Author Topic: U2360 - U2 Tours since Zoo TV have been about the visual...  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Igottogo

• Babyface
U2360 - U2 Tours since Zoo TV have been about the visual...
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »
Even the "stripped down" back to the music Elevation tour had its screens and what not.  So, I think what is missing from u2360 is the visual POP (if you will)!

Yeah the stage is going to be really really big, but beyond that, I am not seeing anything that is going to visually "wow" us in all the virtual stuff that has been posted.  Especially for a U2 stadium tour...

Offline tohydroman

• Babyface
Re: U2360 - U2 Tours since Zoo TV have been about the visual...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
Just wait.. untill you see clips in Barcellona and then you'll be amazed.

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just wait.. untill you see clips in Barcellona and then you'll be amazed.

Do you have inside information??  Spill the beans!

Offline tohydroman

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »
No inside info but you know they're gonna whoop the Vertigo stage as they have to outperform themselves.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
All we've seen so far is a crappy rendering of the stage which, no offense to u2.com, looks like was made by someone with a little extra free time as opposed to a professional graphic artist. Also, they probably aren't showing too much on purpose, so I wouldn't worry about visual effects yet.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »
All we've seen so far is a crappy rendering of the stage which, no offense to u2.com, looks like was made by someone with a little extra free time as opposed to a professional graphic artist. Also, they probably aren't showing too much on purpose, so I wouldn't worry about visual effects yet.

I'm sure the were intentionally vague as they hadn't yet really engineered the whole thing. They had the concept and the overall idea hammered out, so the challenge was to provide a three dimensional animated model of a concept that hadn't yet been fleshed out. So what we've got is an animated snapshot. U2 shows have always incorporated groundbreaking technology and the truth is, we have no idea the sort of gadgetry that's going to be housed inside that monstrous frame. I'd expect that it's more than just an empty shell; if they showed us a similar rendering for the Vertigo shows it'd look like a disc and a ramp, and we all know there was more to it than that. I'm not worried at all!

Offline Molson1020

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
Ugh... I am personally not caring about the flare. I want the substance. Give me the music I love. That's the one thing I dislike about U2 shows, they are so choreographed that most of the time there is no room for improvisation.

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
The archived 2005 interview with Willie Williams at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login may foreshadow some elements of the upcoming tour.

The sphere Willie spoke about seems to exist in the illustrations of the new set.

"LD: We'd love to see the non-affordable designs.
WW: Well, they weren't necessarily better. A lot of things came out of the bomb idea before we put that one to bed. We had a collapsing sphere of video LEDs above the stage — a complete sphere of video, which would deconstruct itself and do different things. It was a wonderful sculptural idea, but ultimately, it would have been completely wrong for this show and clearly not affordable."

The predominant use of LED and video in U2 shows has apparently peaked.

"WW: I've said this ad nauseum, but for me, video is where moving lights were at the end of the ‘80s. It's easy now. You just get your [High End Systems] Catalyst™, or your MBox, a bunch of gear. It's affordable. Everybody's got a friend with a DV cam, and you push a button and off you go. At the time, PopMart was supposedly one of U2's sort of “down periods,” and now, every tour out there looks like PopMart. It's all low-res video, and it's easy. And for me, certainly in the context of U2, it's over. There's just no point in it. I'm sure if we did a big video show, we could do it better than anybody else, but we would be competing very much in the same arena. It's very easy to dazzle an audience with video, and I'm not 100% sure that's a battle you can win."

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
one thing I liked in the arena tours I attended was how the band threw lights and images out onto the audience. I am wondering if this might not be taken to a new level for this show. As poor as it is the stage design rendering shows a large parts of the central lighting rig pointing lights into the crowd. I do hope they try something spectacular this time - a la "Pop" or "Zoo TV."

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
Even the "stripped down" back to the music Elevation tour had its screens and what not.  So, I think what is missing from u2360 is the visual POP (if you will)!

Yeah the stage is going to be really really big, but beyond that, I am not seeing anything that is going to visually "wow" us in all the virtual stuff that has been posted.  Especially for a U2 stadium tour...

I cant remember, but does anyone know or remember when stage/visuals/effects and other details of the look and production of Elevation and Vertigo started to get out?

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
I don't know how anyone can assume that U2360 tour will not have enough visual eye candy. All we have seen at this point is 3D image and the actual frame that is being built in Belgium.

All we really know at this point is, it is a big, really big.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
Yeah I don't think we've seen anything yet. What would Zoo TV have looked like at this point? A bunch of scaffolding, asymmetrical in design, with no real rhyme or reason to it. No worries here. I'm sure it'll be dazzling in its finished form.