Author Topic: Unknown Caller- aborted classic....?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: .
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well I did start a Unknown Caller is Brilliant thread, so that pretty much sums up my feelings. Why does a song that is not a typical U2 song scare people off? Different is good. Change is good. Thats why I like NLOTH. 

I think it's funny that the same people who complain that NLOTH wasn't experimental enough are also complaining that the computer chants in Unknown Caller are too weird.

Hmmm... could it be that "experimental" is not always code for "electronic"?

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
Re: Unknown Caller- aborted classic....?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
Unknown Caller is an aborted child- killed before it had a chance to brighten the world.

Wait a second - aborted child? Think you'll find you can only abort embryos and fetuses. If it's a child being terminated it's murder.

Sorry, carry on.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 04:26:53 PM »
Well I did start a Unknown Caller is Brilliant thread, so that pretty much sums up my feelings. Why does a song that is not a typical U2 song scare people off? Different is good. Change is good. Thats why I like NLOTH. 

I think it's funny that the same people who complain that NLOTH wasn't experimental enough are also complaining that the computer chants in Unknown Caller are too weird.

Heh, exactly. It seems quite a few fans want them to "experiment" in the exact same way they did in the 90s, which to me, by definition, would not be "experimental". On No Line, there are sounds and styles we've never really heard from the band before (so much chanting and choral singing).

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »

Heh, exactly. It seems quite a few fans want them to "experiment" in the exact same way they did in the 90s, which to me, by definition, would not be "experimental". On No Line, there are sounds and styles we've never really heard from the band before (so much chanting and choral singing).

Exactly. Listen to Breathe. Like it or not, it's completely different from anything they've ever done. The time signature is unconventional, the free-flowing verses are unique, the "These days" part is not repeated before the second chorus, &c. After my first listen I just thought, "What WAS that I just heard?"

That said, if U2 had released a shorter album without Crazy, Boots, and Comedy, it may have satisfied those longing for something ballsier. I certainly would have preferred that, although once a song is released I can't just ignore it. That's why I created two different playlists (Daylight on the Horizon, and Darkness on the Horizon) as I mentioned here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
Unknown Caller is an aborted child- killed before it had a chance to brighten the world.

Wait a second - aborted child? Think you'll find you can only abort embryos and fetuses. If it's a child being terminated it's murder.

Sorry, carry on.

Might want to consult embryological discoveries related to the concept of "unborn child."

And you're right, children being terminated is murder -- or infanticide. Thus the pro-life movement.

Apologies as well.

+++

Someone mentioned a choral component to NLOTH. Absolutely.

And the ensemble quality of a few of the songs, like "Unknown Caller" is an element I hadn't really considered as the new aesthetic of this album.

It's been mentioned somewhere by someone concerning U2 should move, officially to a six-man band...Now while The Passengers might fit that bill a little more, I think the new aesthetic of this album if there is one, are these few tunes that bear a greater contribution from Eno and Lanois.

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
To those pointing out the fact that you can't abort a child  :D, you know what I meant!

I just felt like engaging in random pedantry, but to be honest it's kinda cost me. It seems to have drawn a pro-lifer into the thread, and I can't find my gun.

Offline xeo

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
Hmm. I absolutely love the intro. Also love Edge's solo at the end, and have even gotten used to the computer lyrics. It has slowly become one of my favourite songs on the album, which fascinates me because at first I couldn't help but cringe during the chorus. It kind of reminds me of when Achtung Baby came out. I wasn't really sure if I liked the album at all, and in retrospect it was because it was just so different and unexpected. At the time, I would have laughed if anyone told me I'd one day like it better than JT, but that day eventually came. With Unknown Caller, I feel a similar thing happening.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
To those pointing out the fact that you can't abort a child  :D, you know what I meant!

I just felt like engaging in random pedantry, but to be honest it's kinda cost me. It seems to have drawn a pro-lifer into the thread, and I can't find my gun.
LOL
And i'm starting to become more attatched to UC... I don't know why.

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »
And i'm starting to become more attatched to UC... I don't know why.

It's because you started a thread about how you have some sort of issue with it. I remember someone effectively converting themselves to "Miami" after doing a similar thread...