Author Topic: U2, Zooropa, a Golden Age and NLOTH  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
Re: U2, Zooropa, a Golden Age and NLOTH
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some bands have a 'golden age' - Zooropa and POP was clearly U2's 'golden age' - the perfect place between creativity and acceptance.

Like lots of good things, they come to an end though. U2 built up to the Zooropa/POP period with mostly excellent albums (with the exception on the patchy Rattle and Hum).

Since POP, they have pretty much been treading water. Unsure if they should take artistic risks anymore at the risk of losing their audience. Why they have made this decision eludes me but there we are.

The jump from the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby was daring, bold, creative and plain inspired - their popularity increased massively. Clearly something U2 appear to have a pathological need for.

NLOTH is a step in the right direction but falls flat on its face - but, if they can keep their eyes on the prize, maybe they can be the genuinely great band they once were again.
Damn they WERE great from the Boy till Zooropa and some of POP. But man have they been sucking after that. They sound very bland these days. Boots made me laugh so hard. It was amazing to see that the once great U2 have fallen so low. I heard they recorded 60 songs for "No Creativity on the Horizon". 60 songs recorded and Boots made the selection? How bad must those 52 discarded songs be?

They can't be worse than "Sounds of the Universe".
Which is a brilliant album by comparison. Sounds kicks "No creativity on the Horizon's" butt. it just kills "No Sincerity on the Horizon's" butt easily. Great record great songs. Sound of the Universe wins.

joegtheog

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 11:22:19 AM »
Some bands have a 'golden age' - Zooropa and POP was clearly U2's 'golden age' - the perfect place between creativity and acceptance.

Like lots of good things, they come to an end though. U2 built up to the Zooropa/POP period with mostly excellent albums (with the exception on the patchy Rattle and Hum).

Since POP, they have pretty much been treading water. Unsure if they should take artistic risks anymore at the risk of losing their audience. Why they have made this decision eludes me but there we are.

The jump from the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby was daring, bold, creative and plain inspired - their popularity increased massively. Clearly something U2 appear to have a pathological need for.

NLOTH is a step in the right direction but falls flat on its face - but, if they can keep their eyes on the prize, maybe they can be the genuinely great band they once were again.
Damn they WERE great from the Boy till Zooropa and some of POP. But man have they been sucking after that. They sound very bland these days. Boots made me laugh so hard. It was amazing to see that the once great U2 have fallen so low. I heard they recorded 60 songs for "No Creativity on the Horizon". 60 songs recorded and Boots made the selection? How bad must those 52 discarded songs be?

Which is a brilliant album by comparison. Sounds kicks "No creativity on the Horizon's" butt. it just kills "No Sincerity on the Horizon's" butt easily. Great record great songs. Sound of the Universe wins.

Accepting the award for "Most Delusional", here is Johnny Amsterdam!

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

And you're not delusional for calling "No Hope for another great record on the Horizon" a great record? What are you smoking man?

joegtheog

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »

And you're not delusional for calling "No Hope for another great record on the Horizon" a great record? What are you smoking man?

Nope, not delusional! And as far as "smoking", I ain't the one in Amsterdam.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »

So am delusional and your not because you say so? Yeah right. No line still stinks.

Bobo

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23:33 PM »

So am delusional and your not because you say so? Yeah right. No line still stinks.

So No Line stinks because you say so? hmmm.....is this JJ?

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
Looks like we beat jick, he doesnt seem to want to return to answer.  :D

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »
I'm just teasing - hence the tounge smiley lol

At least you're arn't really arrogant like Jick.

No but I can be  ;D

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »
Got any jick posts from 2003? Ya know, just rolling round your head.

You seem to keep track.

Little did I know, that just 6 minutes before:

This wasn't the one I was thinking of, I'll take another look tomorrow

"Damn! I thought only a few uneducated members of the U2 fanbase have not yet seen the art, the beauty, and the magic of POP. I never thought even the U2 members, producers and manager themselves are also ignorant of what lies beneath in the masterpiece that is POP. They are all blind! Who cares? Bono says it best "I'm happy to go blind." Don't worry U2, you are already blind!"

a "jick" post from 2002. 

WOW!

Mr.T is definately jick, this is like his RAGE sockpuppet that he can be a d**k with when he is feeling lonely and hurt by all the righteous slammings he gets for being such an ar**hole. He also seems to have an internet vendetta against JE...just a suggestion.  :D

Yeah, Mr. T brings up old posts of JE being ridiculous all the time. I can see the vendetta clearly.

Mr.T is our very own kicking ass

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yup, no vendetta there...

You don't see the irony in what you just randomly...said, instead of a decent reply, Mr.T?

So wait...when did I become Mr. T? Just pointing out the silly nature of bringing up posts from other forums that are 7 years old. It's kind of like when people argue over God, nobody changes their minds. When people over Jick (who I can assure you is not God) you don't prove anything either, because most of us have already made up our minds.

Lol, whoops my mistake aarond, I do sincerly apologise. That was of course meant for Mr.T. I am terribly tired at the moment and trying to have a civil discussion / argument with jick is like banging your head against a brick wall, as I am currently doing on other threads...again I'm sorry.

It's ok, we do seem to have several threads right now that could easily merge into one giant bowl for people to pi*s in to. I think I'm going to sit them out, since most of them are no longer (or never were) on topic or civil.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »

I understand what you're going for but POP wasn't really accepted by a lot of people who bought and also didn't buy that album. It was perhaps the most uncertain time period for U2. Even more so than Rattle & Hum & the Love Town Tour.

While I don't have any proof, it's probably only recently that a lot more people are coming around to liking POP when they had either hated it, misunderstood it, or didn't bother with it previously.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:09 AM »

I understand what you're going for but POP wasn't really accepted by a lot of people who bought and also didn't buy that album. It was perhaps the most uncertain time period for U2. Even more so than Rattle & Hum & the Love Town Tour.

While I don't have any proof, it's probably only recently that a lot more people are coming around to liking POP when they had either hated it, misunderstood it, or didn't bother with it previously.

Everyone I know loved POP (it even got good reviews from the press in Spain and France, Italy...) from the word go but what didn't like was that the shows had a greatest hits component to them, instead of more experimentation...

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 01:59:53 AM »

I loved POP when it came out. I don't really play it on a daily bases but still a good album. The only sing I really don't like is Playboy mansion. But please, velvet dress and wake up dead man are one of their best last three songs on an album. Funny I like the unfinished album version of Please far more better then the single version. I like the rawness of the album.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:06 AM »
I loved POP when it came out. I don't really play it on a daily bases but still a good album. The only sing I really don't like is Playboy mansion. But please, velvet dress and wake up dead man are one of their best last three songs on an album. Funny I like the unfinished album version of Please far more better then the single version. I like the rawness of the album.

There is a POP worship thread where these comments may be more appropriate.  Let me know if you need the link, I can PM it to you.

Cheers,

J

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »

There is a POP worship thread where these comments may be more appropriate.  Let me know if you need the link, I can PM it to you.

Cheers,

J

Please do

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »

Cheers,

J

Please do

I hope this helps:

Are you a newbie?

Cheers,

J