Author Topic: taking pics at gig!?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
taking pics at gig!?
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:25:08 AM »
Hi guys,
I know they let people in with their cameras. And i remember that, outside croke park, on the last tour they told us that non-professional cameras were ok. But i don't know what they mean by a professional camera? any idea? i got a Canon G10. its still a compact, is it regarded as a professional one? any camera geek on here?

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
Re: taking pics at gig!?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:49:07 AM »
I think the criteria for professional camera seems to be whether it has a detachable lens or not. If the lens is fixed it is generaly a compact, detachable lens and it gets classed a professional.

I think its because they don't want people with huge telephoto lens standing on the the front lol. Ive heard that smaller lenses are good though.

Hope I helped.

Mal

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:59:07 AM »
Think of tye of lens the paparazzi uses and they are professional! unless you ahev one of those types you are okay  ;)

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »
Probably if you need several bags to carry the lenses in, guaranteed it'd be classified as a pro camera. Your standard home camera would be ok

Offline bonio90

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:22:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi guys,
I know they let people in with their cameras. And i remember that, outside croke park, on the last tour they told us that non-professional cameras were ok. But i don't know what they mean by a professional camera? any idea? i got a Canon G10. its still a compact, is it regarded as a professional one? any camera geek on here?

i think its ok to take in an as expensive camera as you can, no problemo!  ;D ;D ;D

(but as i work on security confiscating photographic equipment my opinion may be slanted?)

mariamontreal

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »
Seeing I am not a professional photographer,  I will be taking as many pictures as possible. My profession is an Insurance Broker . I could show them my license that I carry with me . So for taking pictures , I do not see a problem like ohers have said, as long as there is not major equipment on you  you are ok. Can't wait !

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
thnkas for your answers so far. now i'm wondering if i take the risk to take my camera with me... worth 500 quid... thinking...

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »
Pro camera is usually if it has a detachable lens.......not sure if ANY cameras are allowed in the States though....check b4 you bring it, then have to go back to your car or leave it somewhere in the venue to pick up after the show!

Offline bonio90

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »
thnkas for your answers so far. now i'm wondering if i take the risk to take my camera with me... worth 500 quid... thinking...

500 Quid???  :o :o :o

yeah take it, take it...........

(mental note to self....re-fresh ebay account especially photo equipment category)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »
Pro camera is usually if it has a detachable lens.......not sure if ANY cameras are allowed in the States though....check b4 you bring it, then have to go back to your car or leave it somewhere in the venue to pick up after the show!

Normally your tickets will say "no photographic equipment". Mine don't mention anything at all. Chicago's Soldier Field's website says 'no lenses over 6"'. That seems reasonable to me. 
I am hoping to buy a decent digital with zoom that I can bring in.

Birdlover

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »
Nice camera! My friends got a G9, & has been very happy with it.

As most people have said, the general consensus is you'll be ok using a compact digital camera (ie. not a DSLR with detachable lenses). The G10 is deinitely one of the most advanced digital compacts, & also a pretty bulky one. So you may have a little more trouble - ummmm  but I'd say you'd be ok - errrrrr don't trust me on it.

For Sydney Vertigo 2, before GA went in they announced no cameras were allowed. I'd had the camera the previous night (just the average point-and-shoot digital), & had no problems. I was pretty bummed, but put my camera in the car anyway. At the last minute I had a change of heart, & got the camera out of the car. As we entered passed the security check (metal detectors etc.) I had my camera in my hand & security didn't bat an eyelid.

So I'd say quite often the "official" policy, & what is policed can be quite different. No to DSLR's, ok to a G10 (probably). Good luck!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 11:40:54 PM »
Generally...

compacts - OK
SLRs - not ok

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 04:01:28 AM »
Took my compact to Sydney Vertigo 1 & 3, with no dramas. These days, some of the mobile (cell) phones are capable of taking greater resolution pictures, so not sure how they could ever police that.

Word of advice -be wary of being so camera happy that you forget to enjoy the show. In hindsight, I think I had the camera in my face or was thinking about getting a good shot so often, that I lost perspective.

BTW. My current picture is of COEXIST up on the big screen

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 06:41:51 AM »
Just remember to turn the flash off while taking pictures.  ;D

My avatar to the left was taken from the front row in Washington D.C.  I was surprised it came out so well.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
<<<<<<<< That was a point and shoot panasonic film camera in 1998

Position, not camera is more important in my opinion.

Can have the best camera in the world but if you're in the back row you won't get a good shot. Well. Not as good as the one we'll all take from the rail :-)