Author Topic: what bono and the band should do now.. the future  (Read 8701 times)

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
Re: what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono is not the founder of U2.

This topic shouldn't say "Bono and the band."

It should be "Mullen and the band."

Cheers,

J

I'm sure the OP doesn't need your input when creating thread titles.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 01:43:47 PM »
Bono is not the founder of U2.

This topic shouldn't say "Bono and the band."

It should be "Mullen and the band."

Cheers,

J

I'm sure the OP doesn't need your input when creating thread titles.

unless the OP is a "newbie", then Jick's yer man, I mean he DOES own 'U2 by U2' you know ?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
How about "What the band should do now...the future ?   Would that make everyone happy? :)

Offline tohydroman

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »
Guns & Roses is really the king then if you want to count paid tickets as they said 7 million watched them play when Illusion was going on.
The fact of the matter is they are still ahead of most bands with current album sales in this crummy economy which says a lot and by the time this tour is said and done, it will be the largest selling tour of all time.
Also to point out, The Bigger Bang Tour was only selling roughly 32- 34thousand people per concert. Lots of concerts yes but U2 is shattering records all over the world with this tour in these supposed bad times. If they did the same amount of shows as The Stones this record would never be broken as the way things are going, there will never be a supergroup like we know it again.
At the end of the day..... still selling records and still touring seling out means KEEP ROCKING!!  YAAAA!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »
And to clarify to everyone, I'm not saying U2 should quit, and I'm a very big U2 fan...I just don't like their new album, and I don't believe that anyone has the throne of the biggest rock band in the world right now...I believe that it's empty; it's up for grabs. And for any band to take it, whether it be Kings of Leon, The Killers, Coldplay, or any band for that matter, has to really step it up and make a strong leap in order to take it

I guess your too young to know good quality music. NLOTH is better than any of the offerings of these bands you mentioned.  And you got to stop writing posts that U2's throne is up for grabs.  I laughing so hard I almost pee'd myself.  You can even see it in the bands eyes when they give interviews and are asked about these bands. They just say nice things to be courteous but deep down, you know they are thinking that if this is all we have to worry about we got no worries. When asked about these very same bands,  Bono even said in an interview with MTV europe in Paris in 2005 during the HTDAAB promo and photo shoot that these bands have got to step up and U2 are not going to make it easy for them.  He then went on to say that how sad is it going to be in 5 years time(which is now) and we are sitting at this same table being interviewed and still talking about U2 being the best and the biggest with a sly grin.  Call it confidence,cockiness or arrogance, but it is the truth.

Revolver7

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »
And to clarify to everyone, I'm not saying U2 should quit, and I'm a very big U2 fan...I just don't like their new album, and I don't believe that anyone has the throne of the biggest rock band in the world right now...I believe that it's empty; it's up for grabs. And for any band to take it, whether it be Kings of Leon, The Killers, Coldplay, or any band for that matter, has to really step it up and make a strong leap in order to take it

I guess your too young to know good quality music. NLOTH is better than any of the offerings of these bands you mentioned.  And you got to stop writing posts that U2's throne is up for grabs.  I laughing so hard I almost pee'd myself.  You can even see it in the bands eyes when they give interviews and are asked about these bands. They just say nice things to be courteous but deep down, you know they are thinking that if this is all we have to worry about we got no worries. When asked about these very same bands,  Bono even said in an interview with MTV europe in Paris in 2005 during the HTDAAB promo and photo shoot that these bands have got to step up and U2 are not going to make it easy for them.  He then went on to say that how sad is it going to be in 5 years time(which is now) and we are sitting at this same table being interviewed and still talking about U2 being the best and the biggest with a sly grin.  Call it confidence,cockiness or arrogance, but it is the truth.

You don't even know my musical tastes besides the 5 bands that have been mentioned in this conversation. I find it extremely arrogant for you to presume that I don't know quality music.

That would be like me saying you don't know grammar because you used "your" instead of "you're"

Just because I dislike No Line on the Horizon, and I like The Killers and Kings of Leon, that means I have bad taste? Just because I don't see eye-to-eye with you doesn't mean that I have a lesser opinion than you. And just because you're older doesn't mean your opinion to music means more than anyone else's. An opinion is an opinion, and this an online forum meant to express opinions. You need to grow up.

I congratulate on trying to use what believe is "a look in the band's eye" in order to support your argument. The same "look" that you claim to see may mean a million different things to a million different people. Or someone else may not see that look at all.

It may be the truth in your book, perhaps. But the truth is not black or white in this situation. Many other people on this forum would say it's the truth, because this is a U2 site. But many other people would not agree with it being the truth. This is what I mean about it being "gray".

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
I guess your too young to know good quality music. NLOTH is better than any of the offerings of these bands you mentioned. 

You're saying that Kings of Leon and The Killers are not quality music? Please. NLOTH is a really good album. Both Sam's Town and Day & Age from The Killers is better than NLOTH. The National's Boxer is better. Muse's Black Holes and Revelations is better. Just about any Sigur Ros album is better. That doesn't take away from NLOTH being a really good album. It just means that U2 isn't at a place in their career, like they were in 1987, 1991, or 1997, where they are the best thing going.

I think that Revolver made a really good post (although I disagree with his opinion of NLOTH), and yet you shot him down for just stating an opinion. Revolver said it best when he said:

Just because I dislike No Line on the Horizon, and I like The Killers and Kings of Leon, that means I have bad taste? Just because I don't see eye-to-eye with you doesn't mean that I have a lesser opinion than you. And just because you're older doesn't mean your opinion to music means more than anyone else's. An opinion is an opinion, and this an online forum meant to express opinions. You need to grow up.

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
I don't think you can compare any band to U2 right now.  No one is even close. 

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
The biggest thing for me is to give them room to grow [...] please don't try to tell them how to grow. That is, and always has been, up to them.

I certainly don't have the cojones to attempt to tell the band how to grow.  But what you're saying presupposes that this album is actually a sign of growth.  It's just my opinion, but I don't see it that way.  Rather, I see the album as a collection of a lot of previous U2 tropes - the repeated presence of chanted, Eno-esque "ohs" which first appeared on Pride, Edge's borrowed riffs from "The Fly" and "Walk On," the clumsy attempt by "Boots" to repeat the success of "Vertigo" - all assembled into a package that isn't sure what it wants to be.  All throughout this album, I keep being struck by how it sounds like U2 trying to grow, but repeating themselves instead.  Which isn't to say I think it's a horrible album; I certainly don't.  But I also certainly don't see it as anywhere near their best, as the band evidently does.  And I won't even comment on how it measures up to Daniel Lanois's comment that the term "rock and roll" will have to be redefined in the wake of the album.  Sorry if I seem overly negative about it - I guess this is what happens when you wait nearly five years for a new album from your favorite band, only to be disappointed by it.  I'd be much more accepting of mixed bags if they released them every couple of years.  In fact, if they just forced themselves to put out more albums, instead of fussing over them to the point of obsession, maybe they would grow more.  Oops...I guess I just did tell them how to grow.  OK, strike that.   ;)

Well put.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:05 AM »

You don't even know my musical tastes besides the 5 bands that have been mentioned in this conversation. I find it extremely arrogant for you to presume that I don't know quality music.

That would be like me saying you don't know grammar because you used "your" instead of "you're"

I congratulate on trying to use what believe is "a look in the band's eye" in order to support your argument. The same "look" that you claim to see may mean a million different things to a million different people. Or someone else may not see that look at all.

It may be the truth in your book, perhaps. But the truth is not black or white in this situation. Many other people on this forum would say it's the truth, because this is a U2 site. But many other people would not agree with it being the truth. This is what I mean about it being "gray".

I'm not using the look in the band's eye to support my argument but Bono said this himself in 2005 that in 5 years time we will still be the best and the biggest. like I said with a sly grin.  5 years has gone by and I guess he wasn't lying as they are about to embark on the biggest tour in rock history something that the killers, kol or Coldplay can never claim.  Like I said earlier maybe Brandon Flowers can get the job of Bono's water boy during this tour so he can see up close and personal how the big boys do it.  The truth hurts but just accept it.  Next thing you are going to say is that the Jonas Brothers are about to dethrone U2.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:58:58 AM by boom boom »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Boom boom, what's with the arrogance? To tell someone they're "too young to know quality music" is very condescending. You're making out that someone lacks intelligence or knowledge because they don't share your opinions on music, which is pretty small-minded.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »
Boom boom, what's with the arrogance? To tell someone they're "too young to know quality music" is very condescending. You're making out that someone lacks intelligence or knowledge because they don't share your opinions on music, which is pretty small-minded.

Oh! let me guess. Another one who thinks the Killers and Kings of Leon are going to dethrone U2.

Revolver7

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »

I'm not using the look in the band's eye to support my argument but Bono said this himself in 2005 that in 5 years time we will still be the best and the biggest. like I said with a sly grin.  5 years has gone by and I guess he wasn't lying as they are about to embark on the biggest tour in rock history something that the killers, kol or Coldplay can never claim.  Like I said earlier maybe Brandon Flowers can get the job of Bono's water boy during this tour so he can see up close and personal how the big boys do it.  The truth hurts but just accept it.  Next thing you are going to say is that the Jonas Brothers are about to dethrone U2.

How you can you say never? Nobody knows the future. U2 has been around for almost 30 years. Back in their early days, I'm sure there were people who thought they wouldn't make it as big as they did

At the WarChild Concert, Bono performed with The Killers and Coldplay...and they were performing a Killers song. I'm not saying U2 has anything to learn from The Killers, but The Killers are definitely their own band. And I also would say that the Kings of Leon are their own band as well.

Mostly, you've presented your opinions, or you've criticized my taste in music. What is there to accept besides the fact that you don't respect people's opinions and that you think you're better than everyone else?

And I absolutely hate The Jonas Brothers   :D

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »

How you can you say never? Nobody knows the future. U2 has been around for almost 30 years. Back in their early days, I'm sure there were people who thought they wouldn't make it as big as they did

At the WarChild Concert, Bono performed with The Killers and Coldplay...and they were performing a Killers song. I'm not saying U2 has anything to learn from The Killers, but The Killers are definitely their own band. And I also would say that the Kings of Leon are their own band as well.

Mostly, you've presented your opinions, or you've criticized my taste in music. What is there to accept besides the fact that you don't respect people's opinions and that you think you're better than everyone else?

And I absolutely hate The Jonas Brothers   :D

It's okay for you to like these band but to say they can dethrone U2 without having achieving anything of significance is just and insult to a band who has accomplished everything there is to in this business.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:55:34 AM by boom boom »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »

Oh! let me guess. Another one who thinks the Killers and Kings of Leon are going to dethrone U2.

No, your presumptiousness is misguided. U2 are far and away my favourite band. What I had an issue with was your attitude towards Revolver7, simply because he doesn't share your musical preferences.