Author Topic: what bono and the band should do now.. the future  (Read 8700 times)

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
Re: what bono and the band should do now.. the future
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
what bono and the band should do now.. the future :

1) The group should do a live concert during their 360 tour, ala Pop Mart or Zoo TV.

2) Quietly release the "meditative" Songs Of Ascent tracks on i-tunes only, with little or no promotion - and little or no expectations of anyone bu die hard fans buying it. (Even better, crush the greedy image that has been thrown about by releasing the songs online for free!)

3) Make it clear that "Spiderman- The Musical" is/was NOT a U2 project.

4) Once Bono accepts his Tony Award, the group should lock themselves away in a studio in some urban jungle, such as Tokyo or New York, anywhere where they would not be comfortable or at least fee familiar - and start playing very loud

5) A 12-step program may be required, but the group should kick their Lanois and Eno addiction and go find a producer they have never worked with - like Billy Corgan or Jack White and make a dozen kick ass rock songs that make you think, but that you can actually shake your butt too!

I'm likin' this

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
i believe the games over and bono should grow old gracefully making the odd one off public appearance maybe in a similar fashion to leonard cohen, perhaps where a hat around?
the band should just let there credibitibilty and influence grow, they wont be forgetten.

release songs of ascent then gracefully hand over the reigns to the killers and kings of leon

This is nuts. Bono is 48, Edge is 47, Adam 49, Larry 47. In the 21st century, that is far from being old or needing to retire. The band are producing their best work at the moment and are playing fantastic live. The album is the biggest seller of 2009 so far, and the new tour will become the highest grossing and highest attended tour of all time.

The Killers and Kings Of Leon are currently light years from U2's position, and certainly are not competitive at the moment for being handed any sort of a reign.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2009, 08:08:49 AM »

Make the kinds of albums they're capable of - not like the last 2

In order to make the albums they're capable of, it needs to be their higher priority.

I'm pleasantly surprised NLOTH is as good as it is (which isn't great) after HTDAAB, given all their distractions: Bono's politicking, U2 Tower, Clarence hotel, Malibu construction projects, endless vacations, etc.

No, I'm NOT criticizing them for all of the above, just saying that the last time music seemed to be #1 priority in their lives seemed to be with Pop, which woul dexplain why nothing has been as good since. I'm sure they're still capable of it, they just need to want it.

POP was a low point for the band, although it was a good album. If anything, music has been a much higher priority over the past ten years than it was in the late 1990s.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2009, 08:26:29 AM »
Now, I'm trying to get anyone angry or upset, but if you ask most kids my age (17) which rock bands they like, you usually here Coldplay, Kings of Leon, or The Killers mentioned. I've only known 1 person in real life who likes U2, and that's because I got that person into their music

Of course, U2 will always by the biggest band to those who love them, and to a certain age group, but I feel like they've lost of lot of their influence on young people overall.

I mean, right now, U2's new album has sold around 780,000 copies. Viva La Vida has sold around 2 and a 1/2 million copies. Day & Age has sold about 600,000 copies. And Only by The Night has sold around 570,000 copies (and that's bound to go up)

My point is, things on the Rock N' Roll Throne are not as clear cut as they used to be. U2's new material hasn't really made a significant impact with single sales or radio play, while The Killers, Kings of Leon, and Coldplay have.

U2 has the bigger tour numbers, but they've been around for almost 30 years, and they have a big catalog of older songs that people want to see live.

While I'm not a fan of No Line, I'm not attacking U2 or anything like that. I'm just saying, the idea of U2 being the biggest rock band in the world isn't as undisputed as it used to be

Well, looks like you need a refresher on the facts in 2009. To start off, here are the top selling albums so far in 2009 in the United States:

WEEK 17

Rank - Sales - TITLE - Artist
01 - 1,008,187 - FEARLESS - Taylor Swift
02 - 853,244 - NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - U2
03 - 750,283 - TWILIGHT - Soundtrack
04 - 691,645 - DARK HORSE - Nickelback
05 - 658,835 - HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE - Soundtrack
06 - 653,586 - I AM…SASHA FIERCE - Beyonce
07 - 584,627 - THE FAME - Lady GaGa
08 - 526,198 - UNSTOPPABLE - Rascal Flatts
09 - 519,824 - WORKING ON A DREAM - Bruce Springsteen
10 - 508,678 - ALL I EVER WANTED - Kelly Clarkson
11 - 501,839 - THE FRAY - The Fray
12 - 492,900 - INTUITION - Jamie Foxx
13 - 475,554 - 808S AND HEARTBREAK - Kanye West
14 - 413,830 - NOW 30 - Various
15 - 411,306 - CIRCUS - Britney Spears
16 - 401,337 - A DIFFERENT ME - Keyshia Cole
17 - 380,224 - PAPER TRAIL - T.I.
18 - 338,587 - FUNHOUSE - Pink
19 - 334,664 - NOW 29 - Various
20 - 331,475 - LOVE VS MONEY - The-Dream
21 - 326,397 - WE SING WE DANCE WE STEAL THINGS - Jason Mraz
22 - 314,995 - ONLY BY THE NIGHT - Kings Of Leon
23 - 300,742 - FREEDOM - Akon
24 - 294,587 - VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS - Coldplay
25 - 294,499 - DAVID COOK - David Cook
26 - 293,833 - DEFYING GRAVITY - Keith Urban
27 - 280,505 - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE - Soundtrack
28 - 278,120 - 19 - Adele
29 - 277,698 - LOTUS FLOW3R - Prince
30 - 257,160 - THE FOUNDATION - Zac Brown Band
31 - 255,894 - TAYLOR SWIFT - Taylor Swift
32 - 255,881 - YEAR OF THE GENTLEMAN - Ne-Yo
33 - 254,347 - THA CARTER III - Lil' Wayne
34 - 252,325 - MAMMA MIA - Soundtrack
35 - 246,927 - ROCK N ROLL JESUS - Kid Rock
36 - 246,765 - LOVE ON THE INSIDE - Sugarland
37 - 241,763 - LEARN TO LIVE - Darius Rucker
38 - 234,068 - ONE OF THE BOYS - Katy Perry
39 - 228,600 - GOOD GIRL GONE BAD - Rihanna
40 - 222,248 - RAISING SAND - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
41 - 220,479 - CARNIVAL RIDE - Carrie Underwood
42 - 218,656 - WHEN THE WORLD COMES DOWN - All-American Rejects
43 - 213,696 - IN A PERFECT WORLD - Keri Hilson
44 - 213,346 - TESTIMONY:VOL 2-LOVE AND POLITICS - India.Arie
45 - 210,118 - THE LAST KISS - Jadakiss
46 - 202,461 - QUIET NIGHTS - Diana Krall
47 - 196,100 - 2009 GRAMMY NOMINEES - Various
48 - 186,071 - SWAN SONGS - Hollywood Undead
49 - 181,919 - SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Theory Of A Deadman
50 - 180,213 - DEATH MAGNETIC - Metallica
51 - 179,058 - IT'S NOT ME IT'S YOU - Lily Allen
52 - 178,967 - THAT LONESOME SONG - Jamey Johnson
53 - 177,581 - THEATER OF THE MIND - Ludacris
54 - 176,716 - HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SENIOR YEAR - Soundtrack
55 - 175,332 - FEEL THAT FREE - Dierks Bentley
56 - 174,391 - DAY AND AGE - Killers
57 - 173,490 - THE POINT OF IT ALL - Anthony Hamilton
58 - 172,661 - SOUL - Seal
59 - 171,822 - WIDE OPEN - Jason Aldean
60 - 167,261 - JENNIFER HUDSON - Jennifer Hudson
61 - 164,635 - DA REALIST - Plies
62 - 164,527 - GREATEST HITS VOLUME 1 - Rascal Flatts
63 - 163,920 - KIDZ BOP 15 - Kidz Bop Kids
64 - 159,579 - UNCLE CHARLIE - Charlie Wilson
65 - 158,027 - DEEPER THAN RAP - Rick Ross
66 - 154,507 - LADY ANTEBELLUM - Lady Antebellum
67 - 151,474 - INCREDIBAD - Lonely Island
68 - 150,296 - FOREVER IN THE DAY - Day26
69 - 150,050 - GOLD-GREATEST HITS - Abba
70 - 150,027 - BLACK ICE - AC/DC
71 - 149,612 - EVOLVER - John Legend
72 - 147,686 - FOLIE A DEUX - Fall Out Boy
73 - 146,813 - SPIRIT - Leona Lewis
74 - 140,916 - THE SOUND OF MADNESS - Shinedown
75 - 138,783 - WRATH - Lamb Of God
76 - 137,414 - THE REBIRTH - Bobby V
77 - 136,182 - ISOULJABOYTELLEM - Soulja Boy Tell'em
78 - 135,100 - FEARLESS - Jazmine Sullivan
79 - 134,575 - NOTORIOUS - Soundtrack
80 - 133,937 - ONMYRADIO - Musiq Soulchild
81 - 132,200 - GREATEST HITS - Guns N'Roses
82 - 131,113 - THE PROMISE - Il Divo
83 - 128,450 - GREATEST HITS - Journey
84 - 128,215 - UGK FOR LIFE - UGK
85 - 127,605 - 3D CONCERT EXPERIENCE - Jonas Brothers
86 - 125,932 - THE RECESSION - Young Jeezy
87 - 124,368 - ORACULAR SPECTACULAR - MGMT
88 - 123,745 - DAVID ARCHULETA - David Archuleta
89 - 123,100 - TEN - Pearl Jam
90 - 122,644 - R.O.O.T.S. (ROUTE OF OVERCOMING THE STRUGGLE) - Flo Rida 
91 - 121,460 - GOOD TIME - Alan Jackson
92 - 119,909 - THR33 RINGZ - T-Pain
93 - 119,822 - TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT - Hinder
94 - 119,100 - ROCKFERRY - Duffy
95 - 119,013 - ALL HOPE IS GONE - Slipknot
96 - 118,294 - SAVING ABEL - Saving Abel
97 - 116,450 - LEGEND - Bob Marley & the Wailers
98 - 113,724 - MIDDLE CYCLONE - Neko Case
99 - 113,164 - LUCKY OLD SUN - Kenny Chesney
100 - 112,323 - INDESTRUCTIBLE - Disturbed

Worldwide, U2 has the biggest selling album so far of 2009 by over 1 million copies! U2 are as popular or more popular at the moment than the rest of the competition as compared to the position they were in, in May 1987. That is what the sales figures show. Sales by everyone are down because of the new business environment, but relative to the competition, U2 are as popular as they have ever been!

Also, the fact that U2 are about to go on the highest grossing highest attended tour in history is not some fluke as you describe it. Its the ultimate evidence that they are the most popular band in the world. Yes, they have been around for nearly 30 years WHICH HAS GIVEN THE POPULATION PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITIES TO SEE THEM LIVE. The only way you can continue to sell tickets at the level they do given that fact, is if you are the most popular artist on the planet, and that continues to be the position they hold.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
I'm 39 years old, so I don't care what groups that people age 17 like or dislike even though U2 may want to attract this group.  I'm more of a classic rock listener so I couldn't even name you 2 songs from those 3 groups you mentioned.  I do know that they not in the same class as U2, Stones, Who etc.  Although U2 may not sell as many records as they used to or against some of these bands you mentioned, they are without a doubt the biggest live attraction in the world which in my opinion carries more weight than album sales when determining "the biggest band in the world" as this actually shows the amount of people willing to come out and see you play.  Coldplay, killers, kings of leon are miles behind U2 on this level.  There was an article actually a few years back in my local paper in Toronto on U2 and what goes into the Biggest band in the world status and album sales was actually lower down the list after how big a concert draw you are, influence on a generation and critical acclaim from not only the press but your peers.  It went on to say that U2 will probably the last Big band that we see and when they retire it will be time to turn off the stadium lights.  The undisputed and still heavyweight rock band in the world, without a doubt-U2.  Those other band can compete in the middleweight division.  By the way wasn't that impressed by KOL when the opened up for U2 during Vertigo.  If that is their main threat U2 has nothing to worry about. 

If being the biggest live act was all that was necessary to be the biggest band in the world, then U2 would have never taken the title from The Rolling Stones in the first place

Rolling Stone named U2 "the band of the 80's" in 1985. They were an incredible live act at that time, but their tours weren't the biggest ticket sellers, compared to Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, and other bands who were big at the time.

My point is, there's more to being the biggest band than ticket sales or album sales. It's much deeper than that.

And also, "biggest band" and "best band" are not synonymous. A news paper article in Toronto may have it's opinion that there will never be another big band, but as long as music is being made, there definitely will be. It's foolish logic, in my opinion, to say "there will never be this.." or "there will never be that..." because frankly, none of us know

Every generation has its own band. While there are some people of "my" generation who listen to U2, U2 is definitely not "the band" of my generation, and their new material isn't really influencing our generation. It's not like how it was with the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Those albums influenced lots of bands and artists.

Being the biggest band in the world or biggest artist in the world is determined by an equal combination of album sales and concert ticket sales. U2 arrived at that point in 1987. In 1987 worldwide, the Joshua Tree Tour showed U2 were a stronger ticket seller than Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen and nearly equal to the Stones. The Joshua Tree album was a huge seller, selling 4 times what the latest Stones release would sell. To this day, they have continued to hold that position, by having the strongest combined ticket sales/Album sales of the latest album/tour in the industry!

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
More people will see this concert by the time it's done than any other concert in history and will make the most money in concert going history.
That gives them the title of "Biggest Band in The World".

If that was all that made a band the Biggest Band in The World, then U2 would be getting the title for the first time just now. The Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" grossed more than Vertigo, and was seen by more people...

Do you see what I'm saying?

The only reason "A Bigger Bang Tour" grossed more and was seen by more people is because the Stones played more shows and exhausted demand to see them in the market. In contrast to the Stones tour, nearly every U2 show was soldout the day it went on sale. Outside the USA and Canada, U2 attendance was higher and the gross was equal to the Stones tour. U2 could have played more shows but chose not to.

Once the attendance and gross figures come in for U2 360, you will see what I mean.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Sorry Revolver7, you were right with the higher grossing tour but not with the attendace figures. The Stones made more money than U2 due to the much higher average price of their tickets. Their nose bleed seats were cheaper but almost every other ticket was way more expensive than what U2 fans are complaining about with the 360 tour lately.
More people witnessed the Vertigo Tour than A Bigger Bang.
But also... if U2 is going to shatter all concert records with this tour and still outsell or match all artists that have released albums since this downshift in the economy,( Coldplay  ) doesn't count again due to it's release before the bottom fell out, then that alone pretty well answers the question to this thread thaat was started.  They should continue to do what they are doing right now... keep making albums and touring because again, they match other relevent artists since the down turn and destroy everybody in concert attendance and soon to be sales.
This could turn out to shatter A Bigger Bang by a couple hundred million if not more.

Do you know what the exact numbers of the attendance figures are? It said the Vertigo Tour sold 4,619,021 tickets. The Rolling Stones played to 2 Million People at a concert in Rio de Janeiro alone...

I'm not trying to be an a**hole. I've just never seen it said anywhere that more people witnessed the Vertigo Tour

And as far as albums go, I'm not just talking about Coldplay. I'm aware that you can't compare June of 2008 to March of 2009. That's why I also mentioned Kings of Leon and The Killers. No Line is outselling Day & Age and Only By The Night by about 180,000 copies. 

Now, when it comes to album sales, you can't say that U2 is the biggest band in the world just because of a relatively small lead. Back in '91, U2 was widely considered the biggest band in the world. Achtung Baby only sold 8 million copies, while other rock contemporaries such as Pearl Jam and Nirvana sold 13 Million copies and 10 million copies with their albums that were released at the same time.

U2, in my opinion, was considered the biggest band back then because of the quality of their music and their innovation. The were part of the culture, part of the times, part of the Zeitgeist. 

Zoo TV was a great success, as far as ticket sales go, but it was outsold by other Rolling Stones tours in the 90's (Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon)

And that pretty much sums up my point; you can be the biggest band in the world without having the highest grossing tour, or the highest selling album, because you also have to take into account the artistic merit of music, the quality of the music, the impact of the music, and the influence that it has on the culture

The artistic merit of the music is a subjective question. Who is actually the biggest band in the world, the most popular band in the world, is a question that can be answered with objective facts of album sales and concert ticket sales. Both are combined in assessing who is on top. By the way, Nevermind by Nirvana was certified for 4 million in sales in the USA at the end of U2's ZOO TV tour in 1993, while Achtung Baby was at 5 million. Pearl Jam's TEN was only at 5 or 6 million back then either. The sales levels you mention only came many years later after the artist had long since finished promoting the records. Worldwide at the time, Achtung Baby outsold TEN.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2009, 08:40:24 AM »
Sorry again Revolver7 but you're not comparing apples with apples again. Anybody and their mother will come to any concert including Rio De Janero especially when it's FREE! Yes free, that shouldn't even be included with their tour. If that was the case then shouldn't Paul Simon be the king if you include his Central Park free shows in NY?
And getting back to album sales, if they are selling 180,000 more copies than the supposed heirs to their throne, then I would say to keep on rocking because they're still on top.
And by the way The Stones played to 3,623,849 people with 114 shows. Like I said, Vertigo played to much more and just imagine if U2 charged what the Stones charged.
Just Google it if you don't believe me.

You said that the Vertigo Tour was witnessed by "more people". You didn't specify ticket sales. To witness is to see with your own eyes.

I did google it, actually. It said The Rolling Stones a Bigger Bang Tour sold 4.68 million tickets.That's 4,680,000. Vertigo, it says, sold 4,619,021 tickets.

These are my sources:

What are yours?

And before you say that it was a small margin, in your above message, you claim that a 180,000 lead of album sales keeps U2 on top. According to your logic, I guess a nearly 61,000 tickets keeps the Stones on top (That isn't my opinion, of course...but that's how it is according to your logic)

The difference is that U2 could have continued the Vertigo Tour, while the Stones had completely exhausted the market to see them with A Bigger Bang. We know this because nearly every U2 show soldout on the day it was put on sale, showing that there was unmet demand in the market. The Stones by contrast played to many half full stadiums in Europe on their last leg there, and also struggle to sell tickets to their last shows in North America. Their last show in Chicago at Soldier field only sold 29,000 tickets!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
I'm 39 years old, so I don't care what groups that people age 17 like or dislike even though U2 may want to attract this group.  I'm more of a classic rock listener so I couldn't even name you 2 songs from those 3 groups you mentioned.  I do know that they not in the same class as U2, Stones, Who etc.  Although U2 may not sell as many records as they used to or against some of these bands you mentioned, they are without a doubt the biggest live attraction in the world which in my opinion carries more weight than album sales when determining "the biggest band in the world" as this actually shows the amount of people willing to come out and see you play.  Coldplay, killers, kings of leon are miles behind U2 on this level.  There was an article actually a few years back in my local paper in Toronto on U2 and what goes into the Biggest band in the world status and album sales was actually lower down the list after how big a concert draw you are, influence on a generation and critical acclaim from not only the press but your peers.  It went on to say that U2 will probably the last Big band that we see and when they retire it will be time to turn off the stadium lights.  The undisputed and still heavyweight rock band in the world, without a doubt-U2.  Those other band can compete in the middleweight division.  By the way wasn't that impressed by KOL when the opened up for U2 during Vertigo.  If that is their main threat U2 has nothing to worry about. 

If being the biggest live act was all that was necessary to be the biggest band in the world, then U2 would have never taken the title from The Rolling Stones in the first place

Rolling Stone named U2 "the band of the 80's" in 1985. They were an incredible live act at that time, but their tours weren't the biggest ticket sellers, compared to Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, and other bands who were big at the time.

My point is, there's more to being the biggest band than ticket sales or album sales. It's much deeper than that.

And also, "biggest band" and "best band" are not synonymous. A news paper article in Toronto may have it's opinion that there will never be another big band, but as long as music is being made, there definitely will be. It's foolish logic, in my opinion, to say "there will never be this.." or "there will never be that..." because frankly, none of us know

Every generation has its own band. While there are some people of "my" generation who listen to U2, U2 is definitely not "the band" of my generation, and their new material isn't really influencing our generation. It's not like how it was with the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Those albums influenced lots of bands and artists.

Being the biggest band in the world or biggest artist in the world is determined by an equal combination of album sales and concert ticket sales. U2 arrived at that point in 1987. In 1987 worldwide, the Joshua Tree Tour showed U2 were a stronger ticket seller than Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen and nearly equal to the Stones. The Joshua Tree album was a huge seller, selling 4 times what the latest Stones release would sell. To this day, they have continued to hold that position, by having the strongest combined ticket sales/Album sales of the latest album/tour in the industry!
That is what I was saying all along but Revolver 7 just doesn't get it with his absurd opinions on KOL, Killers dethroning U2.  Believe me U2 are sleeping well at night if this all the competition they have to worry about.  I think Paul McGuinnes said in an interview in 2005 that if this was boxing, U2 consider themselves the undisputed heavyweight champions of the world and they plan on retiring the champions.  If anyone thinks they can take the title, just declare yourself and step in the ring.  Just be prepared for the fight of your life.

My Prediction:

Kings of Leon:  1st round TKO.  Maybe they should change their name to Princes of Leon.  Not quite the  King Yet.
Killers:  Severely bloodied during the first round.  Knocked out 20 seconds into the 2nd round. Commentators are confused why they call themselves Killers.  Maybe we will find out in the re-match.  Yeah right.
Man, I didn't even get to finish my beer it got over so quickly.
Still undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World-U2!!
Can we find some real competition please!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:12:33 PM by boom boom »

Revolver7

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
The Killers Day & Age and Kings of Leon Only By The Night were released in 2008. The chart info posted above covers sales from 2009.

Those are only small fractions of the overall sales of both those albums. By not covering 2008, you leave out first week numbers, and many many weeks worth of numbers.

Revolver7

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
And Boom Boom, the difference between you and I is that I present my opinion and numbers. You present your opinion as the only right one, and then you attack me personally.

Seriously dude, you definitely need to grow up. This is forum where topics are debated. Only trolls claim to have the know-all end-all opinion on an issue

This is a conversation about whether U2 is still "the biggest band in the world" or "the best band in the world"
Both of those topics are subjective.

If this were a conversation about "who sells the most numbers", you would be correct, because numbers are facts.

However, I'm not talking about just numbers. I use numbers in some of my arguments to support and show where my opinions have come from. But I sure as hell don't call you absurd or ignorant

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:37:47 PM by Revolver7 »

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
The Killers Day & Age and Kings of Leon Only By The Night were released in 2008. The chart info posted above covers sales from 2009.

Those are only small fractions of the overall sales of both those albums. By not covering 2008, you leave out first week numbers, and many many weeks worth of numbers.

1.  I know they were released in 2008, but I think your forgetting that NLOTH has only been out for 8 weeks. So its not exactly accurate to be comparing the sales level of an album that has been out 22 weeks and another one that has been out 31 weeks to an album that was just released 8 weeks ago.

2. So, lets put them on a more level playing field and compare each albums first 8 weeks in the United States, even though Killers and Kings will benefit from having their albums released in 2008 when the market for selling albums was stronger as well as the holiday season:

No Line On The Horizon - first 8 weeks in USA - 853,244

Only By The Night - first 8 weeks in the USA - 210,335

Day And Age - first 8 weeks in the USA - 492,504

So, even though Killers and Kings released their albums in a better market environment in 2008, had the benefit of the Christmas holiday sales, a younger fan base that scoops up product earlier, both albums are still far behind where No Line On The Horizon's current sales are after 8 weeks when all 3 albums are put on a comparitive 8 week scale.

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »
pi**ing contest. Snore.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2009, 09:41:53 PM »
I am not sure what all the numbers being bandied about have to do with the topic of the thread. Besides if numbers of tickets sold or albums sold is what we are going to measure a group by, then neither U2 or The Killers would likely come out on top.  It is really apples and oranges anyway. U2 just on their history alone, is by far a more successful, more popular group than The Killers. However it could just as easily be stated that The Killers are far more popular at this juncture in their career, than U2 where at the some point in their career - in a tougher music business environment by the way.
If I can push things back to the topic a bit, I think U2could easily reach the same people The Killers and others are reaching, if they waned too, if they decide to stop playing to the choir.

Also in my first post I think I said U2 should do a love show on this tour like in Zoo TV and Pop Mart. I am an idiot, obviously they are doing live shows. I mean to say live broadcast.

So, what SHOULD the band do now?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »
Whatever they want, really.