Author Topic: Eno & Lanois Got To Go  (Read 6255 times)

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
Re: Eno & Lanois Got To Go
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:04 AM »
if i remember it right, Eno said before "U2 are like Coldplay." i really don't like what he said because Coldplay is the one sort of copying U2.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »
I'm a HUGE Lanois fan ( as a producer and solo artist ) and following him closely over the years has led me to believe that he plays a large part in bringing out the "folk" side of the band and furthermore, helping them in their need to express themselves spiritually also. Brian Eno too. He pushes u2 artistically. I'm not implying that u2 is not capable of tapping into these areas without these 2 guys, but I do think they help them in those areas - and more. What makes the relationship even more interesting is the fact that Lanois is a believer - and Eno is an atheist ...
Goes without saying - that I wouldn't change the U2-6 recipe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:19:39 AM by u2matters »

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »
"if i remember it right ..." - I'd say that's a pretty big IF

mariamontreal

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2009, 09:57:04 AM »
If  Eno & Lanois produce any future albums, they should call it  U2 + 2  - ( it is meant to be a joke by the way I am not serious  about that )

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If  Eno & Lanois produce any future albums, they should call it  U2 + 2  - ( it is meant to be a joke by the way I am not serious  about that )

U4 ?

Offline seyeryej

• Babyface
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
I think U2 is too insecure to produce an album themselves.  Not Edge, but all of them as a whole.  They need that reassurance, they pay very good money for people to comb over every single miniscule aspect of sound production.

The problem with Eno and Lanois is that they really don't do anything to help Adam and Larry, they regulate them to simplistic beats.  If they do "drive" then they drive in a very simple and very linear fashion.  Eno is simply not a rock man with rock & roll beats.

Another problem I have is that it appears that with the exception of the Edge's guitar and Bono's voice, the bass and percussion almost sounds like they are being outputted in mono sound.  I love how they emphasized Adam and Larry during the pop sessions, or Larry rather.

The ultimate dream, of course, is to find a way in which all four "cylinders" of U2 are firing at their peak.  But not every song can be Until the End of the World.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2009, 02:32:58 PM »
Why don't U2 just have Jick to produce them.  He seems to know EVERYTHING about what U2 needs, wants, smells, likes, eats, etc...

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 05:32:30 PM »
Why don't U2 just have Jick to produce them.  He seems to know EVERYTHING about what U2 needs, wants, smells, likes, eats, etc...

Seconded. He can use "U2 By U2" as his source reference material, and the next record could sound EXACTLY like HTDAAB. And Jon Bon Jovi could sing backup. That would be a real treat.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
oh jick..what have you done?  ;D :D

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »
And Jon Bon Jovi could sing backup.

Would I be flamed if I said that I sincerely think that's a brill idea?? No seriously!

Talking abt JBJ, the other day I opened up a music mag and saw his mug on a page. My first instinct was "Omg Jick's in a magazine!".

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »
I like both camps as well however, I say change is always a good idea...it doesn't mean it always works but.....if it helps keep the band "interested" and enthusiastic, even better....cuz if they start getting bored you know what'll follow......... :( I don't even wanna think about it)

Offline The Unforgettable Fireman

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
Maybe just Eno should go for an album or two. They've worked with Eno alot in their career:

The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Passengers
ATYCLB
NLOTH

While Lanois has worked on:

The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
ATYCLB
NLOTH

When they first started work on AB in Berlin it was just Lanois producing, Eno was brought in to help facilitate (remember production credits read 'Lanois with Eno', not 'Eno and Lanois'.) The early problems with AB sessions may imply that they can't work with Lanois alone, but I'd like to see them try to work with Lanois alone again. I'm a big fan of his solo work and production of other artists like Emmylou Harris & Bob Dylan. Maybe Eno can be brought in later in the recording for mixes.

(I thought there was an opportunity in recent years for the band to record with him in New Orleans because Lanois has(?) a studio there [certainly many musical connections] and Edge has been involved in the area with Music Rising: it would have created interesting circumstances for them to work.)

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »
And Jon Bon Jovi could sing backup.

Would I be flamed if I said that I sincerely think that's a brill idea?? No seriously!

Talking abt JBJ, the other day I opened up a music mag and saw his mug on a page. My first instinct was "Omg Jick's in a magazine!".

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

satellitedog01

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2009, 05:40:16 AM »
 ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2009, 05:49:03 AM »
U2 are already the biggest band in the world.  They have hit their "comfort" zone with Eno and Lanois.  They tried Rubin and Chris Thomas in the past to no success.  If they maintain being the biggest band in the world and still remain comfortable, why move out of their comfort zone?  It just doesn't make sense.

It would make sense though if this album does tank, and from the looks of it, it seems on pace to tank.

Cheers,

J