Author Topic: Live Aid - What if it never happened ?  (Read 4730 times)

daveyg

Re: Live Aid - What if it never happened ?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 06:03:42 AM »
On a lighter note - What if Live Aid never happened?

I wouldn't have a DVD snapshot of all my favourite artists when I was 12. I have no other DVD that captures a part of my life in one single box.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 07:27:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the idea of self-promotion is something new and a product of the time we are in now so pretty irrelevant to Live Aid , in 1985 things were a bit more genuine. All the bands that were on the bill at Live Aid were asked to perform. It was a first, a unique ground breaking concert and for a cause that gripped millions of people around the world thanks to Sir Bob.
 ALL the greatest performers of that era were there.

That sentence is easily proved wrong by mentioning a few well known great bands/artists of that era that weren't there:

Talking Heads
Echo & The Bunnymen
The Waterboys
The Cure
Kate Bush
R.E.M.
Nick Cave

daveyg

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 07:29:48 AM »
Kate Bush!! *shiver* Strangely I never took to her.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:05 AM »

thats not a strange thing its a good thing

daveyg

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »

thats not a strange thing its a good thing

hehehe. I had a happy childhood. Till Kate Bush came along. Running up a hill or Patruckia went though me like a sharp night - something that I kept with as an adult! :)

Bobo

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »
If it never happened, U2 would never be as big with the Joshua Tree and would not need to reinvent themselves with Achtung Baby.  And we would never hear a mess that was POP.

Cheers,

J

OMG Jick, I now see the truth about your POP digs, somehow you find a way to attack POP in almost every post you make. Why don't you just add it to your signature...like this.

POP Sucks....

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
Let's be honest about Live Aid for a second.

First off, I was THRILLED when the DVD came out, that was a great day overall with some wonderful moments, but for the most part the performances were not very good.

Queen was the exception, the STOLE the day, U2's performance was kind of botched but was very dramatic and thus it is memorable for that reason.

As for U2, it was Bono calls for a crowd member to be pulled out to do his 'dance with the audience member' bit (he had been doing something similar on quite a few dates on that tour).

His chosen partners were pulled out, but the 'idiot' security guys took them away, you can see Bono point after them as they are whisked away. So he leaps down, pulls another girl out, dances, goes back up to the stage and who is there ? The girl(s) that had been previously pulled out ! The security guys had actually taken them up to the stage.

Anyhow, it was a memorable moment for sure, but on the day the great musical performances were few and far between. The US side of things was especially shambolic.

U2 had planned to play 'Pride' after Bad but ran out of time.

I remember watching it, turning to my U2-fan girlfriend at the time and we both had a WTF moment. Only in the light of history has it become a performance of legend, but at the time it was NOT seen as the triumph it has been since blown up to be.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
Everyone who was anyone in music at that time played there, so basically those who were good live would naturally come to the fore. There was no option to promote your band except by your ability to play. 

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »

I remember watching it, turning to my U2-fan girlfriend at the time and we both had a WTF moment. Only in the light of history has it become a performance of legend, but at the time it was NOT seen as the triumph it has been since blown up to be.

Not sure about that?
The stories in the papers next day were of only two bands Queen and U2, all u2's albums shot up the charts right after.

It was a who's who of music that played though, REM were not big enough to play there in mid 1985. They didn't break big until later.   

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »

Not sure about that?
The stories in the papers next day were of only two bands Queen and U2, all u2's albums shot up the charts right after.

It was a who's who of music that played though, REM were not big enough to play there in mid 1985. They didn't break big until later.   

I was commenting more those of us already long time U2 fans at the time (we didn't have internet forums, but we had fanzines and stuff) not people who became U2 fans and bought albums as a result of that performance. Obviously to them it was more of an "omigod" moment !

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »
I was very excited about the DVD.  My only gripe is the sound quality.  Couldn't it have been better remastered in 5.1. 

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 03:19:28 AM »

Why insist with this unsubstantiated idea? If you don't consider Kate Bush, Echo & the Bunnymen or The Cure big enough to belong to the "who's who" in 1985, which is at least very debatable, then I'll give you 3 names that were already huge stars in 1985 but who were not at Live Aid:

Lou Reed

Iggy Pop

Van Morrison

daveyg

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 04:22:56 AM »
I was very excited about the DVD.  My only gripe is the sound quality.  Couldn't it have been better remastered in 5.1. 

considering it was pieced together by home VHS tapes and old BBC tapes (Sir Bob insisted at the time he didn't want any copies being sold), the sound quality wasn't too bad!

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 05:01:08 AM »
If it never happened, U2 would never be as big with the Joshua Tree and would not need to reinvent themselves with Achtung Baby.  And we would never hear a mess that was POP.

This is like 6 degrees of separation and Kevin Bacon. You start any thread and Jick can link it all back to Pop.  :D

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 05:15:03 AM »
I think the idea of self-promotion is something new and a product of the time we are in now so pretty irrelevant to Live Aid , in 1985 things were a bit more genuine. All the bands that were on the bill at Live Aid were asked to perform. It was a first, a unique ground breaking concert and for a cause that gripped millions of people around the world thanks to Sir Bob.
 ALL the greatest performers of that era were there.

Can I suggest that if you genuinely believe that was the case, then you track down a copy of Bob Geldolf's biography "Is that all?". The UK stars were certainly more sincere in their motives, but he does hint that some well known acts of that time are conspicuous by their absence. He also tells of the lavish banquet put on for USA for Africa, stars arriving in limousines and competing for profile. All rather sad really.

I agree with Joe, that Queen stole the show and would suggest that Bowie's performance was also up there as well. U2 certainly gained significant publicity from the occassion, but they were already capturing people's attention before then. They already had UABRS under their belt and only 9 months earlier had sold out 5 shows in Sydney at a 12,000 seat arena. This was just before TUF was released and when Pride was just being heard for the first time. THey were always going to be big.

DaveyG, the DVD may be a snapshot of the music of our time, but good grief there were some scary fashion disasters!  :o