Author Topic: Eno & Lanois Got To Go  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
Re: Eno & Lanois Got To Go
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 are already the biggest band in the world.  They have hit their "comfort" zone with Eno and Lanois.  They tried Rubin and Chris Thomas in the past to no success.  If they maintain being the biggest band in the world and still remain comfortable, why move out of their comfort zone?  It just doesn't make sense.

It would make sense though if this album does tank, and from the looks of it, it seems on pace to tank.

Cheers,

J

Wow...did jick just contradict most of his statements on here by suggesting that U2 should move out of their "comfort zone" and effectively make really wild, experimental and creative music again?

But why jick should they only do that if their sales (which you care so religiously about) are declining?

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
I think I will come back into the conversation (I started the thread).  A lot of good points have been made so far.  Some even make me reconsider by initial thought of having a different producer.  However, I guess what gets me on this record is that L & E were considered songwriters as well as producers.  It makes me question a couple of things.  One, to what extent were L & E songwriters in the past and not given credit? Two, how much of NLOTH is a U2-6 (4 +2) creation instead of U2?  When this was done in the past it was called "Passengers."  I don't mean to dismiss the result of U2-6 because I like the record and they are being honest as to giving credit where credit is due....I just would like to see what U2 comes up with as U2.  As was mentioned in an earlier post....songwriting seems like such a struggle, although the result is tremendous and I think we all underestimate the difficulty in songwriting.  Many people would kill for a one-hit wonder, let alone a 30 year career of amazing songs.

Maybe I've just underestimated their influence and contributions in the past and now they are getting the notice they deserve as producers, songwriters, etc.

I agree with your post, I also worry that Eno and Lanois had huge input as songwriters on NLOTH.  It makes me wonder how much muscially/lyrically is U2 and how much is Eno and Lanois too.  Is it a sign U2 has lost some of their creativity?  I suppose we'll never know the answers to those questions, but it leaves me wondering.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 09:15:42 AM »

Wow...did jick just contradict most of his statements on here by suggesting that U2 should move out of their "comfort zone" and effectively make really wild, experimental and creative music again?

But why jick should they only do that if their sales (which you care so religiously about) are declining?

If sales are declining it means the team isn't working anymore so it might be time to find something new.  If it's working then no need to fix it.  From the looks of it now, sales are declining.

Cheers,

J

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »

If sales are declining it means the team isn't working anymore so it might be time to find something new.  If it's working then no need to fix it.  From the looks of it now, sales are declining.

Cheers,

J

jick...what...the f*** kind of reply is this? Why do you have to be so patheticaly finalistic when your confronted with a question(s) that you obviously fear to answer because you know deep down that your always, forever reaching with your theorys and ideas? Cant you even attempt to give a civil, repectful and reasonable answer? You drive people round the bend with this kind of bull-sh**e jick...you do understand that right? I really do wonder if you arent some troll, your just so unbelievable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:27:45 AM by Terrasidius »

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »
Lol, aw well never mind jick...its alright we understand. Youl probably be pouring over U2 by U2 for more undisputable "from-the-horses-mouth" factoids. Were doomed.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
U2 are already the biggest band in the world.  They have hit their "comfort" zone with Eno and Lanois.  They tried Rubin and Chris Thomas in the past to no success.  If they maintain being the biggest band in the world and still remain comfortable, why move out of their comfort zone?  It just doesn't make sense.

It would make sense though if this album does tank, and from the looks of it, it seems on pace to tank.

Cheers,

J

I thought as artists, doing something out of the norm is applauded.  The question I asked you earlier is would it be so bad for U2 to move out of their comfort zone? No it wouldn't.  Would it be the end of the world if U2 decided to work with another producer with a fresh new sound?  No matter what they do now they will always be known as the biggest band in the world.  I have nothing against the work of Eno and Lanois I think they're great at what they do.  But you can only do the same thing so many times before it starts to get boring and worn out.  No one is suggesting that U2 ditch Eno and Lanois forever.  But it would be great if they did something different for once.  U2 is smart enough to go with a producer that they know will help them make a great album. 
And I don't get your obsession with album sales.  To most loyal fans, they could care less if the album hit a certain number.  That's great the album went to number one, but like I said in another thread, the days of The Joshua Tree sales figures are gone.  U2 is trying to compete with the likes of Disney channel stars, hip hop, and a bunch of other stuff that's massed produced to a younger audience.  Is that U2's fault? No. 

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »
they should work with Timbaland. Justin Timberlake should produce a song and get a vocal credit on a duet with Bono. then they should make a video starring Zac Enron.

satellitedog01

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »
Well, it's time to accept they've grown up, our lads:-)

Yeah the problem is, they want to compete with brands they're not in the same ballpark with, like the ones Evil stated.

Obviously, they are way above that level, and if they wanted street cred,
they could just steal it like they did before, it would still be them.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2009, 07:40:52 AM »
I thought as artists, doing something out of the norm is applauded.  The question I asked you earlier is would it be so bad for U2 to move out of their comfort zone? No it wouldn't.  Would it be the end of the world if U2 decided to work with another producer with a fresh new sound?  No matter what they do now they will always be known as the biggest band in the world.  I have nothing against the work of Eno and Lanois I think they're great at what they do.  But you can only do the same thing so many times before it starts to get boring and worn out.  No one is suggesting that U2 ditch Eno and Lanois forever.  But it would be great if they did something different for once.  U2 is smart enough to go with a producer that they know will help them make a great album. 

The question is not whether it would be so bad for U2 to move out of their comfort zone.  The question would not be whether it would be the end of the world for U2.  The question would be: what do U2 have to gain with a new producer?

They have already proven that they cannot work with Rick Rubin or Chris Thomas.  So what have they to gain to change teams this late in the game?

I would like to answer my own question.  While Eno and Lanois have produced U2's best work - The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and All That You Can't Leave Behind - it seems they have slipped massively with No Line On The Horizon which is a failure in U2's high standards, and Boots which may be U2's worst first single ever which did nothing but do bad for the album.

I guess this album has proven that perhaps the end of the line is there for Eno and Lanois.  With the past albums, it was more like "if it ain't broke why fix it" attitude.  Now, it's like "it's broke so we should try something new."

So the better reason to ditch Eno and Lanois would not be about seeking new artistic ambitions, or moving out of their comfort zone but more because Eno and Lanois have finally crossed the line with this album, taking too much creative control - making U2 lose their identity, confusing fans, and an album that is hardly getting radio play, or buzz, and whose sales are falling faster than a speeding bullet.

U2 should find a producer who can just let U2 be U2, and not contribute some lame lyrics or chorus chants.

Cheers,

J

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
Jick you seem to be the only one that thinks the album is a massive failure in sales figures.   ::)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
Jick you seem to be the only one that thinks the album is a massive failure in sales figures.   ::)

I know, it's bizarre. We're living in an era of popular music where Pop, in sales terms*, would've been a huge success, compounded with the fact that we're apparently in what might be a new Great Depression, and yet at least** 2.5m copies have shifted in well under two months.

But of course, Jick is a relentless font of U2-based knowledge, so it clearly falls upon us as our honourable duty to begin the campaign, right here, right now, and tell the world to buy the album or else Bono's children starve. Because you wouldn't want little Eve to die, would you? Please, please, please think of the children...

OK, I may have gone overboard there.

*7 million worldwide.
**it's hard to find figures for this, but that's what I've managed to find.

jimyjazz

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

Because you wouldn't want little Eve to die, would you? Please, please, please think of the children...

OK, I may have gone overboard there.

*7 million worldwide.
**it's hard to find figures for this, but that's what I've managed to find.

if she is the hot one, then "no". I'll buy anything.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
Back to the topic!

Eno and Lanois Got to Go,

Yes?  visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

No?  visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »
Quite simply: no  :)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »
Thank you Nielsen, I knew there was something we agree on.  ;)