Author Topic: Songs from NLOTH that will NOT be played this tour?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Shug

• Babyface
Songs from NLOTH that will NOT be played this tour?
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »
Its beyond obvious that Boots, Magnificent, Breathe, and Crazy Tonight will be regulars in the setlists this tour, but of the other songs which do you think will NOT be played?

I'm guessing we won't hear Cedars of Lebanon, FEZ-Being Born, or White As Snow.  White As Snow could possibly be included as an Edge and Bono acoustic moment, but I'm not betting on it.  I know lots of folks really like FEZ, but it would be a bold and arty move to play it live.  It also could have potential to really come to life played live in a big stadium.

I think Moment of Surrender is almost sure to be played most nights.

I think its pretty likely to hear No Line On The Horizon.

I think Unknown Caller and Stand Up Comedy might be played, but I'm not as sure.  I'd love to hear Unknown Caller, its got just monster riffing from Edge, probably the best guitar song on the record, IMO.  It could be huge played in a stadium at concert levels!

Last tour I was really looking forward to hearing Crumbs From Your Table and was pretty surprised and disappointed when it was only played a handful of times on the last US leg of the tour.  Also was surprised they played Love and Peace or Else (not a favorite of mine), so what do I know?

How many songs from NLOTH do you think will be played?  I'm guessing six or seven.

Mysterious Ways

Re: Songs from NLOTH that will NOT be played this tour?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »
White as Snow, Cedars and I'll go out on a limb and say Moment of Surrender. Stand Up Comedy and Being Born won't be played every night, if at all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:52:58 AM by Mysterious Ways »

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
1. NLOTH-title track so yes
2. Magnificent-YES
3. MOS-Some nights
4. UC-Yes (didnt Bono say he wants the crowd to shout out the commands?, inferring it will be played)
5. Crazy Tonight- YES
6. Boots- YES
7. SUC-Maybe some nights
8. Fez- Probably not (maybe a snippet or two)
9. WAS- I would love it but no
10. Breathe- YES
11. Cedars-No

I think 5 definites, 3 maybes, 1 outside possibility, and 2 no's

Offline spiriva21

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
They should drop Boots from the setlist.  Boots was a bust on the radio and Grammy's in the US and decreased ticket demand for the tour.  If the first single was Magnificent or Breathe tickets would have been much tougher to get in major markets and second shows added would have been an immediate sellout.  The song just doesn't have it and I think even now after the initial performances it seems very forced.  I hope I am wrong but they are playing huge stadiums and that song in my opinion doesn't deserve a spot in the setlist.  If they play it, I hope it will be later in the set so I can use the restroom and get a beer.  Any other song on the album will be great, WAS and COL might be a tough sell in US stadiums, but what make U2 so great is U2 live.  So we will wait and see..... 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »
I think Fez will be the intro either to the show or the 2nd half...

If for no other reason that it might stop people posting "what is that song they walk on to at the start of the Vertigo shows? you know, it goes WHOAAA OHHHH WHOA OHH OHH OHH OHHHHHHHHHH"

I think the won't play White as Snow, Stand Up Comedy (good) & Cedars of Lebanon.

I think Unknown Caller they will try early on in the tour, discover they can't do it justice, then drop it. Although the 'whooooaaaaa's are made for a singalong, I think it won't work.

I think the dead certs are Magnificent, Boots, and Breathe.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
I saw some videos in the BBC Radio 1 gig (not rooftop) on Youtube and spotted someone playing the keyboards behind the speaker stacks during Magnificent. Fez seems likely to be played if this is the case.

To be honest the one song I don't want them to play is Stand Up Comedy - to me it feels like a second rate All Because of You  :-\

Offline TheHype

• Babyface
  • No spoken words, just a scream
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:38:06 AM »
I thought White as Snow was supposed to close the shows and replace '40'

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't think that would work - personally, I don't think it would work as a good closer since it doesn't have "it" if you know what I mean.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »

I would be fine with either closing my Gillette shows.  Maybe WAS on the 1st night and 40 on the 2nd night

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
The way Kite closed the Aus/NZ shows for Vertigo made me not even miss 40. I know. It's heresy.

But I'm hoping to see 40 in the US, White as Snow as a closer... naaaaaaaaaah

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:47:27 AM »
I saw some videos in the BBC Radio 1 gig (not rooftop) on Youtube and spotted someone playing the keyboards behind the speaker stacks during Magnificent. Fez seems likely to be played if this is the case.

To be honest the one song I don't want them to play is Stand Up Comedy - to me it feels like a second rate All Because of You  :-\

Terry Lawless plays keyboards on several U2 albums and I believe typically accompanies the band on tour where he plays from some location offstage. Personally I hope they pull him up with the band to play the organ on Unknown Caller. For the subdued ambient stuff he usually adds to the mix it's fine to keep him offstage, but unless they really retool the song for the tour those keyboards add so much to that song.

And... pshshshshssshaahhh!  I think Stand Up Comedy more closely parallels Love & Peace Or Else than it does All Because of You. But... second rate, really? :( I think this song will grow major legs while on tour and become a setlist staple - maybe even replacing Bullet the Blue Sky!

I actually think there's a pretty good chance that during the course of the year they'll play all the songs from this album. Even WAS and COL would be nice to hear during an acoustic set.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »

Terry Lawless plays keyboards on several U2 albums and I believe typically accompanies the band on tour where he plays from some location offstage. Personally I hope they pull him up with the band to play the organ on Unknown Caller. For the subdued ambient stuff he usually adds to the mix it's fine to keep him offstage, but unless they really retool the song for the tour those keyboards add so much to that song.

And... pshshshshssshaahhh!  I think Stand Up Comedy more closely parallels Love & Peace Or Else than it does All Because of You. But... second rate, really? :( I think this song will grow major legs while on tour and become a setlist staple - maybe even replacing Bullet the Blue Sky!

I actually think there's a pretty good chance that during the course of the year they'll play all the songs from this album. Even WAS and COL would be nice to hear during an acoustic set.

May need a lot more time with Stand Up  :P As for Bullet? I think it needs to take a break for a while - the really long Bono antics doesn't help in my opinion. But if they bring back the Joshua Tree/Zoo TV style Bullet, then I'll be a happy person  :)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »
They better play White As Snow and Stand Up Comedy  :P!!!!  I won't be too happy if they don't! ;)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
They better play White As Snow and Stand Up Comedy  :P!!!!  I won't be too happy if they don't! ;)

:D :D :D

No-one wants a strong woman to be angry  ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:24:54 PM »

:D :D :D

No-one wants a strong woman to be angry  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D!  Thanks a latte my friend Nielsen!