Author Topic: Fez- Being Born is the best song on NLOTH  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
Re: Fez- Being Born is the best song on NLOTH
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it should open the show. The Fez intro would be awesome live!

I agree, but also think it should have been the first song on the album.  Imho, Fez was the perfect song to begin an album with. The way it starts slowly and with its clever use of lyrics like "let me in the sound" followed by primal screams and "being born" references-amazing! This might also be a great opening song for the new tour. My only gripe with the song is that it feels too short just like Cedars...it takes the time to set an incredible mood that just doesn't last long enough sadly. Awesome song :)

Yeh, I completely agree about the opening thing- it would set the tone well for the album, but I get why they chose No Line to open.
They probably kept the song short because the album was already very long. I think Fez should have been shorter whereas *sigh* Unknown Caller should have been shorter.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »
I enjoy this song quite a bit... I just think it ends too soon.

Yeah it is kinda short,  :-\ But it still is pretty good.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »
I caught the closing chords of Fez from a computer in a distant room last night, just between the space on my Shuffle between Drowning Man and Lemon.  Those chords reminded me how much life is in this song and how sonically and lyrically rich it is.  WHERE IS THE LOVE FOR FEZ???  I think it could follow one of the acoustic numbers in the set, allowing us to contemplate a little more before we rocked out again.  2010, perhaps?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
Being Born is great but Fez is a load of rubbish with that silly 'let me in the sound' refrain. Garbage. I like being born a lot though.

Offline thehype88

• Stateless
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
no argument here

Offline IFeelNumb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »
It's my favorite song on the album. There are plenty of good ones, but Fez-Being Born just has the "it" factor for me. I'd like to see them add it to the set list in 2010.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »
I didn't care for the song the first time I heard it. I thought they were trying too hard to have a "creative" song.

It's recently grown on me, but it still has some growing for me to consider it a solid track from them.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
It's just a shame it was never played live, sorry if im spoiling anyone here (Vancouver people reading the forum driving to the show lol). But i think a lot of us knew it wouldnt be recreated live. I'm planning my first trip to Africa next year and although i wont be going to Fez im glad ill have this song as a soundtrack. its an amazing piece.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
Is Fez a different song than Tripoli? Tripoli has been described as lunching between opera music that inevitably breaks into stadium rock. Sounds like a description of Fez...

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 07:31:48 PM »
I've heard Tripoli, it's on youtube, it's awesome

Achtung40Life

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »
link?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

Bono is singing and playing guitar, it's in rough form. It's the clip before the unknown caller chanting which sounds so much better than the final cut!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:44:25 PM by eddyjedi »

Achtung40Life

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »
“Tripoli”
This strikingly experimental song lurches between disparate styles, including near-operatic choral music, Zooropa-style electronics, and churning arena rock.

That's the exact quote from Rolling stone, to me sounds identical to Fez. I hope it's a different song though because I'm always looking forward to 'out-there' U2 music.

deco20

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 06:12:51 AM »
When I first heard Fez, I was blown away! The riff is probably the most militaristic riff I have ever heard. I could imagine the tanks and armies marching to it. Then came the melody with Bono coming in with his howling. Hauntingly beautiful.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »
Yeah Fez is pretty great.  For me I think it's the only song that fits the cover art.  Whenever I hear I can just imagine a movie montage floating over the ocean...gray sky etc.