Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 40945 times)

Offline heavenscloud

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »
"Password, you, enter here, right now" from unknown caller

surely they should have called the song "unknown User" then it would have more relevance to the song...

Offline Vision Over Visibility

• Babyface
  • I had the opinion it was Out of control
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
Wake up Dead Man - great song, the f-bomb is the right word, but it makes me have to be careful around my kids....we just don't use that kind of language around our home... :) (And we listen to alot of U2 on random shuffle)

From and earlier post:
"I'm wide awake/I'm not sleeping"  - could it be that it is meant to be redundant, as the subject of the song is an addict, maybe trying to convince his/herself?

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wake up Dead Man - great song, the f-bomb is the right word, but it makes me have to be careful around my kids....we just don't use that kind of language around our home... :) (And we listen to alot of U2 on random shuffle)

From and earlier post:
"I'm wide awake/I'm not sleeping"  - could it be that it is meant to be redundant, as the subject of the song is an addict, maybe trying to convince his/herself?

I agree - my kids know a lot less of the Pop album because I don't want the f-bomb to crop up when I am in the other room and they and their mom are in by the stereo.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
Yes, Pop isn't a particularly kid-friendly album. If your kids like Pop, they must have good taste. I could only get into that album when I was like 18.

Offline MJ

• Babyface
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
Don't know why, but the "air is heavy/heavy as a truck" line in Electrical Storm doesn't bother me. It's ... descriptive. :)

I agree. Although not 'perfect', but this line doesn't bother me at all ... LOVE the song!  ;)

Offline DarkRidley (Chief Kitty Kat Utilities Officer)

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Always just a touch away
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »
Yes, Pop isn't a particularly kid-friendly album. If your kids like Pop, they must have good taste. I could only get into that album when I was like 18.

Pop was one of of my first U2 albums, after Zooropa and ATYCLB, which I got in '04, around Bomb's release. I was only about 10, and I still loved it. I think it's an acquired taste in relation to other U2 albums, but by no means unaccessible to young people. I guess it helps that my parents are pretty liberal about swearing. :P

In regard to this thing about Bad's redundancy, I'd say it's a fair point, but the song is about the whole Eno "capture the moment" thing, and the lyrics were intentionally left as a sketch. As Vision Over Visibility pointed out, it is about an addict, and it's probably implying that the addict is trying to convince himself. Those implications, the emotions, the rawness, - they're all more important than Bad's literal lyrics in my view. Same thing with the whole "If I could/Yes, I would/If I could/I would" thing earlier on in the song.

On another note, I think that the "fish needs a bicycle" line is the best part of Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World. Always makes me chuckle, at the least.

Otherwise, I guess Grace is pretty cheesy for the most part, but I never had a huge issue with it. I can't really think of any other Bono lyrics I have a problem with. The Edge's "have another grape" thing was a bit silly, but not song-ruining.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:18:00 PM by DarkRidley »

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
I love that line from Wake Up Dead Man. Bono rarely swears on albums, so when he does it is of great significance. I find it evocative and powerful. It's not gratuitous cussing either, it's pretty heartfelt. It all depends on how tolerant you are to swearing, but for me it's not used in an aggressive tone and is there for a reason.

I largely agree, he almost never swears, it's evocative, and it's not gratuitous.  But it's still too jarring for me personally.  *shrug*

Didn't Bono drop and f-bomb at the Golden Globe Awards in 2003? I thought he did.  :-\
Gotcha. Yeah they were swearing a lot in U2 by U2, which made me a bit confused regarding that post up there about Bono almost never swearing.
I think he meant in studio. Bono swears all the time in concert and in interviews.

Offline kitegirlpdx

• Babyface
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2009, 12:34:08 AM »
U2's lyrics as a whole made a lot more sense after reading U2 by U2....
I think the term "Bonoese" was actually used to describe some the "free-Willying"  Bono does when he performs,  not to mention the indept description of bringing the music together....they described often getting a sound and a feel.....before lyrics were brought in..

It was amusing reading about how the Band never knew in the early days what exactly Bono would be belting out! 

Offline Jazz

• Refugee
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:15 AM »
Any of the Unkown Caller lyrics are truly awful.

Fave lyric:

'Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through alcohol,
Red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face
In a dry and waterless place'

Sublime!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:41:48 PM by Jazz »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »
Some Days Are Better Than Others is truly awful lyrically imo. Which is strange, because Zooropa has some of the best lyrics Bono has ever written.

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
After reading 11 pages of this thread...i guess im most surprised by the hatred of the song Grace.  For me..the song is beautiful.  It speaks of god..spirituality..like no other song ever has. I'm not a person who usually turns to songs about God..but this one for me says it all. Many people confuse the meaning of the word "grace".  It is a concept that some do not understand.  To do something for others..without wanting anything in return..complete selflessness..

"She travels outside of Karma"...grace is meaningful because you are not doing something for others because you think if you dont..it may come back at ya.  You are showing grace...just because. period.

"Grace makes beauty of of ugly things"...
for some reason when i hear that line i think of 9/11.  The grace that most every human being showed toward one another..without wanting anything in return.  Reaching out to others..

okay..im done.  Grace is just a beautiful tune. sorry for going off topic a bit..

Offline Darkstar

• Refugee
  • Shall we go, you and I while we can?
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2009, 04:57:43 AM »
Does redundancy count?

"I'm wide awake/I'm not sleeping"

Actually, this is one of my favorite lines. I know a lot of people who are wide awake, but sleepwalking through their lives, heck I used to be like that. I've even used that line to teach my kids about being politically and socially aware. Anyway, that's what the line means to me.

Offline Immy1992

• Elevated
  • oh sugar, don't you cry
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
'from the womb/my first cry/it was a joyful noise.' - what?

'my father is a rich man/he wears a rich mans cloak/gave me the keys to his kingdom/gave me a cup of gold - OK, i understand he's speaking metaphorically, but his dad worked in a post office...

I think Bono's problem is he's not articulate enough for his intelligence. He has an incredible mind, and is really deep, even philosophical, but generally he just can't communicate it. I'll be fair though, SOMETIMES, he does get it spot on.

I still love the music though, and Bono too  ;D

Offline Vision Over Visibility

• Babyface
  • I had the opinion it was Out of control
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »

'my father is a rich man/he wears a rich mans cloak/gave me the keys to his kingdom/gave me a cup of gold - OK, i understand he's speaking metaphorically, but his dad worked in a post office...

I think Bono's problem is he's not articulate enough for his intelligence. He has an incredible mind, and is really deep, even philosophical, but generally he just can't communicate it. I'll be fair though, SOMETIMES, he does get it spot on.

being a father , the first cry of my children as they were born was certainly a joyful noise to me...

and I believe Bono is speaking of his Heavenly Father in "For The First time", not about his earthly one.

All of these 12 pages of comments have made me re-examine what I love about U2, their music and their message, and Bono gave me the answer himself:  "The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear"....if we were to hear from him I have a feeling that he would admit that he doesn't take himself too seriously...I mean look at the guy try to dance  :).

kitegirlpdx, I agree that U2 By U2 really made things clear to me as to the organic nature of their songwriting.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2009, 08:18:44 AM »

I'd agree with that actually. Bono is capable of writing truly brilliant lyrics, but it doesn't quite work all the the time. Clearly the intelligence is there, but articulating it is sometimes harder. He's like an unschooled genius.