Author Topic: what bono and the band should do now.. the future  (Read 8697 times)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
Re: what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
More people will see this concert by the time it's done than any other concert in history and will make the most money in concert going history.
That gives them the title of "Biggest Band in The World".

If that was all that made a band the Biggest Band in The World, then U2 would be getting the title for the first time just now. The Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" grossed more than Vertigo, and was seen by more people...

Do you see what I'm saying?
Well both ain't selling a great amount of records. Rolling stones for the last 30 years an u2 recently. Nut their tours sell out. Yeah everybody loves a freakshow. I'm actually thinking about buying a ticket for the upcoming rolling stones show. Maybe Keith will buy it on stage this time.

Offline tohydroman

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
Sorry Revolver7, you were right with the higher grossing tour but not with the attendace figures. The Stones made more money than U2 due to the much higher average price of their tickets. Their nose bleed seats were cheaper but almost every other ticket was way more expensive than what U2 fans are complaining about with the 360 tour lately.
More people witnessed the Vertigo Tour than A Bigger Bang.
But also... if U2 is going to shatter all concert records with this tour and still outsell or match all artists that have released albums since this downshift in the economy,( Coldplay  ) doesn't count again due to it's release before the bottom fell out, then that alone pretty well answers the question to this thread thaat was started.  They should continue to do what they are doing right now... keep making albums and touring because again, they match other relevent artists since the down turn and destroy everybody in concert attendance and soon to be sales.
This could turn out to shatter A Bigger Bang by a couple hundred million if not more.

Revolver7

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »
Sorry Revolver7, you were right with the higher grossing tour but not with the attendace figures. The Stones made more money than U2 due to the much higher average price of their tickets. Their nose bleed seats were cheaper but almost every other ticket was way more expensive than what U2 fans are complaining about with the 360 tour lately.
But also... if U2 is going to shatter all concert records with this tour and still outsell or match all artists that have released albums since this downshift in the economy,( Coldplay  ) doesn't count again due to it's release before the bottom fell out, then that alone pretty well answers the question to this thread thaat was started.  They should continue to do what they are doing right now... keep making albums and touring because again, they match other relevent artists since the down turn and destroy everybody in concert attendance and soon to be sales.
This could turn out to shatter A Bigger Bang by a couple hundred million if not more.

Do you know what the exact numbers of the attendance figures are? It said the Vertigo Tour sold 4,619,021 tickets. The Rolling Stones played to 2 Million People at a concert in Rio de Janeiro alone...

I'm not trying to be an a**hole. I've just never seen it said anywhere that more people witnessed the Vertigo Tour

And as far as albums go, I'm not just talking about Coldplay. I'm aware that you can't compare June of 2008 to March of 2009. That's why I also mentioned Kings of Leon and The Killers. No Line is outselling Day & Age and Only By The Night by about 180,000 copies. 

Now, when it comes to album sales, you can't say that U2 is the biggest band in the world just because of a relatively small lead. Back in '91, U2 was widely considered the biggest band in the world. Achtung Baby only sold 8 million copies, while other rock contemporaries such as Pearl Jam and Nirvana sold 13 Million copies and 10 million copies with their albums that were released at the same time.

U2, in my opinion, was considered the biggest band back then because of the quality of their music and their innovation. The were part of the culture, part of the times, part of the Zeitgeist. 

Zoo TV was a great success, as far as ticket sales go, but it was outsold by other Rolling Stones tours in the 90's (Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon)

And that pretty much sums up my point; you can be the biggest band in the world without having the highest grossing tour, or the highest selling album, because you also have to take into account the artistic merit of music, the quality of the music, the impact of the music, and the influence that it has on the culture

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »

Do you know what the exact numbers of the attendance figures are? It said the Vertigo Tour sold 4,619,021 tickets. The Rolling Stones played to 2 Million People at a concert in Rio de Janeiro alone...

I'm not trying to be an a**hole. I've just never seen it said anywhere that more people witnessed the Vertigo Tour

And as far as albums go, I'm not just talking about Coldplay. I'm aware that you can't compare June of 2008 to March of 2009. That's why I also mentioned Kings of Leon and The Killers. No Line is outselling Day & Age and Only By The Night by about 180,000 copies. 

Now, when it comes to album sales, you can't say that U2 is the biggest band in the world just because of a relatively small lead. Back in '91, U2 was widely considered the biggest band in the world. Achtung Baby only sold 8 million copies, while other rock contemporaries such as Pearl Jam and Nirvana sold 13 Million copies and 10 million copies with their albums that were released at the same time.

U2, in my opinion, was considered the biggest band back then because of the quality of their music and their innovation. The were part of the culture, part of the times, part of the Zeitgeist. 

Zoo TV was a great success, as far as ticket sales go, but it was outsold by other Rolling Stones tours in the 90's (Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon)

And that pretty much sums up my point; you can be the biggest band in the world without having the highest grossing tour, or the highest selling album, because you also have to take into account the artistic merit of music, the quality of the music, the impact of the music, and the influence that it has on the culture
That's why I loved them them in that era
they really tapped into the the Zeitgeist and creatively thrived. was a great time But most of the hardcore  fans are just very ignorant in thinking that U2 is creatively as big as they here in those day. They're absolutely not.

They did killer songs and killer music in the 80 and found a way to elate it into some that looked and sounded beyond good. They were that good. Now they're struggling for ideas and it all happened after POP when they had to try to make music. Before they just did it and great things happen. Self-doubt killed the fire.

They never shouldn't listened to their fans and just shouldn't followed the road they were on. but they got scared and have been struggling to find the fire back ever since. and boys it ain't working. Just let go and go all the way or hang it up. Be fearless again of please quit.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 03:36:16 PM »
What should they do?

Rock on!  Let er rip.  Tear the joint down.  Leave no prisoners.  Put the roll back in rock. or,

Do what they always do!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
I'm a new fan, and so I have a different perspective on the band.

To me U2 is a band that is continuing to grow. They change in each phase, gaining new insight and inspiration from all their diversions. You cannot create music without inspiration, without 'outside interests'. Otherwise it becomes just a rehashing of the stuff you've done before.

I think of it as watching a child grow. Some changes are welcomed, some (the classic NO! stage for example) less so. Each of us has their own favorite albums and not so favorite albums. They are still all U2.

I choose to follow this band because I like most of what they do musically and all that they do politically. Some others find a different mix to their liking. That is fine.

The biggest thing for me is to give them room to grow. To find that thing that makes them want to perform. For if they are happy, they're bound to make at least some of us happy.

If you don't like something, don't listen to it. But please don't try to tell them how to grow. That is, and always has been, up to them.  I think they're doing a GREAT job!

Birdlover

Beautifully put, Birdlover! ;)

Offline tohydroman

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
Sorry again Revolver7 but you're not comparing apples with apples again. Anybody and their mother will come to any concert including Rio De Janero especially when it's FREE! Yes free, that shouldn't even be included with their tour. If that was the case then shouldn't Paul Simon be the king if you include his Central Park free shows in NY?
And getting back to album sales, if they are selling 180,000 more copies than the supposed heirs to their throne, then I would say to keep on rocking because they're still on top.
And by the way The Stones played to 3,623,849 people with 114 shows. Like I said, Vertigo played to much more and just imagine if U2 charged what the Stones charged.
Just Google it if you don't believe me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:59:37 PM by tohydroman »

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
i believe the games over and bono should grow old gracefully making the odd one off public appearance maybe in a similar fashion to leonard cohen, perhaps where a hat around?
the band should just let there credibitibilty and influence grow, they wont be forgetten.

release songs of ascent then gracefully hand over the reigns to the killers and kings of leon

To the Killers and KOL?

Quit the dope mate....

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
I'm 39 years old, so I don't care what groups that people age 17 like or dislike even though U2 may want to attract this group.  I'm more of a classic rock listener so I couldn't even name you 2 songs from those 3 groups you mentioned.  I do know that they not in the same class as U2, Stones, Who etc.  Although U2 may not sell as many records as they used to or against some of these bands you mentioned, they are without a doubt the biggest live attraction in the world which in my opinion carries more weight than album sales when determining "the biggest band in the world" as this actually shows the amount of people willing to come out and see you play.  Coldplay, killers, kings of leon are miles behind U2 on this level.  There was an article actually a few years back in my local paper in Toronto on U2 and what goes into the Biggest band in the world status and album sales was actually lower down the list after how big a concert draw you are, influence on a generation and critical acclaim from not only the press but your peers.  It went on to say that U2 will probably the last Big band that we see and when they retire it will be time to turn off the stadium lights.  The undisputed and still heavyweight rock band in the world, without a doubt-U2.  Those other band can compete in the middleweight division.  By the way wasn't that impressed by KOL when the opened up for U2 during Vertigo.  If that is their main threat U2 has nothing to worry about. 

If being the biggest live act was all that was necessary to be the biggest band in the world, then U2 would have never taken the title from The Rolling Stones in the first place

Rolling Stone named U2 "the band of the 80's" in 1985. They were an incredible live act at that time, but their tours weren't the biggest ticket sellers, compared to Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, and other bands who were big at the time.

My point is, there's more to being the biggest band than ticket sales or album sales. It's much deeper than that.

And also, "biggest band" and "best band" are not synonymous. A news paper article in Toronto may have it's opinion that there will never be another big band, but as long as music is being made, there definitely will be. It's foolish logic, in my opinion, to say "there will never be this.." or "there will never be that..." because frankly, none of us know

Every generation has its own band. While there are some people of "my" generation who listen to U2, U2 is definitely not "the band" of my generation, and their new material isn't really influencing our generation. It's not like how it was with the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Those albums influenced lots of bands and artists.

The Vertigo tour would have beat the stones but U2 didn't extent the tour because of family obligations with the Edge while the Stones seemed to milk the Bigger Bang Tour Forever.  No worries, 360 tour should have the title by next year's end with less dates compared to the Stones.  Hey, i'm not ragging on the Stones.  I love them, went to see the Bigger bang tour twice but no comparison when it comes to U2.  U2 at least paly a a high percentage of songs from the album they are promoting while the stones call it the bigger bang tour and play 1 maybe 2 songs from the album.  By the way, you say that nobody of your generation cares for U2, but I can say the same for my generation and the people I hang out with.  They don't care one damn bit about coldplay(U2 wannabes), Killers(Brandon Flowers can shoot his mouth off about taking out U2 but you got to as you say walk the walk as good as you can talk the talk) and Kings of Leon(I don't think so).  And we all know the real rock is from the classic rock era which is from the 60's-'80's-from the Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Zepplin, right down to Queen, Police and finnally U2.  And that is where it ends.  Everything else is irrelevant.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
 :D lol, i just puked up my rice krispee treat. what a joke. at least i hope its a joke. The killers? c'mon. KOL - they are good but maybe they've just made their 'The Unforgettable Fire'. Neither of these groups have made their own masterpiece on a 'Joshua Tree' scale as of yet. And, let's say they do in the next 2 years...that doesn't mean U2 should quit. U2 should quit when they want to quit, and when they know it's time. If you think about it, continuing on at this point is the ultimate act of defiance. It's a defiance against expectations. And what's more Punk than that?

Hell, even Depeche Mode are going strong when many fans saw Alan Wilder's departure as the final nail in the coffin. They are still making very good albums despite the odds and the wishes of many fans that were particularly fond of Mr. Wilder.

U2 are still making great music and I feel lucky as a fan to have them around. It's inevitable, but it will be a sad, sad day when they do decide to pack it in.

Revolver7

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »

The Vertigo tour would have beat the stones but U2 didn't extent the tour because of family obligations with the Edge while the Stones seemed to milk the Bigger Bang Tour Forever.  No worries, 360 tour should have the title by next year's end with less dates compared to the Stones.  Hey, i'm not ragging on the Stones.  I love them, went to see the Bigger bang tour twice but no comparison when it comes to U2.  U2 at least paly a a high percentage of songs from the album they are promoting while the stones call it the bigger bang tour and play 1 maybe 2 songs from the album.  By the way, you say that nobody of your generation cares for U2, but I can say the same for my generation and the people I hang out with.  They don't care one damn bit about coldplay(U2 wannabes), Killers(Brandon Flowers can shoot his mouth off about taking out U2 but you got to as you say walk the walk as good as you can talk the talk) and Kings of Leon(I don't think so).  And we all know the real rock is from the classic rock era which is from the 60's-'80's-from the Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Zepplin, right down to Queen, Police and finnally U2.  And that is where it ends.  Everything else is irrelevant.

I never said no one of my generation cares U2; you can reread what I wrote. And there's always a generational gap when it comes to music. If you talk to my parents, who grew up in the 60's, they like the music from their time the best. If you talk to someone from the 70's or 80's, they like the music from their time the best. If you talk to someone from the 90's, they like the music from their time the best, etc.

Your ideas of the three bands I listed is purely your opinion..

And the rest of your message (especially the last part) is purely your opinion

Revolver7

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
Sorry again Revolver7 but you're not comparing apples with apples again. Anybody and their mother will come to any concert including Rio De Janero especially when it's FREE! Yes free, that shouldn't even be included with their tour. If that was the case then shouldn't Paul Simon be the king if you include his Central Park free shows in NY?
And getting back to album sales, if they are selling 180,000 more copies than the supposed heirs to their throne, then I would say to keep on rocking because they're still on top.
And by the way The Stones played to 3,623,849 people with 114 shows. Like I said, Vertigo played to much more and just imagine if U2 charged what the Stones charged.
Just Google it if you don't believe me.

You said that the Vertigo Tour was witnessed by "more people". You didn't specify ticket sales. To witness is to see with your own eyes.

I did google it, actually. It said The Rolling Stones a Bigger Bang Tour sold 4.68 million tickets.That's 4,680,000. Vertigo, it says, sold 4,619,021 tickets.

These are my sources:

What are yours?

And before you say that it was a small margin, in your above message, you claim that a 180,000 lead of album sales keeps U2 on top. According to your logic, I guess a nearly 61,000 tickets keeps the Stones on top (That isn't my opinion, of course...but that's how it is according to your logic)

Revolver7

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »
And to clarify to everyone, I'm not saying U2 should quit, and I'm a very big U2 fan...I just don't like their new album, and I don't believe that anyone has the throne of the biggest rock band in the world right now...I believe that it's empty; it's up for grabs. And for any band to take it, whether it be Kings of Leon, The Killers, Coldplay, or any band for that matter, has to really step it up and make a strong leap in order to take it

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 10:31:15 PM »
regarding the 'throne', many songwriters get their best ideas on the toilet.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »
Bono is not the founder of U2.

This topic shouldn't say "Bono and the band."

It should be "Mullen and the band."

Cheers,

J