Author Topic: Double Album?  (Read 9729 times)

Revolver7

Re: Double Album?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 02:52:53 PM »
I hope we don't have to wait 3, 4, or 5 years for another album...

If U2 really did hit a song writing vein, then they "should" be able to release another album soon enough..or at least, I hope they would... :-\

I think if U2 is reinventing Rock N' Roll, like they say they are, then they shouldn't leave us hanging that long. If they are pioneering a new frontier, then they shouldn't stop until they reach the top of the mountain 

Boom Cha!

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope we don't have to wait 3, 4, or 5 years for another album...

If U2 really did hit a song writing vein, then they "should" be able to release another album soon enough..or at least, I hope they would... :-\

I think if U2 is reinventing Rock N' Roll, like they say they are, then they shouldn't leave us hanging that long. If they are pioneering a new frontier, then they shouldn't stop until they reach the top of the mountain 

Don't worry Revolver7. Let's just enjoy this upcoming album before we start thinking about their 13th studio album.  ;D

Revolver7

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
Yeah...I guess you're right  :D

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 10:26:38 AM »
The problem is they will annonce an 18 month world tour next year. That will no doubt get extended to two years when they add on extra dates. Then they will take some time off before even thinking about recording a new album. The actual recording will take 1-2 two years.

They could do another 'Rattle & Hum' double type album while touring. Then they would only have to record about 10 new songs. Or they could record a shorter single 'Zooropa' type album while touring. However Paul Mcguinness said in 2003 that all future U2 albums will be 'big statement' albums as they are now too big to release anything else. This sort of rules out a quickie, lesser follow up. It must be physically and mentally demanding touring and recording at the same time. Their a lot older than in 1988 and 1993 & have wives and kids to think about. However if there is a vast amount of leftover material from the last couple of years, who knows. Surprise us !

Let's wait and see how many songs are on 'No line'. If there are 15 - 20 quality songs I won't be complaing about another long wait. There are plenty of other good groups to listen to.

Offline rager1969

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
They could do another 'Rattle & Hum' double type album while touring. Then they would only have to record about 10 new songs. Or they could record a shorter single 'Zooropa' type album while touring. However Paul Mcguinness said in 2003 that all future U2 albums will be 'big statement' albums as they are now too big to release anything else. This sort of rules out a quickie, lesser follow up.

I think a more obvious option is to release yet another compilation album with some new songs (I hope not).  U2 can and usually do whatever they feel like, including breaking their own rules, such as (paraphrasing Paul McGuinness) "going forward, U2 will not plan tours to support albums - whichever album is out at the time, that's what we'll play".  That was kinda true for Love Town and Zooropa, but then they reverted to the normal album/tour paradigm with Pop.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:50 PM »
The other problem with releasing a quickie follow up is Bono's other activities. The other band members have said they often have to wait for him. It seems like Bono & Edge will be spending next year on the new 'Spiderman' musical. This sort of rules out a quickie follow up. I'm not getting excited about new songs on 'B' sides being released. My experience is the 'B' sides are 'B' sides because they were'nt good enough for the album.

Seems like we were all being a bit optimistic hopeing for a double. Eleven songs is only one more than Z and less than Pop & AB. I hope the quotes that are coming out about it being their 'best ever' are true.

Offline Māris

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 12:30:07 AM »
I think at first they will release something like "The best of 2000-2010" with 1 or 2 new songs and only then think about new album :/

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »
I think at first they will release something like "The best of 2000-2010" with 1 or 2 new songs and only then think about new album :/

What's the point though - they already have U218 and Best of 1990-2000  ???

Offline Māris

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 04:47:24 AM »

What's the point though - they already have U218 and Best of 1990-2000  ???

If they released "best of 1980-1990" and "best of 1990-2000", then it's obvious they will release another best of - "2000-2010" ;] Of course, in this decade they do not have that many songs as in 80s or 90s, but...

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »
With Bono and Edge working on Spiderman. A massive world tour , promotional duties of the new album, families & Bono's campaigns I can't see how they could fit in another album in the next couple of years.

However maybe they have already made another album. It's made, mixed and on disc, ready to be released when the time is right. No doubt in a year's time to add juice to their tour. They did say they had 50 songs at one point. Or perhaps the Rubin stuff just needs to be mixed and released. Mixing is something the band don't need to get involved  with too much.

Releasing a best of 2000-2010 will be strange considering they may have only released two albums in this period. But at least they could put a couple of new songs on this.

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 09:19:03 AM »
In my experience, the number of songs written prior to an album can be deceptive.  Jon Foreman, the principle songwriter in the band Switchfoot (which is heavily influenced by U2 coincidentally) always has 50-100 songs written, but of those only about 20 or so get recorded and only about 12 end up on the album.  With U2, things could much be the same way...you can write a lot of songs, but in the end you've got to boil it down to the quality ones, with the second tier becoming the b-sides and the third tier not even getting recorded.

Still, a mid-tour Zooropa-esqe album would be awesome.

Offline irishru2

• Babyface
  • That's someone's stuff they're blowing up...
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
Releasing a best of 2000-2010 will be strange considering they may have only released two albums in this period.

I'll bet they throw in Elevation and Walk On, as they were both 2001 releases.  (Beautiful Day and Stuck in a Moment were on 90-00.)  Add in Dismantle and Horizon, two new singles, and that will be plenty for them to justify a Best of 2000-2010.  I just wish they would wait longer to do it - say after 2015.  Let the songs settle a little, you know?

Personally, in the short term, I'd love to seem them release Horizon as a regular album, tour, then take some time to go back to some of their other songs in the works and release a followup album - they wouldn't even have to to tour for it - or it could be integrated with a subsequent leg - the Zooropa model. 

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 01:43:30 AM »
With Bono and Edge working on Spiderman. A massive world tour , promotional duties of the new album, families & Bono's campaigns I can't see how they could fit in another album in the next couple of years.

However maybe they have already made another album. It's made, mixed and on disc, ready to be released when the time is right. No doubt in a year's time to add juice to their tour. They did say they had 50 songs at one point. Or perhaps the Rubin stuff just needs to be mixed and released. Mixing is something the band don't need to get involved  with too much.

Releasing a best of 2000-2010 will be strange considering they may have only released two albums in this period. But at least they could put a couple of new songs on this.

But they did write 50-60 songs - that's enough for 4 or 5 albums considering each album is 11 or 12 tracks. But they usually rework the songs so it does give it  the air of uncertainty.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 03:31:09 AM »
On the supposed 2000-2010 album I think they should throw in some tracks not released as a single but on an album, i'd say Kite, Miracle Drug etc.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 08:07:27 AM »
Making a great double is one of the few things U2 have'nt achieved. The Beatles made 'The White Album' and the Stones made 'Excile'. Thought U2 may have wanted their own great double on file.