Author Topic: what bono and the band should do now.. the future  (Read 8698 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Re: what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 07:41:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i believe the games over and bono should grow old gracefully making the odd one off public appearance maybe in a similar fashion to leonard cohen, perhaps where a hat around?
the band should just let there credibitibilty and influence grow, they wont be forgetten.

release songs of ascent then gracefully hand over the reigns to the killers and kings of leon

The killers and kings of leon are not even near in the same league as U2.  U2 has done some of the biggest and innovative tours in rock history.  Brandon Flowers can talk that U2 should call it quits, but talk is cheap. What have they accomplished? There still only good enough to be openers, if that.  Maybe Brandon can get a job fetching Bono water on this tour, so he can really see up close how it is done.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
Now the band should rehearse for ther upcoming tour and make sure all shows have uniform quality.

For the future, the band should start thinking about being a singles-only band so they can keep up with the newcomers out to snatch their thrones.

Cheers,

J

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
Now the band should rehearse for ther upcoming tour and make sure all shows have uniform quality.

For the future, the band should start thinking about being a singles-only band so they can keep up with the newcomers out to snatch their thrones.

Cheers,

J

You can't tour with only making singles now and again.  And by the way there is no one even close to snatching their thrones.  When U2 retires it's time to turn off the stadium lights.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

Cheers,

J

*sigh*

I give up

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:31:19 AM by u2matters »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
They should try to stick to their initial song ideas for once and not re-work them over and over again until they are unrecognizable from their sources, because the heart is in the spontaneous demo, not in the overpolished track on ProTools, though the latter surely requires the mind.

But who am I to ask? If they are going to be as spontaneous as I hope they would be, they would not listen to me.

I wish they wouldn't care what kind of song ideas test well with their audience and instead do their thing as they feel it fits.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
I think that with "No Line on the Horizon" they tried to mix many different things: "The Unforgettable Fire", "Achtung Baby", "Pop", and "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" all mashed up together into this. I love the album, but it is still no "Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby". Those were epics; creations of a band in their absolute prime. However, I think the boys from Dublin have great music ahead of them. Bono said that he's not sure where it's gonna go, it might get harder, it might get softer. I'd like to see them try both. If they can channel their energy from "Achtung Baby" for their next pieces of work, it will put them completely over any other band that has lasted so long. I think "Breathe" is the best example of what is to come from them; and this album is just the start of another great string of albums like came out in the early nineties. We'll see what happens next.

Revolver7

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 03:36:05 PM »
Now, I'm trying to get anyone angry or upset, but if you ask most kids my age (17) which rock bands they like, you usually here Coldplay, Kings of Leon, or The Killers mentioned. I've only known 1 person in real life who likes U2, and that's because I got that person into their music

Of course, U2 will always by the biggest band to those who love them, and to a certain age group, but I feel like they've lost of lot of their influence on young people overall.

I mean, right now, U2's new album has sold around 780,000 copies. Viva La Vida has sold around 2 and a 1/2 million copies. Day & Age has sold about 600,000 copies. And Only by The Night has sold around 570,000 copies (and that's bound to go up)

My point is, things on the Rock N' Roll Throne are not as clear cut as they used to be. U2's new material hasn't really made a significant impact with single sales or radio play, while The Killers, Kings of Leon, and Coldplay have.

U2 has the bigger tour numbers, but they've been around for almost 30 years, and they have a big catalog of older songs that people want to see live.

While I'm not a fan of No Line, I'm not attacking U2 or anything like that. I'm just saying, the idea of U2 being the biggest rock band in the world isn't as undisputed as it used to be
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:38:30 PM by Revolver7 »

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
Now, I'm trying to get anyone angry or upset, but if you ask most kids my age (17) which rock bands they like, you usually here Coldplay, Kings of Leon, or The Killers mentioned. I've only known 1 person in real life who likes U2, and that's because I got that person into their music

Of course, U2 will always by the biggest band to those who love them, and to a certain age group, but I feel like they've lost of lot of their influence on young people overall.

I mean, right now, U2's new album has sold around 780,000 copies. Viva La Vida has sold around 2 and a 1/2 million copies. Day & Age has sold about 600,000 copies. And Only by The Night has sold around 570,000 copies (and that's bound to go up)

My point is, things on the Rock N' Roll Throne are not as clear cut as they used to be. U2's new material hasn't really made a significant impact with single sales or radio play, while The Killers, Kings of Leon, and Coldplay have.

U2 has the bigger tour numbers, but they've been around for almost 30 years, and they have a big catalog of older songs that people want to see live.

While I'm not a fan of No Line, I'm not attacking U2 or anything like that. I'm just saying, the idea of U2 being the biggest rock band in the world isn't as undisputed as it used to be
I'm 39 years old, so I don't care what groups that people age 17 like or dislike even though U2 may want to attract this group.  I'm more of a classic rock listener so I couldn't even name you 2 songs from those 3 groups you mentioned.  I do know that they not in the same class as U2, Stones, Who etc.  Although U2 may not sell as many records as they used to or against some of these bands you mentioned, they are without a doubt the biggest live attraction in the world which in my opinion carries more weight than album sales when determining "the biggest band in the world" as this actually shows the amount of people willing to come out and see you play.  Coldplay, killers, kings of leon are miles behind U2 on this level.  There was an article actually a few years back in my local paper in Toronto on U2 and what goes into the Biggest band in the world status and album sales was actually lower down the list after how big a concert draw you are, influence on a generation and critical acclaim from not only the press but your peers.  It went on to say that U2 will probably the last Big band that we see and when they retire it will be time to turn off the stadium lights.  The undisputed and still heavyweight rock band in the world, without a doubt-U2.  Those other band can compete in the middleweight division.  By the way wasn't that impressed by KOL when the opened up for U2 during Vertigo.  If that is their main threat U2 has nothing to worry about. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:06:11 PM by boom boom »

Revolver7

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »
I'm 39 years old, so I don't care what groups that people age 17 like or dislike even though U2 may want to attract this group.  I'm more of a classic rock listener so I couldn't even name you 2 songs from those 3 groups you mentioned.  I do know that they not in the same class as U2, Stones, Who etc.  Although U2 may not sell as many records as they used to or against some of these bands you mentioned, they are without a doubt the biggest live attraction in the world which in my opinion carries more weight than album sales when determining "the biggest band in the world" as this actually shows the amount of people willing to come out and see you play.  Coldplay, killers, kings of leon are miles behind U2 on this level.  There was an article actually a few years back in my local paper in Toronto on U2 and what goes into the Biggest band in the world status and album sales was actually lower down the list after how big a concert draw you are, influence on a generation and critical acclaim from not only the press but your peers.  It went on to say that U2 will probably the last Big band that we see and when they retire it will be time to turn off the stadium lights.  The undisputed and still heavyweight rock band in the world, without a doubt-U2.  Those other band can compete in the middleweight division.  By the way wasn't that impressed by KOL when the opened up for U2 during Vertigo.  If that is their main threat U2 has nothing to worry about. 

If being the biggest live act was all that was necessary to be the biggest band in the world, then U2 would have never taken the title from The Rolling Stones in the first place

Rolling Stone named U2 "the band of the 80's" in 1985. They were an incredible live act at that time, but their tours weren't the biggest ticket sellers, compared to Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, and other bands who were big at the time.

My point is, there's more to being the biggest band than ticket sales or album sales. It's much deeper than that.

And also, "biggest band" and "best band" are not synonymous. A news paper article in Toronto may have it's opinion that there will never be another big band, but as long as music is being made, there definitely will be. It's foolish logic, in my opinion, to say "there will never be this.." or "there will never be that..." because frankly, none of us know

Every generation has its own band. While there are some people of "my" generation who listen to U2, U2 is definitely not "the band" of my generation, and their new material isn't really influencing our generation. It's not like how it was with the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Those albums influenced lots of bands and artists.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:12:41 PM by Revolver7 »

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 02:12:34 AM »

Make the kinds of albums they're capable of - not like the last 2

Honestly, I'm thinking the new album demonstrates what they are capable of, and unfortunately I don't mean that as a compliment.  In other words, I don't think the current state of their music is for lack of wanting or effort on the band's part, but rather their collective instincts and tastes may have gotten to a point where they are no longer capable of the greatness they showed either on Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.  Case in point, they took over two years to record NLOTH, and in my opinion, that effort resulted in many songs that are overproduced and overdeveloped, and in a song selection that is underwhelming.  (Really, out of the 50 or so songs they claim to have recorded for the project, Crazy and Boots were in the top eleven?  How is it the Mac speak on Unknown Caller managed to get the thumbs up?)  Add to that the fact that the band members honestly seem to believe this stands a good chance of being their best album ever, and I have to think this really is the best the band can do now.  I still love 'em, but a lot of that love is based on what they did in the past, and that their present doesn't completely discredit it.

This is kinda true but again, I believe on songs like 'Moment of Surrender', 'No Line on the Horizon' & 'Cedars' they still show they more than capable of epic tunes. It's just a shame they didn't include more of the experimental stuff on there.
it's because they got scared after POP and been directionless ever since. If they overcome their fear and become fearless again great music will come again. But until then we're stuck with this sh**. Oh who am I kidding they're just fullfilling their contract will obligatory uninspired recordings.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 03:11:12 AM »
Johnny Amsterdam, if all you have to do in your life is come on to a U2 forum and slag the band relentlessly, you SERIOUSLY need a hobby.

Offline tohydroman

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
U2 is of a different generation. My generation. I'm 40yrs old. U2 as far as I'm concerned is the biggest band in the world with no worries from the KOL or Coldplay, etc as that number will always be associated with ticket draws/ sales. 
More people will see this concert by the time it's done than any other concert in history and will make the most money in concert going history.
That gives them the title of "Biggest Band in The World".
They also came out with an album at a very bad time. Trying to compare Coldplays sales from when they issued it and U2 and NLOTH, is comparing apples and oranges. Since the bad economy, if you compare artists album sales worldwide U2 are doing fantasic sales in this time. Coldplays album came out way before the bottom fell out.
I am glad to hear that you do like U2 though and I'm sure that if you get the opportunity to see this tour, you'll realize what us old farts are talking about. Great back cataloge and greatest live act of all time with a very very close second to Queen or even a tie! lol!

Take care.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
Johnny Amsterdam, if all you have to do in your life is come on to a U2 forum and slag the band relentlessly, you SERIOUSLY need a hobby.

i was about to say something similar. Johnny Amsterdam has every right to vent his frustrations with his favorite band, but does he always have to take the pi*s? If he hates the album that much - then why stoke the fire by coming out here all the time and reminding himself of it? We get it. We've read your sign. You hate the album, and everything after pop.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
i believe the games over and bono should grow old gracefully making the odd one off public appearance maybe in a similar fashion to leonard cohen, perhaps where a hat around?
the band should just let there credibitibilty and influence grow, they wont be forgetten.

release songs of ascent then gracefully hand over the reigns to the killers and kings of leon

The killers and kings of leon are not even near in the same league as U2.  U2 has done some of the biggest and innovative tours in rock history.  Brandon Flowers can talk that U2 should call it quits, but talk is cheap. What have they accomplished? There still only good enough to be openers, if that.  Maybe Brandon can get a job fetching Bono water on this tour, so he can really see up close how it is done.
To be honest: I really don't like the Killers. Don't like kings of Leon either. The Killers are one of the most fake bands since Oasis. Damn greta lyrics Are human or are we dancer? Who gives a sh**. Liked Hunter s Thompson's idea behind it better. Thanks for making that line suck Brandon.

Revolver7

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 11:18:25 AM »
More people will see this concert by the time it's done than any other concert in history and will make the most money in concert going history.
That gives them the title of "Biggest Band in The World".

If that was all that made a band the Biggest Band in The World, then U2 would be getting the title for the first time just now. The Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" grossed more than Vertigo, and was seen by more people...

Do you see what I'm saying?