Author Topic: Unknown Caller- aborted classic....?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
Unknown Caller- aborted classic....?
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
I'm staring at the playlist for the upcoming album. I spot Unknown Caller. U2 doing a song about an Unknown Caller? Sounds intresting. As soon as I get my hands on the album I listen to it.

When the song finished, I thought wow, great song. But like a couple of tracks on NLOTH, it left me with this unsatisfied feeling.

The culprit: INTRO.

Many people LOVE the Eno-esque creativity of the intro, (birds twittering), light instrumental music... a horn...

Wait.

A HORN?

Again, the horn is well loved- according to many, it creates a "mood". It may. It also adds ten seconds to the already bulky intro. 1:00 passes before the word "sunshine" is repeated a couple of times. 1:15 has passed before The Edge comes in and brings life to the piece with his stunning guitar work.
By then, these days, I have already skipped to Crazy. It makes me think of a wonderfully sweet soft drink that has had it's lid open for 1:15. By the time you drink it, the sweetness is still there but the fizz is no more- the drink is flat.
I think this song had the potential to be a classic, but after an unnecessary 6:02 mins... even some of the best of Edges work can't make it what it could have been.
Unknown Caller is an aborted child- killed before it had a chance to brighten the world.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Unknown Caller- aborted classic....?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:31 AM »
There is no horn in the intro.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
Say what you will about Unknown Caller, but the accordian solo rocks. Weird Al is ON FIRE.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think this song had the potential to be a classic, but after an unnecessary 6:02 mins...

There's no need to blame U2 just because you have no attention span.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »

I think this song had the potential to be a classic, but after an unnecessary 6:02 mins... even some of the best of Edges work can't make it what it could have been.

You should study the music and lyric structure before calling it "unnecessary." It's a contrast between dark and light and narrates a grinding story - from the subtle opening to the climatic finish - it is a necessary 6:02 minutes.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »
Unknown Caller is an aborted child- killed before it had a chance to brighten the world.

That statement is still just your opinion.

Streets - one of the most beloved U2 songs with one of the awesomest intro of all times (so the survey says):
40 sec before you hear The Edge
1 minute before you hear Adam and Larry
1min 46sec before you hear Bono

It's all a part of what makes this song the one we love so much.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »
Well I did start a Unknown Caller is Brilliant thread, so that pretty much sums up my feelings. Why does a song that is not a typical U2 song scare people off? Different is good. Change is good. Thats why I like NLOTH. 

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: .
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
Well I did start a Unknown Caller is Brilliant thread, so that pretty much sums up my feelings. Why does a song that is not a typical U2 song scare people off? Different is good. Change is good. Thats why I like NLOTH. 

i agree with you anthony. Unknown Caller is an amazing song. No Line (the album) has a lot of layers to it that I think a lot of people are missing.  You must really listen.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »
I love this song. It was the first song that spoke to me emotion wise. I am hoping to see them play the song live.

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
Re: .
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »
Why does a song that is not a typical U2 song scare people off?

It doesn't scare me off because it's not a typical U2 song. It scares me off because I don't think it is a good U2 song. I hate the main riff, the chanting, the lyrics, the melody, the vocal performance (especially the 2nd verse), the single note guitar hits that start at 2:58, and the solo is so much less than what Edge could do if he gave it more thought. When I think of the best Edge solos, like The Fly, Until the End of the World, Acrobat, New Years Day, etc... these solos are special. This one is something I think anyone could come up with in a few minutes.

It's definitely my least favorite song on the album, and my least favorite U2 song. I understand NLOTH has a lot of layers, layers in which I have already discovered. It's nearly a great album.  In fact, speaking of experimenting, Fez - now that is a really good song. I only wish it was longer.

But all of this is simply my opinion, as I'm sure MANY of you will disagree... and I respect that.  :) It's great that U2's music reaches so many people and in different ways. Take the song Window in the Skies... some of you absolutely think it is dreadful, but it fills me with a LOT of joy. Or the song Playboy Mansion... I think it's one of U2's most interesting songs. Or how about all of Pop... I think it is their 2nd best album, while many are happy U2 left that period of their career.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:28:02 PM by u2bonoman »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Yeah, U2bonoman, Wild Honey fills me with a lot of joy but it is so hated on this forum!

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »
I like Wild Honey, it always makes me think of Zorba the Greek dancing on the beach  :)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:37 AM »
I completely understand that it's a layered song, its just doesn't seem that great. As for my attention span, I think Moment Of Surrender is better, and its almost a whole minute longer.

That statement is still just your opinion.

Streets - one of the most beloved U2 songs with one of the awesomest intro of all times (so the survey says):
40 sec before you hear The Edge
1 minute before you hear Adam and Larry
1min 46sec before you hear Bono

It's all a part of what makes this song the one we love so much.

Of course it's my opinion. But you said it- my favorite U2 song Streets has an AWESOME intro. It fills you up with emotion. That was the intent on UC but i just think they missed the mark on the intro. It's creative, sure, but it has to be more than that if its going to take up a minute from the song.

Also, I should clarify- I don't dislike UC. This is rather about how it COULD have been a classic, but wasn't to be.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 02:54:20 AM »
I'm still unsure about THAT line in the song, but apart from that I like it very much. I think had it been structured more conventionally it would've been much more forgettable. The intro and the ending are very important to the song.

Offline ricky

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »

Kind of like that horror movie (or maybe it was a Twilight Zone episode) where the end of a phone line leads to a cemetery grave.

Edge's guitar work in the last 2 minutes makes up for the first 4:02 minutes.