Author Topic: Eno & Lanois Got To Go  (Read 6256 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Eno & Lanois Got To Go
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
I don't think that Eno and Lanois should be with them for every album, but I like the music they poroduce with the band. The way they've switched in and out with them over the last few years suits me fine- it gives us a sense of both!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
I have no issues with E/L or Lillywhite.  TBH, I want one of them on the remaining records in U2's life.  In fact for someone to suggest a move from all 3, is insane.  The band has been recording for 30 years with one of the above.  To suggest a fresh move is great in theory (if you dislike all 3) but realistically, it's like telling a 70 year old man who throws righty to change and throw lefty (I'm tired so the metaphor is awful but you get my gist).  They have 4 or 5 albums left I'm guessing.  A change of that magnatude isn't happening. 

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
I want another album made in the same spirit as POP, they worked with Marius De Vries (Bjork and Madonna's best 90s stuff among other stuff), Flood and Howie B! I want more U2 techno rock.  ;D :D

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 05:27:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I want another album made in the same spirit as POP, they worked with Marius De Vries (Bjork and Madonna's best 90s stuff among other stuff), Flood and Howie B! I want more U2 techno rock.  ;D :D

look out! here comes Jick!

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
However , because the way that U2 records(they create the album during studio time rather than coming in with a set of songs to record) Lanois and Eno with the addition of Steve Lillywhite are the only producers who can work with them or who U2 can work with.  They drove Chris Thomas insane during the making of HTDAAB and finally had to part ways and they could not work with Rick Rubin this time around and had to part ways also.  So they  are kind of stuck with these 3 producers, like it or not.

You have a good point right there.  I can imagine its a nightmare starting an album out of nothing for any producer.  Eno and Lanois are used to U2's method.  It wouldn't be so bad if they used a different producer for one or two albums. 

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
Am I the only one who'd be interested in U2 producing U2?

Offline Powderworker

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
How about T Bone Burnett?  I know they are good friends with him.

What about Magoo?  He produced Midnight Oil's Redneck Wonderland.

George

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
U2 may need them more than you think.

Imagine, an album with no Eno, or Lanois, or Lilywhite for that matter, means we will get disjointed, unfinished, overlooped, oversampled, oversynthesized POP.

U2 cannot afford that so they needed their comfort zone.  I think they just need to work with producers who are more accustomed to accessible poppy music and they'll be fine even without Eno and Lanois.

Cheers,

J

jick one thing I notice in your posts is an unhealthy, almost mechanical fallback to what you see as facts from "the horses mouth [which you cannot argue with]" or graphs, grammys and tables and all that guff.
If you had the bands confidence (xD) you would no doubt be advising them to "continue churning out the hits" even though they would steadily become more and more bland and stale; but thats cool because you apparently dont seem to bother about things like artistic integrity or the merits of experimenting with, say, breakbeat techno. No its sales, charts and grammys up the wazzoo as long as they are the "Biggest Band In The World"...right?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:D

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »
Would it be so bad if U2 left that comfort zone you speak of Jick?  The team of Lanois and Eno are no doubt responsible for a lot of U2's great work.  But trying something new once in a while wouldn't hurt either as long as it's good music.  If U2 hadn't left their comfort zone we wouldn't have Achtung Baby, Zooropa, or POP.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
Jimmy Iovine produced Rattle & Hum and its still one of my favorite albums.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »
U2 may need them more than you think.

Imagine, an album with no Eno, or Lanois, or Lilywhite for that matter, means we will get disjointed, unfinished, overlooped, oversampled, oversynthesized POP.

U2 cannot afford that so they needed their comfort zone.  I think they just need to work with producers who are more accustomed to accessible poppy music and they'll be fine even without Eno and Lanois.

Cheers,

J

jick one thing I notice in your posts is an unhealthy, almost mechanical fallback to what you see as facts from "the horses mouth [which you cannot argue with]" or graphs, grammys and tables and all that guff.
If you had the bands confidence (xD) you would no doubt be advising them to "continue churning out the hits" even though they would steadily become more and more bland and stale; but thats cool because you apparently dont seem to bother about things like artistic integrity or the merits of experimenting with, say, breakbeat techno. No its sales, charts and grammys up the wazzoo as long as they are the "Biggest Band In The World"...right?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:D

I had to chuckle at the "Pop" era picture.  Living off of this board for the past 6 months, I can pretty much assume that's a shot at Jick? I can't even look at Edge. Troubling!

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »
No, I love this look for the edge! Like some dudes we used to see at clubs when we were young, looking like that, trying to pick up 20 yr old chicks!! And, No Beanie!!

No E/L - Boy, October, War, Rattle and Hum, Pop, Bomb-I gotta say, these are the albums that made me fall in love with this band-edgey, punk but beautiful, pure-I listen to October all of the Month of October. And when they ever played cat-n-duba(?spelling) on the last tour, I freaked! It was great. I noticed a lot of people who didn't know it and those of us who were wicked happy to hear the old stuff. What about Adam producing?

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
jick are you there? Are you gonna do that disappearing act you do if you cannot reply to a reasonable point? Thought so...

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
How about T Bone Burnett?  I know they are good friends with him.

That would be a great American sounding album then. I've often wondered why they haven't worked with him before, but I guess during the 90s they were into European dance culture and wanted to pursue that. Thanks to them for introducing me to Howie B and his soundscapes in the process.

Jimmy Iovine produced Rattle & Hum and its still one of my favorite albums.

"Rattle and Hum" must have come from a different kind of album process than the demo-deconstructing writing style that they employed since then, because the studio tracks sound so raw. It cannot be down to Jimmy Iovine's influence, because the Eurythmics' "We Too Are One" album that he produced just one year after "Rattle and Hum" is as slick as can get. On that regard, I wouldn't recommend Iovine, because I've had enough of the slickness with HTDAAB already.

May they go on as planned with "Songs Of Ascent" or whatever this will be called. May they stay away from the shallow waters of the world of Coldplay's and Nickelback's studio recordings.

For the album after that, may they even tool their songs together in the studio like they usually do, and then work out how to play them live, then record them again live in the studio and release that as the album.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »

That's actually nailed his approach exactly; I swear that if we have any computer programmers over at @U2, they could probably kick him off the board and replace him with a Jick Post Generator, which  would just pull out a series of stock phrases and sign off with the utterly insincere "cheers, J" tag. Even the smarter posters here probably wouldn't notice any change for at least a month, if ever.

Aaaaaaaaaand...actually, I've kinda said all I needed to on this topic, so far. Whatever happens, Chinese Democracy poster. I might mail one to them once they start a "new album" (i.e. after Songs of Ascent, assuming SoA is still going to happen)...