both together, most songs would still fit together.