Author Topic: Fez- Being Born is the best song on NLOTH  (Read 4417 times)

shockdocta22

Re: Fez- Being Born is the best song on NLOTH
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »
its a great song, but i dont think its as experimental as most people say...

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah Fez is pretty great.  For me I think it's the only song that fits the cover art.  Whenever I hear I can just imagine a movie montage floating over the ocean...gray sky etc. 
Fez and Nloth do that for me.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 11:26:30 PM »
its a great song, but i dont think its as experimental as most people say...
It's the type of thing that gets that. SUC is probably more experimental, but barely anyone thinks that.
However, I do think the lyrics and the structure of the lyrics are kinda different, although, a bit close to some of TUF stuff I guess.

Offline U2non

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 07:30:02 AM »

Fez is just about where U2 got interesting on the album.

No Line and Fez hint at what U2 can do. The rest falls into a black hole of terrible production, risible lyrics and average songs

Achtung40Life

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »

No Line and Fez hint at what U2 can do. The rest falls into a black hole of terrible production, risible lyrics and average songs

I'd also add White as Snow in there and then I agree, sadly. I wish I could like the songs, but they are just too overproduced and polished. The ideas are great; Unknown Caller, Moment of Surrender, Magnificent, Breathe. They just missed the mark in the production of the songs, and the fact that some of the album wants to be mainstream while the other songs want to be sort of experimental confuses the listener. It's not a horrible album, I still listen to it as often as any U2 album, it just really hurts when you know what it COULD have been, and what it is instead.

Offline U2non

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:15 AM »

I'd also add White as Snow in there and then I agree, sadly. I wish I could like the songs, but they are just too overproduced and polished. The ideas are great; Unknown Caller, Moment of Surrender, Magnificent, Breathe. They just missed the mark in the production of the songs, and the fact that some of the album wants to be mainstream while the other songs want to be sort of experimental confuses the listener. It's not a horrible album, I still listen to it as often as any U2 album, it just really hurts when you know what it COULD have been, and what it is instead.

I think you're exactly right. It could have been something great but just doesn't get there...

Achtung40Life

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »

I think you're exactly right. It could have been something great but just doesn't get there...

But songs like FEZ, No Line, and Disappearing Act give me hope at what they can accomplished on albums to come. Even Kingdom of Our Love sounds like a great piece, I justy hope they don't make the same mistakes twice.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 08:58:34 AM »

But songs like FEZ, No Line, and Disappearing Act give me hope at what they can accomplished on albums to come. Even Kingdom of Our Love sounds like a great piece, I justy hope they don't make the same mistakes twice.

And I think the only way to not repeat these mistakes is to switch production teams.  Godrich maybe?  Or maybe Edge can do it himself.  Eno is not helping them anymore.  I get the impression the chorus on UC was his idea.  He should be sued for that one.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 01:33:02 PM »

And I think the only way to not repeat these mistakes is to switch production teams.  Godrich maybe?  Or maybe Edge can do it himself.  Eno is not helping them anymore.  I get the impression the chorus on UC was his idea.  He should be sued for that one.

The lyrics in the chorus were different initially; they're on youtube without the computer references when the song was still being recorded. I do feel sometimes that the album is a bit confused as a whole, but I honestly like every song on it, and love about 6 or 7.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 04:39:51 PM »

As I have said before, it is clear as day that they haven't lost their artistic spark at all; they are still being innovative with ideas, even if they don't all come out properly. It is really great to think about that.
I just hope they don't make the same mistakes twice. Magnificent is great but damn it could have been something. I think the original Breathe is better than the finished one (even though I love Breathe). What I think is the problem here is not the producers, but more the time spent retooling songs, over-thinking it, overproducing it. Just do it the way of Zooropa... if you have great ideas, go make them into songs, and get them out there. SOA should be done quickly. The quicker it's released the better the quality of the album.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »
Maybe! For me its a toss up between Fez, No Line On The Horizon, Unknown Caller and Cedars Of Lebanon

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »
What I think is the problem here is not the producers, but more the time spent retooling songs, over-thinking it, overproducing it. Just do it the way of Zooropa... if you have great ideas, go make them into songs, and get them out there. SOA should be done quickly. The quicker it's released the better the quality of the album.

Spot on.

I've pointed this out before, but much of U2's most interesting and challenging work is done really quickly. In my view, outside of NLOTH the best stuff the band has done this decade is from The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. Last decade they did OS1 by The Passengers and, as you mention, Zooropa.

My concern is that if they agonize for two years over SOA we'll get a bunch of songs that sound like Stand Up Comedy. I like that song OK, but it's anything but interesting and challenging in my view.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »
What I think is the problem here is not the producers, but more the time spent retooling songs, over-thinking it, overproducing it. Just do it the way of Zooropa... if you have great ideas, go make them into songs, and get them out there. SOA should be done quickly. The quicker it's released the better the quality of the album.

Spot on.

I've pointed this out before, but much of U2's most interesting and challenging work is done really quickly. In my view, outside of NLOTH the best stuff the band has done this decade is from The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. Last decade they did OS1 by The Passengers and, as you mention, Zooropa.

My concern is that if they agonize for two years over SOA we'll get a bunch of songs that sound like Stand Up Comedy. I like that song OK, but it's anything but interesting and challenging in my view.
Kingdom Of Your Love is straight out of the oven- and it's brilliant. I read that SUC started out really Moroccan. Is it just me or would NLOTH be better, and be viewed as more experimental and fresh, if they had a more Moroccan song instead of the so-so SUC?

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »

Spot on.

Kingdom Of Your Love is straight out of the oven- and it's brilliant. I read that SUC started out really Moroccan. Is it just me or would NLOTH be better, and be viewed as more experimental and fresh, if they had a more Moroccan song instead of the so-so SUC?

Here here!!!!   I thought that was why they spent time in Morocco.  The only Moroccon influence on the album is the first 50 seconds of UC and Fez.  There should have been more than that.  SUC should have been shelved.  "Stand Up...then sit down...for your love"....and "soul rockin people"  makes me cringe.  I cant listen to the song anymore.

Achtung40Life

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »

Spot on.

Here here!!!!   I thought that was why they spent time in Morocco.  The only Moroccan influence on the album is the first 50 seconds of UC and Fez.  There should have been more than that.  SUC should have been shelved.  "Stand Up...then sit down...for your love"....and "soul rockin people"  makes me cringe.  I cant listen to the song anymore.

The album flows a whole lot better if you take out Crazy Tonight and Stand Up, and add Winter. It's just a shame, all the studio video clips of U2 jammin in Morocco sound so raw and, well, Moroccan. It seems to me as if all songs started out from that rawness, and were weathered down to the 'song' we're hearing on No Line. Not only is it overproduced, but the track listing is horrible, absolutely horrible. Here's how I've been listening to the album lately;

1. Fez Being Born
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Breathe (ideally would have preferred the beach version)
4. Magnificent
5. No Line on the Horizon (Version 2)
6. Moment of Surrender
7. White As Snow
8. Unknown Caller
9. Winter
10. Cedars of Lebanon

But I absolutely agree, the sooner we get SOA, the better the material will be. If they don't finished it before the 3rd leg, we're in trouble. That's when they second guess themselves and you know where it goes from there. Pop and Zooropa had deadlines, and look at the material we got from those albums. Arguably U2 in their nudest state. U2 should once again tell themselves 'this album has GOT to be finished before we start touring again, no exceptions, period, if it's unfinished, that's how we'll release it.' They could potentially strike gold with their next album, or they might try handing us fools gold in a year or two. They inevitably control their own destiny.