Author Topic: Double Album?  (Read 9879 times)

Revolver7

Re: Double Album?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »
But what if it was a double album with all gems?  ;D

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 07:39:31 AM »
Amazing.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 10:28:59 AM »
I bet that some of the "extra tracks" will be released through (Red) Wire.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 03:29:23 PM »
No band is good enough to release a double full of gems. The Beatles 'White Album' had ten songs too many. Mind you that was 30 songs.

All the 'Rick Rubin' work was shelved. They have'nt been working with Eno and Lanois long enough to release a double. The best I'm hopeing for is 14-16 songs over 70 minutes. Out of these, 10 of them will be gems.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No band is good enough to release a double full of gems. The Beatles 'White Album' had ten songs too many. Mind you that was 30 songs.

All the 'Rick Rubin' work was shelved. They have'nt been working with Eno and Lanois long enough to release a double. The best I'm hopeing for is 14-16 songs over 70 minutes. Out of these, 10 of them will be gems.
I am hoping for a good solid album with 11-12 songs that they use, 9-10 of which will be gems and 1-2 which will be coal (otherwise what will we discuss in the forum?).  I am also hoping that there are enough "leftovers" to put out an EP about 8 months later (NOT a 1/2-a$$ed studio followup), with 3-4 additional songs, 1-3 remixes and 3-4 live cuts (like they did with U2 7, just with some live stuff).

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 07:43:58 PM »
They've written about 50-60 songs so after a 12-song album (i'd like a 14 song album) a year later they could release another one from left over and brand new material.  :)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 09:13:18 PM »
Possibly, but only if it is good stuff.

If past albums are any indications, many of those evolve into other ones (Always -> Beautiful Day, etc.).  I think they pulled out 50-60 rocks and are sorting through them for the gems.  Currently, they are carving the gems to find the best possible diamonds (at least I hope so).  I don't think there are 2 albums worth of gems (I'd love to be proven wrong), but I can optimistically hope for an amazing album and an EP of decent "also-rans" with some remixes and some live cuts.  It would be great to get 2 good albums out of this, but I think they tend to be pretty selective in what makes the cut.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
I'd like to be able to download a good number of b-sides when the album's released. None of this hiding them in a secret folder nonsense!

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
I'd like to be able to download a good number of b-sides when the album's released. None of this hiding them in a secret folder nonsense!
Secret folder?

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »
I've never got into EP's. I bought 'Coldplay's' latest and it's just inferior versions of songs from 'Viva La Vida' or songs that were'nt good enough for it.

It's a nice dream having U2 release an album in early 09 and then another one in 12 months. But that will never happen. They only did that once in 93. U2 take so long making albums, the leftover songs from these Eno/Lanois sessions will probably be binned and they'll start all over again. They won't go back to the Rubin sessions as they have already said they did'nt think the end product was good enough. That's why I'm hopeing the new album will be 70 minutes worth of good material.

Offline u2search

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
I totally disagree. U2 never 'bin' songs, they always come back to good parts and rework them. So many songs are built on leftover riffs or drum sounds or whatever from previous sessions.

And the Rubin songs have been 'shelved', not discarded, for eventual later use. Edge said they will probably see the light of day some day.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
Whether they go back to old songs or not, it will no doubt be 3, 4 or 5 years before we get a follow up. But I hope I'm wrong.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
...And the Rubin songs have been 'shelved', not discarded, for eventual later use. Edge said they will probably see the light of day some day.

The remastered No Line on the Horizon.  ;D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
Released after the HTDAAB remasters.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »
I doubt they will remaster Pop- more of a complete makeover of Pop  :P