Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 40534 times)

Offline Scooter79

• Babyface
Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2009, 09:26:39 PM »
Oh and I do have a question. I was under the impression that Original of the Species was written to one of Bono's daughters. Is that so? If it is, the following lines become somewhat disturbing.

"And you feel like no one before
You steal right under my door
I kneel 'cause I want you some more"

Offline R3dLight [<33s TJ]

• Elevated
  • Plant a demon seed, you raise a flower of fire
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2009, 06:42:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh and I do have a question. I was under the impression that Original of the Species was written to one of Bono's daughters. Is that so? If it is, the following lines become somewhat disturbing.

haha..thats funny...well maybe he ment something else than what ur thinking, although it is really disturbing in a sence

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2009, 07:59:51 AM »

See I always thought those lines were completely meaningless and throwaway, I'm not sure what they mean, if indeed anything. I've always considered this song to be vastly overrated (amongst U2 fans anyway). For me it's nowhere near the best song on that album.

Offline Fan since 14

• Babyface
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »
"These days are better than that"

"have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head"

all the technology references in NLOTH

Offline floppy-angel

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Interllectual Tortoise? what the hell

and Bono says he isnt on drugsĀ  :-\ *ducks*

It just sounds like something my druggie friend would say!

I will think of some more and come back later!

Lol it's the whole phrase that gives it meaning:

"An intellectual tortoise racing with a bullet train..."

Like the turtle & the hare story.

Anyway, I like it.

But what I hate are all the computer function references in unknown caller.  All I got out of that is that Bono uses a Mac!

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2009, 03:58:19 AM »

"have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head"

I have to disagree here, that one is one of his best lines, in my opinion. Alas, one of the few times that he mentions Jesus without making me cringe...

joegtheog

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
"A woman needs a man
Like a fish needs a bicycle"

Lovely sublime groove totally wrecked.

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2009, 10:15:56 AM »
"A woman needs a man

That's not Bono's. I think Gloria Steinem said it.

joegtheog

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
Yeah, it still don't belong in the song. Completely out of place.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2009, 12:06:09 PM »
That is what I appreciate about u2's song writing.  When I hear a quirky line or two, it makes me want to understand what is being referenced.  Take a song like "Until the ENd of the World".  If you listen to the first lines...

"We ate the food, we drank the wine, everyone's havin' a good time...except you"  Sounded like strange lyrics about some boring date Bono took to a dinner party.  But putting it in the context of a conversation between Judas and Jesus without using obvious lyrics, make the song that much more intriguing.  The scent of a baby's head, fish and bicycles, Re-booting one's self, all serve a purpose, like them or not. 

joegtheog

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »
That is what I appreciate about u2's song writing.  When I hear a quirky line or two, it makes me want to understand what is being referenced.  Take a song like "Until the ENd of the World".  If you listen to the first lines...

"We ate the food, we drank the wine, everyone's havin' a good time...except you"  Sounded like strange lyrics about some boring date Bono took to a dinner party.  But putting it in the context of a conversation between Judas and Jesus without using obvious lyrics, make the song that much more intriguing.  The scent of a baby's head, fish and bicycles, Re-booting one's self, all serve a purpose, like them or not. 

I am in total agreeance.  I just think it sounded bad in the context of that song.  Bono whisper-rapping it in the Fly, now THAT would have been better, IMO.

Offline PeterGriffinHero

• Babyface
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2009, 07:28:06 AM »
Ultraviolet.  Great song, especially live, but I think on the album Bono knows how lame the lyrics are when he says "I guess that's the price of love/I know it's not cheap."

Crazy Tonight.  Once again, great song.  There's a lyric in the first verse "Everybody needs to cry or needs to spit/every sweet tooth needs just a little hit/every beauty needs to go out with an idiot."  What?!

Offline PeterGriffinHero

• Babyface
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »
"A woman needs a man

I actually love this lyric.  Don't know why, it's just silly.  And the album version's already so weird with edge harmonizing (?) over Bono's improvised melody.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »
"A woman needs a man

I actually love this lyric.  Don't know why, it's just silly.  And the album version's already so weird with edge harmonizing (?) over Bono's improvised melody.

Well, let's not forget that the line about woman and fish is preceded in the song by:

Nothin' much to say I guess
Just the same as all the rest
Been tryin' to throw my arms around the world

Nothing much for Bono to say, so he just talks the first thing that comes to his mind... Makes sense!  ;D

However, that line has indeed a meaning. It's simply just a quirky way of saying that women do not need men. It was written by a feminist, apparently (Gloria Steinem), so it's kind of understandable...

lauren

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »

Good question.  I think I have heard them say at different times that the song is about Edge's or Bono's oldest daughter, but there are some lines that don't fit in with that.   I love the song either way but I would be interested to know what the deal is with that.

In other songs, I like a lot of their silly lines (mole digging in a hole, intellectual tortoise, let me in the sound) but could do without most of the lyrics to Playboy Mansion and Miami, I think "it's the name for a girl" really drags that song down, and I agree with Fan since 14 about technology references on NLOTH.