Author Topic: Ever seen this guy on stage at a U2 concert?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Ever seen this guy on stage at a U2 concert?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »
i think he plays very little. i think it is him playing keyboard at the end of Walk On, for example, which is not much. and there are only few other songs that require him to play along with U2. Moreover, i believe he must help Dallas with the technical side as well.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i think he plays very little. i think it is him playing keyboard at the end of Walk On, for example, which is not much. and there are only few other songs that require him to play along with U2. Moreover, i believe he must help Dallas with the technical side as well.

Most of the songs have some sort of synth sound accompanying them; I just always figured most of it was digital sequencers and not a live performance. On a few songs the playing is more noticeable - Stuck In A Moment comes to mind. All sorts of chimes and horn sounds in the mix. All that stuff I have always felt they could do without. The band seem to be at their finest when you strip away all the accompaniment and just let them tear into it.

As for the suggestions that these musicians should join the band onstage, I say no way. We came to cheer on four guys - not the people adding the beeps and blips in the background. I sure don't want to see Eno onstage with the band; in fact if the awesome live performances of the new material we've seen so far (Letterman, BBC, etc.) are any indication, the songs will get de-Eno'ed quite a bit for the tour. That's not a bad thing, in my opinion!

I'll take my U2 straight up, please.

Offline Chrisedge

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »

Thats the point. If it WAS straight up, they would just be alone (no problem there)...but by hiding them under the stage it's anything but straight up...

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »

Thats the point. If it WAS straight up, they would just be alone (no problem there)...but by hiding them under the stage it's anything but straight up...

Well yeah, but my point was that it seems unnecessary to put musicians onstage if they're only adding "fill," i.e., ambient synth sounds, twinkly effects, etc. If we saw the four guys onstage while some invisible musician played a rocking solo or some sort of blaring accompaniment, that'd be different. Watch or listen to any U2 show and you can pretty clearly isolate the "backing" sounds, and generally they're fairly minimal.

Here, I'll fix it:

"I'll take my U2 straight up with a twist, please."  ;)

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
He plays a lot, and he's hidden under the stage because U2 understandably wishes to maintain the myth of a self-contained musical unit.  Kinda makes that silly little keyboard Adam played two notes on seem extraneous, doesn't it?