Poll

Would you rather have another unconventional tour ala ZooTV tour, or a more straightforward affair?

Crazy!
27 (62.8%)
not so crazy
16 (37.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Crazy tour or stripped-down tour  (Read 11590 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Crazy tour or stripped-down tour
« on: December 13, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »
Because we've all been hearing these quotes about how innovative and ground-breaking the new album's going to be, would it be more fitting to have a crazy intense show like in the 90's? Can they really put together a tour that can generally surprise us after the likes of ZooTV and Popmart? Should they take such a risk at this stage in their careers. I say yes!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Crazy tour or stripped-down tour
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »
Let's go crazy!!!!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »
Vertigo tour in Europe was impressive - mega screen etc - but something different to challenge all the 'pretenders' would be great!!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
Strip it down !!
No screens, no effects just some ligthing obviously or we wouldn't be see them. Just the music please.....and plenty of it Springsteenesque shows with 27 songs!

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »
I think today's tours have to be somewhat crazy with big screens and cool lightling especially in stadiums so people can see.  That's fine but I don't want any giant fruit for this tour  :P

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:22:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Strip it down !!
No screens, no effects just some ligthing obviously or we wouldn't be see them. Just the music please.....and plenty of it Springsteenesque shows with 27 songs!
I liked that aspect of the Elevation tour tremendously.  The band came on stage with the house lights up.  The focus was not on the mega screen or the light show, but the music, where it belongs.  Once the lights went down, that kicked it into overdrive, but the set rarely went much beyond a video screen for each band member and a few set/lighting pieces, at least until the 9/11 banner, which again was so simple, but so powerful.  The lighting effects were added where they worked and were hidden away when they weren't needed.  Interesting (to me at least) is that that version of Streets is one of the most lighting intensive, with the white lights going crazy, but that intensity is built on the fact that the lighting tricks have been used sparingly all night.  That tour was also almost revolutionary in its contrast to PopMart.

I could go for a Springsteenesque set of 27+ songs, so I voted to strip it down.

The answer I wanted to give was c) let the mood of the album determine the mood of the tour.  Pop almost demanded PopMart, and Elevation's return to the basics almost demanded a simple stage design. These 2 things (album and tour) don't exist in isolation, of course, they decide them somewhat concurrently.  So what we are really debating is do you want an album with songs that work well in a crazy tour or do you want an album with songs that work well in a stripped down fashion?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:23:58 PM by mschaus »

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
Strip that tour.

A few cool lighting effects and another unique stage design would be fine, but otherwise, U2 need to focus on the music. I'm a big fan of the PopMart show, but an expanded setlist covering all or at least most of their career (Pop! TUF! October! Deep-album cuts from TJT!) would be best, instead of all-new razzle dazzle.

Who'm I kidding? They'll go for the all-new razzle dazzle and I will thank them for it.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Strip that tour.

A few cool lighting effects and another unique stage design would be fine, but otherwise, U2 need to focus on the music. I'm a big fan of the PopMart show, but an expanded setlist covering all or at least most of their career (Pop! TUF! October! Deep-album cuts from TJT!) would be best, instead of all-new razzle dazzle.

Who'm I kidding? They'll go for the all-new razzle dazzle and I will thank them for it.

Love that idea of a 'deep cuts' tour - maybe they could start doing some of that stuff on the 'b' stage or end of the 'heart' and we could have best of both worlds? Lets campaign!!

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 03:00:34 AM »

Crazy, over-the-top, full-on insanity please! More screens, more lights, more walkways through the audience, more giant cocktails. Popmart is the only tour I've not seen since 1989 and it's my only U2 regret.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
Crazy!

I'm hoping to see them live for the first time, so I want to see something like Zoo TV or Popmart up close.

I want their to be flashing lights, amazing colors, giant video screens, maybe a giant lime this time.

I want their to be so many things going on that I have an epileptic seizure!.....ok maybe not....

I would love something big, though, along with great music!  ;D

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
Maybe I'm just dreaming of the Zoo, but I would love to be dazzled on this tour. I've never seen them live either, and I know I'll remember it no matter what kind of a concert it is, but I'd still love to just let go of all reason and immerse myself in light and sound and color and... Aw, why am I trying to describe it? I'm game for whatever they come up with.  :D

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
U2's monastic attitude toward self-indulgent tours has gone on long enough.  Bring on the excess, baby!  (Still, I'll be content with any sort of tour.)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL!!!

Bigger than ZOO TV, bigger than PopMart, kick it up another notch.

And give it a cool name like ZOO TV or Popmart.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 05:29:20 AM »
Strip  ;)

More music less drama

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »
I agree, Starfish.  There should definitely be some stripping going on.  (Huh?  That's not what you meant?)