Author Topic: what bono and the band should do now.. the future  (Read 8695 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Re: what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Boom boom, what's with the arrogance? To tell someone they're "too young to know quality music" is very condescending. You're making out that someone lacks intelligence or knowledge because they don't share your opinions on music, which is pretty small-minded.

Oh! let me guess. Another one who thinks the Killers and Kings of Leon are going to dethrone U2.

No, your presumptiousness is misguided. U2 are far and away my favourite band. What I had an issue with was your attitude towards Revolver7, simply because he doesn't share your musical preferences.

Okay, maybe I came off a bit harsh about the comments on musical taste of Revolver 7,  just trying to push some buttons.  I apologize .  But you got to admit when he said that there is a vacancy for Biggest band in the world and that the possibility of these bands to take it from U2 because they are better right now is quite absurd and ridiculous. That's all I'm saying.  What is your opinion.  I have no problem with anyone arguing that bands like Stones, Who, Floyd, Police etc.  were better bands because these artists were some of the biggest and most influential bands of their time as is U2.  I don't see it in these new bands yet.

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Okay, maybe I came off a bit harsh about the comments on musical taste of Revolver 7,  just trying to push some buttons.  I apologize .  But you got to admit when he said that there is a vacancy for Biggest band in the world and that the possibility of these bands to take it from U2 because they are better right now is quite absurd and ridiculous. That's all I'm saying.  What is your opinion.  I have no problem with anyone arguing that bands like Stones, Who, Floyd, Police etc.  were better bands because these artists were some of the biggest and most influential bands of their time as is U2.  I don't see it in these new bands yet.

The Killers have been VERY influential for the past 5 years... AND they are better than U2 right now. U2's best years were 1984, 1987, 1991, 1993, and 1997. They are still releasing good stuff, and NLOTH is the best thing to come from them in 12 years, but I'm tellin ya, two of the albums from The Killers are better than NLOTH. What's so absurd and ridiculous about that? Because U2 released it, it must automatically be the best stuff on the planet? THAT'S absurd and ridiculous.

The Killers are only into their third record. It took four albums for U2 to get real acclaim and five to become a phenomenon. I like NLOTH as much as the next guy, but it's not that innovative. It has some fresh tracks, but only fresh in U2 world, and ONLY because of the weaknesses of the last two records.

So please, tame down the glee long enough to see that others, who love the band just as much as you do, who have great taste in music just like you claim to, might have something to offer in the way of an opinion, and it's just as valid as yours.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:34:46 PM by u2bonoman »

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »

The Killers have been VERY influential for the past 5 years... AND they are better than U2 right now. U2's best years were 1984, 1987, 1991, 1993, and 1997. They are still releasing good stuff, and NLOTH is the best thing to come from them in 12 years, but I'm tellin ya, two of the albums from The Killers are better than NLOTH. What's so absurd and ridiculous about that? Because U2 released it, it must automatically be the best stuff on the planet? THAT'S absurd and ridiculous.

The Killers are only into their third record. It took four albums for U2 to get real acclaim and five to become a phenomenon. I like NLOTH as much as the next guy, but it's not that innovative. It has some fresh tracks, but only fresh in U2 world, and ONLY because of the weaknesses of the last two records.

So please, tame down the glee long enough to see that others, who love the band just as much as you do, who have great taste in music just like you claim to, might have something to offer in the way of an opinion, and it's just as valid as yours.

It is just your opinion that the killers last 2 albums is better than NLOTH and that they are better than U2 right now. You shouldn't speak for everyone.  How many times do you want U2 to re-invent themselves. they already done it more times than any band will do it in their whole career.  And on the live front have the killers done anything near the innovative tours of Zoo Tv and Popmart and now 360.  They are out of their league on this front.  U2 are the biggest live attraction in the world. Even if they can outsell U2 in the albums dept., until they can do a innovative tour and even come close to doing a tour on the scale as U2 or the Stones they will never be elevated to superstar status as U2 and the Stones and bands of the past like Who, Floyd Police, Springsteen etc.   This is what makes big bands.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:54:25 PM by boom boom »

Revolver7

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »

I don't see it in these new bands yet.

Just because you do not see it doesn't that others do not. And just because you do not see it doesn't mean it's not there.

The Beatles were the band that made me love music. I love and respect classic rock. About 1/2 my CD collection is comprised of albums released before 1980. I believe that U2's 80's and 90's stuff is untouchable. But just because you were untouchable at one time doesn't mean you remain untouchable forever.

I love U2, but I don't love them blindly. For that matter, I don't love any band blindly. If a band makes a bad record, then I'll state my opinion on it.

I'm sure there are many people who would be insulted by you comparing U2 to the Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Police. I'm not saying that I myself am insulted, but what I am saying is that musical taste is purely subjective. A band that is are musical gods to one person may be hated by another person.

Revolver7

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »

IAnd on the live front have the killers done anything near the innovative tours of Zoo Tv and Popmart and now 360.  They are out of their league on this front.  U2 are the biggest live attraction in the world. Even if they can outsell U2 in the albums dept., until they can do a innovative tour and even come close to doing a tour on the scale as U2 or the Stones they will never be elevated to superstar status as U2 and the Stones and bands of the past like Who, Floyd Police, Springsteen etc.   This is what makes big bands.

The Zoo TV tour was 11 years after U2's first album. Popmart was 17 years after their first album. The Stones' biggest tours took place 30 and 40 years after their first album.

The Killers first album hasn't even been out for 5 years yet.

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 05:02:50 PM »
It is just your opinion that the killers last 2 albums is better than NLOTH.   

Why, yes it is. I think you've cracked the secret code, by golly.

Of course it's just my opinion, just like it is just your opinion that NLOTH is better than The Killers' stuff.

How many times do you want U2 to re-invent themselves.

I guess as many times as they'd like? I'm not under the impression that the four members of U2 are gods, so I know they can and will make mistakes. I also know that they have given us more great music than anyone could ever ask for or expect out of a band.

And on the live front have the killers done anything near the innovative tours of Zoo Tv and Popmart and now 360.  

Gee, when did U2 start having these innovative tours? It was 7 albums into their career. As I stated previously, The Killers have only given us three. These are three albums that (in my opinon) are a million times better than U2's first three albums. If they keep going as strong as they are now, who's to say they can't do innovative tours like Zoo TV? It is possible they can and will.

Even if they can outsell U2 in the albums dept., until they can do a innovative tour and even come close to doing a tour on the scale as U2 or the Stones they will never be elevated to superstar status as U2 and the Stones and bands of the past like Who, Floyd Police, Springsteen etc.  

Do you have any perspective? How long did it take these bands to become superstars? U2 formed in 1976. They became semi-superstars about 8 years later, and MEGA superstars 3 years after that.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:04:50 PM by u2bonoman »

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »

I don't see it in these new bands yet.

Just because you do not see it doesn't that others do not. And just because you do not see it doesn't mean it's not there.

The Beatles were the band that made me love music. I love and respect classic rock. About 1/2 my CD collection is comprised of albums released before 1980. I believe that U2's 80's and 90's stuff is untouchable. But just because you were untouchable at one time doesn't mean you remain untouchable forever.

I love U2, but I don't love them blindly. For that matter, I don't love any band blindly. If a band makes a bad record, then I'll state my opinion on it.

I'm sure there are many people who would be insulted by you comparing U2 to the Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Police. I'm not saying that I myself am insulted, but what I am saying is that musical taste is purely subjective. A band that is are musical gods to one person may be hated by another person.
I don't follow U2 blindly.  Wasn't really big on Zooropa and Pop as some people are but I'm in for the long haul, all the ups and downs and always will be but your just wrong on NLOTH.  Time will vindicate it.  It is among the best with Achtung and Joshua Tree, UF, War.  I can remember people bashing AB when it came out.  look what happened with that one.

Revolver7

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
Time will vindicate it.  It is among the best with Achtung and Joshua Tree, UF, War.  I can remember people bashing AB when it came out.  look what happened with that one.

Nobody knows what time will do.

That was Achtung Baby; that was 1991. This is No Line; this is 2009.

Some People may have bashed Achtung Baby...but it still did really well immediately, with lots of radio play and album sales. The Fly conquered rock radio...Boots, which often compared to the Fly, did not

You also have to look at the flip side of the coin; an album that is praised at first can just as easily be left with a bad legacy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:20:24 PM by Revolver7 »

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
some good points..but i would say that Boots did a lot better on radio than The Fly. And at least when the FLY was out Rock ruled the radio. That's not the case anymore. Rock radio is really struggling. Or even nearly extinct in some areas of the U.S. at least.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2009, 05:11:15 AM »
Boom boom, what's with the arrogance? To tell someone they're "too young to know quality music" is very condescending. You're making out that someone lacks intelligence or knowledge because they don't share your opinions on music, which is pretty small-minded.

Oh! let me guess. Another one who thinks the Killers and Kings of Leon are going to dethrone U2.

No, your presumptiousness is misguided. U2 are far and away my favourite band. What I had an issue with was your attitude towards Revolver7, simply because he doesn't share your musical preferences.

Well I have to admit I'm not a Killers fan, although I quite a liked a couple of songs off their first album. I don't regard them as being on the same ballpark as U2. I think Kings of Leon are better, but Because Of The Times was much better than Only By The Night imo. I think there are better bands than these two to potentially challenge U2. I would say Radiohead, but they really operate in a different area; they're not really contemporaries for U2 since much of their music isn't very accessible. One of my favourite bands is Arcade Fire, who although aren't challenging U2 at the moment,  I think they have a lot of potential. I'd agree though that there aren't many worthy challengers to U2 just now. I'm not saying nobody writes any music as good as U2's, but in terms of mainstream music, nobody is as good at balancing their musical ambitions with the pressures of being one of the biggest bands in the world. I don't think any of the challengers have the confidence to do that just now.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
some good points..but i would say that Boots did a lot better on radio than The Fly. And at least when the FLY was out Rock ruled the radio. That's not the case anymore. Rock radio is really struggling. Or even nearly extinct in some areas of the U.S. at least.

Great point.  Even in the song Kite, the last verse they sing, We're the last of the rock stars, when hip-hop drove the big cars.  If it wasn't for U2 rock may be completly dead.  Killers and KOL should thank U2 for giving them a least a chance.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »
I think the band should keep doing exactly what they are doing-making music that they feel proud of. Some of us will love it and some of us won't , but being true to themselves is what I always loved and admired about U2.  I also think they are one of the few bands around in the rock music business who respect their fans and most especially women !  When they decide it is time for them to stop, I will be very sad but grateful that I had the opportunity to join them on this wonderful journey that lasted more than 30 years!!!

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »
Please move this to The Killers forum.  I don't give rat's posterior about those pantywaisted popinjays.  I truly don't.  Not my sippy-cup of tea.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2009, 07:39:25 PM »
what bono and the band should do now.. the future :

1) The group should do a live concert during their 360 tour, ala Pop Mart or Zoo TV.

2) Quietly release the "meditative" Songs Of Ascent tracks on i-tunes only, with little or no promotion - and little or no expectations of anyone bu die hard fans buying it. (Even better, crush the greedy image that has been thrown about by releasing the songs online for free!)

3) Make it clear that "Spiderman- The Musical" is/was NOT a U2 project.

4) Once Bono accepts his Tony Award, the group should lock themselves away in a studio in some urban jungle, such as Tokyo or New York, anywhere where they would not be comfortable or at least fee familiar - and start playing very loud

5) A 12-step program may be required, but the group should kick their Lanois and Eno addiction and go find a producer they have never worked with - like Billy Corgan or Jack White and make a dozen kick ass rock songs that make you think, but that you can actually shake your butt too!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »
cool! they should work with Timbaland LCD Soundsystem. now THAT would be different/awesome!