Author Topic: Eno & Lanois Got To Go  (Read 6263 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Eno & Lanois Got To Go
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
Acknowledged:

• Eno & Lanois are fantastic at their job
  • Eno & Lanois can create great sonic landscapes
  • Eno & Lanois are meticulous and creative
  • Eno & Lanois have a special relationship with U2

However:

• I don't want U2 playing Eno & Lanois songs
  • Over production softens the rough edges....I like the rough edges
  • Sometimes a band needs pushed out of their comfort zone

Just a thought.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Eno & Lanois Got To Go
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
However , because the way that U2 records(they create the album during studio time rather than coming in with a set of songs to record) Lanois and Eno with the addition of Steve Lillywhite are the only producers who can work with them or who U2 can work with.  They drove Chris Thomas insane during the making of HTDAAB and finally had to part ways and they could not work with Rick Rubin this time around and had to part ways also.  So they  are kind of stuck with these 3 producers, like it or not.

joegtheog

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
However , because the way that U2 records(they create the album during studio time rather than coming in with a set of songs to record) Lanois and Eno with the addition of Steve Lillywhite are the only producers who can work with them or who U2 can work with.  They drove Chris Thomas insane during the making of HTDAAB and finally had to part ways and they could not work with Rick Rubin this time around and had to part ways also.  So they  are kind of stuck with these 3 producers, like it or not.

Or the Edge.

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
I agree it's time for a change, but I like over-production. I'd like to hear Flood over-produce the next record.  ;D

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
I don't mind the last few albums, but I can't help but feel that the band essentially doesn't really have enough conflict to really reach maximum potential - the label, the producers, the management either can't prod or jab them or won't. I don't think it's a producer issue, but if I landed the gig of producing the next album (or, as things may transpire, the album after next), I'd probably point out that pretty much no classic album has ever been made by sitting in a studio for years on end, especially not in the open-ended manner that U2 insist on working in. And whatever studio we'd be working in, I'd make sure to stick up huge posters of Chinese Democracy in every eyeline to drive the point home. They'd probably knock out an album in six weeks with that...

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
Acknowledged:

However:

Just a thought.

I (respectfully) could not DISAGREE more

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »
I also think
I don't mind the last few albums, but I can't help but feel that the band essentially doesn't really have enough conflict to really reach maximum potential - the label, the producers, the management either can't prod or jab them or won't. I don't think it's a producer issue, but if I landed the gig of producing the next album (or, as things may transpire, the album after next), I'd probably point out that pretty much no classic album has ever been made by sitting in a studio for years on end, especially not in the open-ended manner that U2 insist on working in. And whatever studio we'd be working in, I'd make sure to stick up huge posters of Chinese Democracy in every eyeline to drive the point home. They'd probably knock out an album in six weeks with that...

Well part of the problem is U2 don't know how to write songs. They write many fantastic songs, but they don't know to "write them". Before some-one flames me for this, let me explain - it's not easy for them.  They jam around and kind of put parts together until they come up with amazing stuff.  That's all well and good, but thats part of the reason why their albums take so long.

Haha like the idea of Chinese Democracy.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »
Acknowledged:

However:

Just a thought.

I (respectfully) could not DISAGREE more

I (respectfully) second that.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
U2 may need them more than you think.

Imagine, an album with no Eno, or Lanois, or Lilywhite for that matter, means we will get disjointed, unfinished, overlooped, oversampled, oversynthesized POP.

U2 cannot afford that so they needed their comfort zone.  I think they just need to work with producers who are more accustomed to accessible poppy music and they'll be fine even without Eno and Lanois.

Cheers,

J

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »

For those of us who've concluded (at least for the moment) that NLOTH missed the mark, I think the fault lies, in part, with the blurring of the line between band member and producer(s).  You can detect from some of the u2.com videos that there was some serious navel-gazing going on.  The vibe I got is of some really happy, comfortable (i.e. wanting for nothing) guys, checking into luxury chill pads for a few years of Eno-led creativity exercises.  The band was uncomfortable working with Rubin, his style, his insistence on songs.  Maybe discomfort is what the boys really needed.  Not saying Rubin was the answer, but I tend to agree with the premise of this thread.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »

For those of us who've concluded (at least for the moment) that NLOTH missed the mark, I think the fault lies, in part, with the blurring of the line between band member and producer(s).  You can detect from some of the u2.com videos that there was some serious navel-gazing going on.  The vibe I got is of some really happy, comfortable (i.e. wanting for nothing) guys, checking into luxury chill pads for a few years of Eno-led creativity exercises.  The band was uncomfortable working with Rubin, his style, his insistence on songs.  Maybe discomfort is what the boys really needed.  Not saying Rubin was the answer, but I tend to agree with the premise of this thread.

I was going to suggest Rubin and I got the same vibe from the same source.

There's a clip where The Edge and Bono are on a Dublin radio station where they perform "Ground Beneath Her Feet" with an acoustic guitar and Bono's voice and it was fantastic.

I think a stripped down U2 with Rubin aesthetic is exactly the next direction the band should do down. Strip the whole machine right down to the mysterious again.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »
U2 may need them more than you think.

Imagine, an album with no Eno, or Lanois, or Lilywhite for that matter, means we will get disjointed, unfinished, overlooped, oversampled, oversynthesized POP.

U2 cannot afford that so they needed their comfort zone.  I think they just need to work with producers who are more accustomed to accessible poppy music and they'll be fine even without Eno and Lanois.

Cheers,

J

Ahhhhh yes. It was only a matter of time before Jick had to step in and take the pi*s with yet another reference to - and thrashing of Pop.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 04:15:22 AM »
I agree with the title of this thread and I even propose to complete it...

Eno & Lanois got to go... to the studio with U2 as soon as possible so that they all can complete "Songs of Ascent" this year.  ;D

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »
Thank you sceptic prophet.  :)

jimyjazz

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
U2 need Eno and Lanois to make great music.  I'd like to see them switch it up, but they are so much better when they work with those two guys.  I think they should give them more control in what songs make it on the album, set list...everything!

No E/L - Boy, October, War, Rattle and Hum, Pop, Bomb
With E/L - Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, No Line

Zooropa and Passengers are in the middle.