Author Topic: Live Aid - What if it never happened ?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Live Aid - What if it never happened ?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
When I think of Live Aid I always think of Band Aid and the Wembley show rather than the US versions. But doesn't surprise me that the American incarnation was tarnished.
It's true they were capturing people's attention especially after the release of the Unforgettable Fire the previous year but Live Aid brought them to a worldwide audience with an incredible performance that for them was nothing special as they played exactly as they did at any live show including the dancing with the lassie part, it was just that more people were exposed to how incredible they were live.
No one engages the crowd like Bono, Freddie was great but it was more like a pub singalong, U2 have always moved on a higher plain.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 11:37:39 AM »
Sure Queen were good performers, but that doesn't make their music good.  One of the most over-rated bands ever.  U2's performance was better, because they had better songs. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »
Can't agree with that, Queen were pretty damn special. Their music had such zest and energy.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
Everyone who appeared at Live Aid enhanced their career.

Queen were already a big band that had been around over a decade and had number 1 singles. Live Aid just enhanced their mainstream popularity. However they became an even bigger live band and played two shows at Wembley the following year. Quite an achievement in 1986.

Even Status Quo became popular again. Live shows in general became much more popular and artists were suddenly playing stadiums rather than arenas.

Compared to Queen & Status Quo, U2 were quite unknown. They were also a young and emerging band. Most of the young people watching the great performances at live aid (like me) were probably going to latch onto U2 rather than somewhat unfashionable older or popier artists.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »
Regarding U2's performance. Planned or spontaneous ?

Bono said he had received a kiss from Linda Mccartney just before going on stage. This put him in euphoric mood. He said he was upset that he did'nt get to perform Pride and was deflated until getting feedback on his performance from other people.

I'm sure Bono must have looked at the earlier artists performances at Live Aid and thought they were'nt up to much. U2 were already regarded as the world's top live band and had continually toured, often in big stadiums  He would have wanted to shake up the crowd a bit and show them what U2 are all about. He often jumped into crowds or pulled women out to dance with & his performances were always energetic.

Whether his jump into the crowd was planned or spontaneous, one thing is certain - Bono had gambled and won.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Everyone who appeared at Live Aid enhanced their career.

Queen were already a big band that had been around over a decade and had number 1 singles. Live Aid just enhanced their mainstream popularity. However they became an even bigger live band and played two shows at Wembley the following year. Quite an achievement in 1986.

Even Status Quo became popular again. Live shows in general became much more popular and artists were suddenly playing stadiums rather than arenas.

Compared to Queen & Status Quo, U2 were quite unknown. They were also a young and emerging band. Most of the young people watching the great performances at live aid (like me) were probably going to latch onto U2 rather than somewhat unfashionable older or popier artists.

Again, let's be clear on U2's status at the time.

Look at the audience, full of U2 flags.

U2 were also headlining Milton Keynes Bowl, no mean feat.

US-side is different obviously.

Offline Jazz

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can't agree with that, Queen were pretty damn special. Their music had such zest and energy.

Yeah, I dug Queen the most - Freddie was probably the worlds best rock n roll performer...