Author Topic: Eno & Lanois Got To Go  (Read 6258 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Eno & Lanois Got To Go
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
I think I am in the minority that really likes Steve Lillywhite's work with the band. Change is always a risk-it could go either way but as good as Eno/Lanois are with U2, I believe they should change at this point. Life is about change.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
U2 has definitely made some great music with Eno and Lanios, no doubt about it. However, they also put out great work with Steve Lillywhite and Flood's work on Pop was great. Jimmy Iovine also did well on RAH, which is severely overlooked.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »
"Life is about change"

oh, dear. really? I respectfully disagree with that general statement being used here. If you were complaining about anybody not taking artistic risks or changing over the years - then go after a guy like Bon Jovi - or any other of the many artists out there who haven't ever changed or challenged themselves. Eno and Lanois have been a huge part of those changes and although I respect any one who prefers they move on, i don't think its fair to say they haven't been any part of U2 changing things up artistically over the years. The Eno & Lanois debate is an interesting one ...

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »
Whoever made this thread should have made it a poll. Something like...Do you like Eno and Lenois working w/U2? Options: Yes, No. I personally like their aid on U2's albums, because just guitars, drums, bass, and voice can get a little boring at times. I think sometimes the "sonic landscapes" make U2 sound even better. That (my dear fellow U2-lovers) is my humble opinion.  ;D

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
I think I will come back into the conversation (I started the thread).  A lot of good points have been made so far.  Some even make me reconsider by initial thought of having a different producer.  However, I guess what gets me on this record is that L & E were considered songwriters as well as producers.  It makes me question a couple of things.  One, to what extent were L & E songwriters in the past and not given credit? Two, how much of NLOTH is a U2-6 (4 +2) creation instead of U2?  When this was done in the past it was called "Passengers."  I don't mean to dismiss the result of U2-6 because I like the record and they are being honest as to giving credit where credit is due....I just would like to see what U2 comes up with as U2.  As was mentioned in an earlier post....songwriting seems like such a struggle, although the result is tremendous and I think we all underestimate the difficulty in songwriting.  Many people would kill for a one-hit wonder, let alone a 30 year career of amazing songs.

Maybe I've just underestimated their influence and contributions in the past and now they are getting the notice they deserve as producers, songwriters, etc.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »

"Maybe I've just underestimated their influence and contributions in the past and now they are getting the notice they deserve as producers, songwriters, etc."

I agree, several good points have been made in this thread. However, I like your concluding words best

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I am in the minority that really likes Steve Lillywhite's work with the band. Change is always a risk-it could go either way but as good as Eno/Lanois are with U2, I believe they should change at this point. Life is about change.

Then I'm there with you, Lillywhite captures incredible energy and intensity, and gets better guitar sounds from Edge.  It's just a sound I love, not heavy handed, but so bright and up front and isn't afraid of sonic "space"; letting one instrument or one note stand alone for awhile in the mix.

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »

Maybe I've just underestimated their influence and contributions in the past and now they are getting the notice they deserve as producers, songwriters, etc.

I think their influence and contributions have been massive.  There's an interview with Daniel Lanois, and I wish I could find it, because it involves a stunning revelation, in which HE describes coming up with the "blues-y" guitar part that was the genesis of "One."  If anyone else knows the interview I speak of, help me out.  I remember hearing this and my jaw dropping.  I understand that this is not uncommon, for producers to be uncredited songwriters and throwing out lots of ideas that get used by the band, but this contribution was so central.  U2 without "One" may be a great band without a truly Great single. 

liam02

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »
to me it dosent make a diference if they go or stay ;)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 05:52:33 AM »

I like both camps to be honest.  Bottom line is that if you want an album that will chart well, you choose Lillywhite.  If you want an album that will still chart but have more variety on it, you choose Eno/Lanois.  Like I said, I like both camps.  :-\

mariamontreal

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »
No , do not agree.Bono has said that they need Eno & Lanois on their team as  they are the driving force that pushes them in new directions and brings out their creativeness in the music . The relationship between them is such a strong bond unlike other producers who want them to make  music their way. U2'S ideas are brought to life through Eno & Lanois. That is the difference.  With such a solid relationship as the 6 have , it is very hard when you are cooped up in studios with the same people and not getting along, the music suffers. So I personally feel that Eno & Lanois are very important elements in the making of the music by U2 .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:12:44 AM by mariamontreal »

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
No , do not agree.Bono has said that they need Eno & Langlois on their team as  they are the driving force that pushes them in new directions and brings out their creativeness in the music . The realtionship between them is such a strong bond unlike other producers who want them to make  music their way. U2'S ideas are brought to life through Eno & Langlois. That is the difference.  With such a solid realationship as the 6 have , it is very hard when you are cooped up in studios with the same people and not getting along, the music suffers. So I personally feel that Eno & Langlois are very important elements in the making of the music by U2 .

I agree with everything you've said here - except the way you spelled Lanois :)

mariamontreal

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »
OOPS , you would think coming from Quebec I would have spelled his name right, sorry for the typo.

Offline hernandezhennessey

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
I dont know.. Its  very hard to say. I see so many good points for and against their relationship with Eno / Lanois....

From my side I tend to think that U2-6 (As was described earlier) is a great team and I love the music they make toghether.. Right now Im listening to FEZ- Being Born and I just love it.. its  an amazing song, so complete... But that does not mean that they HAVE to make every record toghether... Maybe a record with JUST lillywithe?.. Maybe a record produced by U2?... I dont know .. that could be interesting.

mariamontreal

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
Why fix it when it's not broken - they seem to turn to Eno & Lanois ( spelled it right see ? ) so they must feel that for them they are the right ones. Lillywhite is also very good  It's a decision made solely  by the band . Comfort zone perhaps ?