Author Topic: what bono and the band should do now.. the future  (Read 8699 times)

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« on: April 25, 2009, 03:53:58 AM »
i believe the games over and bono should grow old gracefully making the odd one off public appearance maybe in a similar fashion to leonard cohen, perhaps where a hat around?
the band should just let there credibitibilty and influence grow, they wont be forgetten.

release songs of ascent then gracefully hand over the reigns to the killers and kings of leon

Offline pilgrimtogo

• Numb
  • ALL THE SECRETS, NO ONE TO TELL
Re: what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:17:42 AM »
dream on!

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 04:37:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
dream on!

+1

Mal

Offline Jazz

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:52:31 AM »

Make the kinds of albums they're capable of - not like the last 2

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »

In order to make the albums they're capable of, it needs to be their higher priority.

I'm pleasantly surprised NLOTH is as good as it is (which isn't great) after HTDAAB, given all their distractions: Bono's politicking, U2 Tower, Clarence hotel, Malibu construction projects, endless vacations, etc.

No, I'm NOT criticizing them for all of the above, just saying that the last time music seemed to be #1 priority in their lives seemed to be with Pop, which woul dexplain why nothing has been as good since. I'm sure they're still capable of it, they just need to want it.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »

In order to make the albums they're capable of, it needs to be their higher priority.

I'm pleasantly surprised NLOTH is as good as it is (which isn't great) after HTDAAB, given all their distractions: Bono's politicking, U2 Tower, Clarence hotel, Malibu construction projects, endless vacations, etc.

No, I'm NOT criticizing them for all of the above, just saying that the last time music seemed to be #1 priority in their lives seemed to be with Pop, which woul dexplain why nothing has been as good since. I'm sure they're still capable of it, they just need to want it.

I think our expectations are over blown. i think they put all they could into this album and every album. i won't say that the mentioned side projects didn't interfere with the end product, but saying they just don't want it as bad is a bit bold. i see where you're coming from, but NOTHING had been good since? for a lack of focus or priority?

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
dream on!

+1

Mal

I second that

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:04:26 AM »

I think our expectations are over blown. i think they put all they could into this album and every album. i won't say that the mentioned side projects didn't interfere with the end product, but saying they just don't want it as bad is a bit bold. i see where you're coming from, but NOTHING had been good since? for a lack of focus or priority?

Focus or priority ??? hmmm......I'm going to cop out and say both.

That's how it comes across, I believe the band even were getting frustrated with Bono during HTDAAB for the same reasons.

to be honest, when it comes to the expectations thing, mine were exceeded by NLOTH and I don't think it's that great, not yet anyway.

I just don't think we'll ever see another JT or AB type masterpiece until the band is hungry enough to want it, it doesn't APPEAR they do these days but none of us are privy to their inner workings.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 09:07:13 AM »

Focus or priority ??? hmmm......I'm going to cop out and say both.

That's how it comes across, I believe the band even were getting frustrated with Bono during HTDAAB for the same reasons.

to be honest, when it comes to the expectations thing, mine were exceeded by NLOTH and I don't think it's that great, not yet anyway.

I just don't think we'll ever see another JT or AB type masterpiece until the band is hungry enough to want it, it doesn't APPEAR they do these days but none of us are privy to their inner workings.

I'll respectfully continue to disagree.
I do have high hopes for Songs of Ascent...

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
I just wish they'd make another couple of albums after this that arn't trying to please every man & his dog y'know?

They still are capable of sheer greatness. See 'Moment of Surrender' or 'Cedars of Lebanon'. Now is the time to do whatever they feel like again.

Offline GiacomoHoldini

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »

Honestly, I'm thinking the new album demonstrates what they are capable of, and unfortunately I don't mean that as a compliment.  In other words, I don't think the current state of their music is for lack of wanting or effort on the band's part, but rather their collective instincts and tastes may have gotten to a point where they are no longer capable of the greatness they showed either on Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.  Case in point, they took over two years to record NLOTH, and in my opinion, that effort resulted in many songs that are overproduced and overdeveloped, and in a song selection that is underwhelming.  (Really, out of the 50 or so songs they claim to have recorded for the project, Crazy and Boots were in the top eleven?  How is it the Mac speak on Unknown Caller managed to get the thumbs up?)  Add to that the fact that the band members honestly seem to believe this stands a good chance of being their best album ever, and I have to think this really is the best the band can do now.  I still love 'em, but a lot of that love is based on what they did in the past, and that their present doesn't completely discredit it.

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

Honestly, I'm thinking the new album demonstrates what they are capable of, and unfortunately I don't mean that as a compliment.  In other words, I don't think the current state of their music is for lack of wanting or effort on the band's part, but rather their collective instincts and tastes may have gotten to a point where they are no longer capable of the greatness they showed either on Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.  Case in point, they took over two years to record NLOTH, and in my opinion, that effort resulted in many songs that are overproduced and overdeveloped, and in a song selection that is underwhelming.  (Really, out of the 50 or so songs they claim to have recorded for the project, Crazy and Boots were in the top eleven?  How is it the Mac speak on Unknown Caller managed to get the thumbs up?)  Add to that the fact that the band members honestly seem to believe this stands a good chance of being their best album ever, and I have to think this really is the best the band can do now.  I still love 'em, but a lot of that love is based on what they did in the past, and that their present doesn't completely discredit it.

This is kinda true but again, I believe on songs like 'Moment of Surrender', 'No Line on the Horizon' & 'Cedars' they still show they more than capable of epic tunes. It's just a shame they didn't include more of the experimental stuff on there.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
I'm a new fan, and so I have a different perspective on the band.

To me U2 is a band that is continuing to grow. They change in each phase, gaining new insight and inspiration from all their diversions. You cannot create music without inspiration, without 'outside interests'. Otherwise it becomes just a rehashing of the stuff you've done before.

I think of it as watching a child grow. Some changes are welcomed, some (the classic NO! stage for example) less so. Each of us has their own favorite albums and not so favorite albums. They are still all U2.

I choose to follow this band because I like most of what they do musically and all that they do politically. Some others find a different mix to their liking. That is fine.

The biggest thing for me is to give them room to grow. To find that thing that makes them want to perform. For if they are happy, they're bound to make at least some of us happy.

If you don't like something, don't listen to it. But please don't try to tell them how to grow. That is, and always has been, up to them.  I think they're doing a GREAT job!

Birdlover

Offline GiacomoHoldini

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »
The biggest thing for me is to give them room to grow [...] please don't try to tell them how to grow. That is, and always has been, up to them.

I certainly don't have the cojones to attempt to tell the band how to grow.  But what you're saying presupposes that this album is actually a sign of growth.  It's just my opinion, but I don't see it that way.  Rather, I see the album as a collection of a lot of previous U2 tropes - the repeated presence of chanted, Eno-esque "ohs" which first appeared on Pride, Edge's borrowed riffs from "The Fly" and "Walk On," the clumsy attempt by "Boots" to repeat the success of "Vertigo" - all assembled into a package that isn't sure what it wants to be.  All throughout this album, I keep being struck by how it sounds like U2 trying to grow, but repeating themselves instead.  Which isn't to say I think it's a horrible album; I certainly don't.  But I also certainly don't see it as anywhere near their best, as the band evidently does.  And I won't even comment on how it measures up to Daniel Lanois's comment that the term "rock and roll" will have to be redefined in the wake of the album.  Sorry if I seem overly negative about it - I guess this is what happens when you wait nearly five years for a new album from your favorite band, only to be disappointed by it.  I'd be much more accepting of mixed bags if they released them every couple of years.  In fact, if they just forced themselves to put out more albums, instead of fussing over them to the point of obsession, maybe they would grow more.  Oops...I guess I just did tell them how to grow.  OK, strike that.   ;)

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
dream on!

+1

Mal

Amen.